Steering wheel audio controls W/aftermarket head unit?

Timer

LVC Member
Reaction score
I recently picked up an 02 V8 and in less than 200 miles have fallen in love with it! I want to add a double DIN DVD NAV head unit (the previous owner put in a cheap DUAL unit) but I am wondering if anybody knows of a company that has a harness to allow the stock steering wheel controls to remain functional with their head units?

I have the same problem with mine, when I bought it it had an aftermarket touch screen radio but the steering wheel controls don't work, some of the local custom stereo shops said they might be able to get it working but it wasn't really a big deal to me, it would be nice though.

Check out the PAC SWI-JACK Steering Wheel Radio Control Interface. It worked in my 03 Thunderbird which has a lot of commonality with the LS. It interfaces with most of the major head unit brands.

I'd be interested in whatever you find. The stupid steering wheel controls is one reason why I haven't swapped mine out yet. :)

ive just learned to go without them...id save the headache for the whole speaker system rewiring that the previous owner had messed up.

ive just learned to go without them...id save the headache for the whole speaker system rewiring that the previous owner had messed up.

Anyone got the electrical manual for these things? Be interesting to see where the pinouts feed to under the dash.

if it was any easier, i caveman could do it.

yes the SWI-JACK is a correct part if you have a Alpine, Clarion, JVC, and Kenwood stereos that has a wired remote control input (just about every nav system will, and the top 60% of their regular lineups will)

the SWI-PS is a correct part if you have a Dual, Jensen, Pioneer, or Sony stereo that has wired remote control input (bout the same as above)

now the axxess AWSC wors for just about every brand, and actually programs itself, however as i have used them before, i have not used one in a LS yet.

i feel like there is something i'm missing...

ohhhhh yea, next time just search!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://tinyurl.com/6k4evy8

yes the SWI-JACK is a correct part if you have a Alpine, Clarion, JVC, and Kenwood stereos that has a wired remote control input (just about every nav system will, and the top 60% of their regular lineups will)

the SWI-PS is a correct part if you have a Dual, Jensen, Pioneer, or Sony stereo that has wired remote control input (bout the same as above)

now the axxess AWSC wors for just about every brand, and actually programs itself, however as i have used them before, i have not used one in a LS yet.

+1

either of these will work. as long as your head unit has steering wheel capability. you program one steering wheel button at a time to perform each function. the instructions they come with aren't the best. but between the instruction manual and the online help, its possible.

Great info, thanks! And, I like the link. :)

This is the one I used for my Alpine IVA-W200:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-xtcavh4ggt9/p_127SWIALP/PAC-SWI-ALP.html

As G-RELL mentioned the instructions are not the best. The shop that did my install did a great job with the factory double din bezel and the box and amp install but they could not get the controler to work. I had to pull it out and wire it up myself.... took a couple hours but it was no big deal. The shop had missed one step in the instructions that kept the whole thing from working.

I will say the response from the button push is not the same as with factory controls... there is a bit of a delay and you have to push the button harder/longer.

Yes what all these guys said works. I have the SWI-PS in my LS for my Pioneer Avic & it has worked great for well over a year now.

yea the instructions that come in the package would be hard to follow if you dont do this all the time, BUT if you go to PAC's website and pick your module and enter your car, it will give you step by step instructions that are made just for your car so they are much easier to follow since you dont have to flip back and forth between two different guides.

the only exception is the 03's, it seems like there are a few that use the old wiring harness (like my car and another one ive done has) and most of them have the newer harness (the 03 and up harness) the instructions they give will be for the newer harness, if you have one of the earily production 03's, then just follow the instructions for the 02 LS.

also i have noticed that the firmware version for the SWI-PS will make a difference in the amount of delay the button has, the factory radio has no delay what so ever, the older swi-ps has about a second delay (you have to hold the button down longer) and the newer version has about a half a second delay (not perfect but much better)

Members online

No members online now.
Back