Jag Shocks

Nice.I like the progress.

Props to you for coming out of nowhere and pursuing this. :Beer

Newb with a question. Don't know if this has been asked/answered before, but does anyone know if the LS suspension subframes are the same as the Thunderbird? KW has a coil-over kit for the T-Bird that might fit.

Your welcome for bringing back this old thread :)

Check these out. Thunderbird equals LS, right?
http://www.autoanything.com/suspension-systems/61A3342A0A0A2594315.aspx

Also available for the S-Type:
http://www.autoanything.com/suspension-systems/61A3342A0A0A2051620.aspx

Guess they forgot the LS existed.

My other thought is what was the result of the S-Type lower control arm?

S-Type:
!BvU3ELgEWk~$(KGrHqMOKi0EwP)SYcysBMEFFJNZRQ~~_35.jpg

LS:
!BozWLmgBmk~$(KGrHqEOKicEuZP-c9znBLo7bmQBjg~~_35.jpg

2,100 for suspension? Ridic, Id rather buy the Stoptech fronts.

So do the Jag arms fit or what?

Jag front suspension was the same for 99-02 S-Type, 00-06 LS, & 02-05 Thunderbird. They changed the front suspension setup for the 03 & up. But the rear sub-frame stayed the same. IDK if you could swap the whole thing from one to the other.

well my ex has the control arm at her place.....so she prob threw it away, never got to put it on....but just imagine the possibility if the lower control arm does fit......S-Type R front brakes??? hahaha i dont know, upper control arms too???

the control arms both look the same for the Jag and LS but on the Jag's lower control arm; the shock mount is thinner than the LS' s, cuz the Jag's bottom shock mount is thinner than the LS' s bottom shock mount. Thats about how much i found out with the experiment.

I left my coffee maker with my ex once. It was dead a half an hour later.:frown:

Hello, remember me?
My conclusion at the moment is that just buy the Bilstein Sport shocks from the SType then use washers on the lower shock mount to get the fitment tight on the LS.
Has anyone pursued this Bilstein/ washer mounting?

i havent bought the shocks yet. Heres the part numbers for Bilstein Sport shocks, which are said to be better for lowered cars than the HD shock....

front: F4-BE3-6779-H0

REAR: F4-BE5-6778-H0

I prob get the shocks after i get a LSD....maybe by then KW will make coilovers for the Linc......???

Did you check the KW setup for the Thunderbird?

An awfully long time with no report on progress. Something must have gone south.

i was searching for cheaper coilovers than the s-type and found a couple interesting leads...... the 2006+ Lexus is250/350 shocks have the same style bottom mounts as the LS but im not sure of the shock top plate or the width of the bottom shock mount.

The junkyard here has a is250 but i havnt had the time to pick them up.

so far i think the Lexus shock will work on the Linc, just gotta fit them and see.

i googled images the is250 shock and their stock shock looks like the same bottom shock mount style as the Linc. The Lexus coilovers are only $650 on ebay.

on the Lexus forums the people say the IS250/350 weighs 3600+lbs

---------------------------------

Also, it looks like the mk3 Supra (87-92) has the same bottom shock mounts as the Linc, but i read that the Supra weighs about 600lbs less than the Linc. Supra shocks would be easier to get than the Lexus' but i wonder if the differences in vehicles weight affects spring rate or whatevs...i'll try n junkyard the IS250 shocks if its still at the junkyard this weekend.

Let's bump this again to see if there has been any progress on shocks for our cars.

Zombie thread. mmmm, postttsssss.

I'm doing some work on crossing over the s-type shocks, but don't have anything definitive. What I do know is:
- Same style upper mount, direct fit (use jag mount in an LS)
- Compressed length Jag shocks are about 1/8" longer
- Jag shocks have about an inch more travel (longer uncompressed)
- LS has a wider seat in the control arm, so you'd need to use thick washers/spacers or change the LCA
- Same style bumpers and seat for the shock itself (jag bumpers seems shorter in length)

What I haven't verified:
- Spring seat location on the shock and distance from the lower mount
- If the shock geometry is different due to the different LCA
- If the extended suspension range of motion from a longer uncompressed length causes sway-bar/LCA interference
- If the UCA is different to allow for an extended range of suspension travel (being the short arm and all)

Since the Jag shocks compressed length (assuming spring seat is in same position) is longer then the stock shock, this won't help anyone who is lowered and already bottoming out. If anything it would be marginally worse. A different shock might help prevent bottoming out depending upon the valving.

