ACCEL Ignition COP install

DUDE he is saying the coils aren't anymore reliable over stock... Stop driving your car if the CEL is flashing..your going to destroy your CATS... then your in for a pricy repair... the only time the CEL flashes is if there is a change to damage CATS....... the price difference from the accels and stock is like 50 bucks.... make the decision for yourself....

I ended up ordering the Accels, now I'm just waiting for them to arrive. I got them for $200 shipped to my door. To the people that have done this mod before though what size U Clips did you use?

Getting a misfire...

thinking about getting these.

Anymore personal experiences/stories about these from GEN II guys?

sorry if i missed a thread somewhere

I have been away for a while & would also like to know where the group is at in regards to replacement coils.

MMAFIGHTER's sig is correct. In order for these COP's to work you must switch the wires on all 8 COP connectors. Here's the thread about how to do that. http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=73132&highlight=coils However...in the thread he pryed up a few times on the red retainer clip, I broke my first one that way. If you pry up one click and grab the middle part of the red retainer clip with some needle nose pliers and pull it out, you are less likely to break it.

100_1411.jpg

I have had my Accel's for a month or so and they are doing great so far. I have tried several brackets for mounting the COP's and have finally perfected the brackets (patent pending...j/k) with some 1/2" aluminum I had left over from work. I have tried the Accel boot in several different positions to get the best fit in the plug well and had the best fit being the way they came out of the box.

100_1428.jpg

So i cant seem to find the second "clip" that's preventing me from pulling out the little connectors/cables or w.e they are called.

Help...please....

Update!

Finally got these working. Thanks MMAfighter for the help, and the other guys who had write ups. Now shes running great. In fact she's running so good, that i call her the mustang gt killer :D... just wishful thinking lol

Here's my experience:
Even after i got the wiring done, she wasn't running right. Until I finally decided to remove the boots and springs that came with the coils and re-use my old ones. I don't think the problem was that the boots weren't working properly or defective, but rather not being able to secure the coils properly due to the shape of the boots. If you plan on doing this, i would recommend NOT using the accel boots and save yourself a headache. But again that's my experience, others might tell you otherwise. Anyway, thats my $.02.

Would def recommend these coils. But if you can afford the OEM ones, then by all means get those instead.

Why did you get these mlara? Cheaper? Does it run smoother than with stock coils?

Why did you get these mlara? Cheaper? Does it run smoother than with stock coils?

Mainly bc i needed them bad, and didnt want to drop so much on motorcraft ones. I cant really speak objectively about whether or not they make the car run smoother than with OEMs but i can say the misfire is gone, and power has certainly been restored. I believe the shes running properly.

For those that get all excited about reading that coil x or y produces higher voltage, please be aware that the coil only produces the voltage required to jump the spark plug gap. The voltage will vary based on the connection from the coil to the plug, the condition of the plug, gap, etc. It is the spark plug, not the coil that will produce a "stronger" spark. If you have shot plugs, bad coil to plug connection, then a coil with a higher voltage rating may help. However, having good plugs that are properly installed will do just as much as a coil with a higher voltage rating. If one is doing his weekly replacement ;) of the shorted LS coils, looking for a good quality replacement is more important than a higher voltage rating.

SSSSHHHHHHH!!! Don't spoil the surprise!

The big drivers around here for COP swaps are actually price, availability and reliability.

I have been running Accel COPs a little more than four years. They still work just fine, but as part of this winter's upgrading, I'll go to an aftermarket set of coils, much as is seen on the latest chibbie engines, and adapt them to the AJ.

KS

For those that get all excited about reading that coil x or y produces higher voltage, please be aware that the coil only produces the voltage required to jump the spark plug gap. The voltage will vary based on the connection from the coil to the plug, the condition of the plug, gap, etc. It is the spark plug, not the coil that will produce a "stronger" spark. If you have shot plugs, bad coil to plug connection, then a coil with a higher voltage rating may help. However, having good plugs that are properly installed will do just as much as a coil with a higher voltage rating. If one is doing his weekly replacement ;) of the shorted LS coils, looking for a good quality replacement is more important than a higher voltage rating.

thanks for the info but this has already been discussed in this thread. Most of us who have gotten these got them because of their availability and price.

i was online looking around for some ignition coils for my 2000 Ls V8 and i saw this and i was wondering if anyone has tried the MSD ignition coils for the 4.6/5.4 liter ford engine on the 3.9 engine. Since the accel ones work im assuming that the MSD ones will also work but i was just wondering if anyone has tried them?

I just installed these today and I was able to use the stock covers. I placed the covers over the coils to see what the difference was and they where only about 1/8-1/4" away from seating correctly. So I pushed down on the cover and it sat flat like it should. There wasn't much resistance. All bolts screwed in without issue. Ill run it as is for a week or two and then I'll inspect everything. Thoughts?IMG_3891.jpgIMG_3892.jpgIMG_3893.jpgIMG_3894.jpg

IMG_3891.jpg

IMG_3892.jpg

IMG_3893.jpg

IMG_3894.jpg

Did you modify the connectors in any way?

Nope. I used the stock coil boots though, which are a bit shorter than the accel boots. I placed the coil plug in the same orientation as the stock coils (toward the front of the car) to keep the harness in its original location. I didn't use anything to bolt the coils down. With the cover on, there's nowhere for them to go. Not to mention the cover is pressing down on them slightly. I drove it around last night and all day today without issue.

Like I said, I didnt have to force the cover on. I simply pressed down on it slightly. The cover ends up pressing the coil so that the plug is parallel to the cam cover like the stock coil plug. Since the boot and spring are flexible, there should be no problems. The actual coils are the same size as stock. The only reason why there is interference with the cover is because the accel plug is at an angle. From what I had read on here, the threads made it seem like the reason the cover wouldnt work was because the coils themselves were larger, in addition to the angled plug of course. Has no one else even attempted to reuse the coil cover?

From what I had read on here, the threads made it seem like the reason the cover wouldnt work was because the coils themselves were larger

nope, one member cut into the coils and used epoxy to "straightening" out the connector so its no longer at an angle

Has no one else even attempted to reuse the coil cover?

most people were just not comfortable with the extra force being applied to the coils connector...

I read through a lot of threads before doing the swap. I didn't want to modify the connector. I was planning on bolting it down like some of the other members have done and leaving the coils exposed. That was until I realized how little effort it took to just put the cover on.

I read through a lot of threads before doing the swap. I didn't want to modify the connector. I was planning on bolting it down like some of the other members have done and leaving the coils exposed. That was until I realized how little effort it took to just put the cover on.

Did you swap the wires in the plug??

Members online

Back