2005 Cadillac STS

Ron

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking to buy a 2005 or younger Cadillac STS.

Does anybody have information about engine problems with the V6 version and the V8 version?
Is there anyhting specific I should watch out for???
How long do the V6 and V8 engines last?????

Any information is appreciated!!!!

Thanks,

Ron

I own a '05 STS-V8 with 190,000 miles and it still runs great. Here are some things to watch out for:

1. Possible power steering problems due to either the rack or power steering pump--usually the pump.

2. Be aware that these newer engines can burn oil to varying degrees, so you may want to inquire as to how much oil the STS burns. If you're told 1 quart every thousand miles then that is not out of the ordinary. I've seen a few posts from people who claim their 2005+ STS burns little oil.

3. Some STS-V8 with AWD may need its PCM (Powertrain Control Module) software upgraded due to harsh shifting. This will require you to have it done at a Cadillac dealership. If the car is under warranty it will be done free of charge.

4. In October 2010, GM notified owners that some '05 STS-V8 have experienced premature catalytic converter failures. Accordingly, GM has extended the warranty on catalytic converters to either 10 years or 200,000 miles, whichever comes first. If one or both converters fail, the vehicle must be brought to a Cadillac dealership where the failed converter(s) will be replaced free of charge.

Members online

Back