The only other things that worries me is that extra inch of travel on the Jag shocks. With my LS up in the air and the suspension fully unloaded, the sway bar is very close to the LCA. My concern is that allowing the suspension another potential 1" of swing might allow the sway bar to contact the LCA. This is why the LCA on the LS and Jag may be different, resulting in a different lower mounting eye. This slack could also be taken up in the geometry of the mounting, meaning that where the shock mounts in relation to the upper mount could be further towards the outside of the car. This means that you would have more shock travel in the same amount of suspension motion which in theory would allow a lesser spec shock to feel like it has more dampening.

To know for sure I will need to purchase a set of jag shocks and try mounting them on both sides (without springs) and seeing what kind of interference there might be in the suspensions range of motion. What I think (or hope) it is is a combination of both. I believe the curved S part of the LCA that goes for the forward bushing on the frame may be a little more aggressively curved to provide clearance. If the shock mount is also further out that would help the shock/spring do its job in terms of controlling vehicle momentum.

I'm sure that's not the "IT WERKS!" answer you want, but that's what I've found out. :)

Here's what I mean about the LCA and Sway Bar potentially hitting. They are only about a 1/4" apart right now at it's extremeties. Plus if you over-extend the UCA you could bend/break the arm or screw up the ball joint:
brake-upg-complete.jpg

Thanks Kumba. Just the kind of information I was looking for. Since I am a long way from any speed shops or suspension Gurus, I am totally at the mercy of more adventurous forum members.

Thanks Kumba. Just the kind of information I was looking for. Since I am a long way from any speed shops or suspension Gurus, I am totally at the mercy of more adventurous forum members.

You can go to a junkyard, find an s-type, pop the shocks out, and see if they suspension binds up anywhere. If it doesn't, then the shock can be used. Either by changing the LCA, or using washers on the lower mount. I just have enough irons in the fire at the moment so that project is a little lower on the list. I'm still monkeying around with brakes and fixing stuff that is wearing out :)

As a side note, a 2005 Ford Thunderbird weighs the same as my 2006 Lincoln LS. The shocks are different between the two. I would have to do some research, but considering the thunderbird was designed to be a "Sporty Roadster", the shock might be more aggressive in terms of valving. Yet one more possible option. The S-Type is the only one with Bilstein offerings, and only in their B4 touring shocks. No guarantee those are any better then sports to begin with.

Follow up: Appears the LS and the Thunderbird have the same physical shock. Only thing I would need to verify is where the spring seat is at on the body. Monroe and Ford list different part numbers, so chances are the internal valving is different. Considering the LS and the Thunderbird weigh about the same (LOL!), makes you wonder if the Thunderchicken shock is more of a sporty set-up.

Things that make you go Hmmmm. :)

You can go to a junkyard, find an s-type, pop the shocks out, and see if they suspension binds up anywhere. If it doesn't, then the shock can be used. Either by changing the LCA, or using washers on the lower mount. I just have enough irons in the fire at the moment so that project is a little lower on the list. I'm still monkeying around with brakes and fixing stuff that is wearing out :)

As a side note, a 2005 Ford Thunderbird weighs the same as my 2006 Lincoln LS. The shocks are different between the two. I would have to do some research, but considering the thunderbird was designed to be a "Sporty Roadster", the shock might be more aggressive in terms of valving. Yet one more possible option. The S-Type is the only one with Bilstein offerings, and only in their B4 touring shocks. No guarantee those are any better then sports to begin with.
Salvage yards where I live do not even have Lincoln LS parts, Jaguars are out of the question.:D

Members online

Back