what does everyone think about the LS ? post manufacturing end

Don't do it. There is a reason the LS (and other performance cars) use a 2-piece drive shaft. Research why the LS uses a 2-piece vs. a "normal" single shaft.

It's easier and cheaper to make a sloppy 2-piece then to balance a 1-piece precisely.

The critical driveline speed is higher on a 2-piece with the same specs as a 1-piece.

A 2-piece has more clearance then a one-piece (although I doubt it with an IRS rear)

Don't think I missed much. I'm just not a fan of the 2-piece design. At 41K miles mine needs a CSB or something already. Got a nice distinct humm/vibration at about 75 that is not tires/balljoints/alignment/rims/etc. Guess it could be CV Axles, but I don't hear that familiar clicking sound or other tale tale signs.

My whole thing is to research other OEM parts and see what I can swap out. I spend hours doing that, but it's fun when it pays off. That 12.6" brake upgrade probably had around 20 hours or so in checking and cross checking and visual checks etc etc. Fabrication is only a last resort, but this LS will need a few things fabbed up I'm sure. What i'm currently working on is a 1-piece OE driveshaft replacement, but I need to get a flange-flange measurement before that happens :)

To tell you the truth I am "into" the fab part. I work sheetmetal/composites on airplanes for a living and have done it for over 30 yrs, so I look for stuff to make. Right now I am teaching at a Community College and have a whole shop at my disposal! :D

I need to get deeper into the OEM swapping stuff. Seems like there are lots of mods you can do with a little tweeking. Someone needs to make a running list of the mods they did with parts and numbers as a guide for us slower on the research part. Hey maybe we can start a new section on this site for just parts that will swap out and the mods needed?

How does the LS stand out from any other car?
It is visually unassuming and strongly resembles other cars. The styling cues borrow heavily from more widely recognized cars.

And the performance was respectable, but hardly a class leader.

Furthermore, they never made a halo-version of the car, like a "V" version or "SVT," to capture the imagination of the public.

The fact that it was a RWD Lincoln, and not even the last one since the Town Car remained in production, means that, at best, it will be a bit of Ford/Lincoln trivia, not an icon like the pony cars.

As much as I like the LS I too believe it will fade away...unfortunately. :(

It's a great looking car as we all know and I've had tons of compliments on mine from, "That's tight", "bad-ass", Nice Beemer etc. But, it's amazing to me that when I bought the car even some of my hard core Ford friends didn't even know what it was and thought it was a V-6 front wheel drive.

As much as I like the LS I too believe it will fade away...unfortunately. :(

It's a great looking car as we all know and I've had tons of compliments on mine from, "That's tight", "bad-ass", Nice Beemer etc. But, it's amazing to me that when I bought the car even some of my hard core Ford friends didn't even know what it was and thought it was a V-6 front wheel drive.

I had a MECHANIC think mine was a mitsubishi diamante!!!:eek:

To tell you the truth I am "into" the fab part. I work sheetmetal/composites on airplanes for a living and have done it for over 30 yrs, so I look for stuff to make. Right now I am teaching at a Community College and have a whole shop at my disposal! :D

I need to get deeper into the OEM swapping stuff. Seems like there are lots of mods you can do with a little tweeking. Someone needs to make a running list of the mods they did with parts and numbers as a guide for us slower on the research part. Hey maybe we can start a new section on this site for just parts that will swap out and the mods needed?

I didn't mind fabbing stuff when I had a machine shop at my disposal either. Kind of difficult when I don't have it anymore. So instead, I look for bolt-on's first, and then fab second. The good part of a bolt on is anyone can do it in a weekend :)

. Seems like there are lots of mods you can do with a little tweeking. Someone needs to make a running list of the mods they did with parts and numbers as a guide for us slower on the research part. Hey maybe we can start a new section on this site for just parts that will swap out and the mods needed?

That's a good idea. Its not like most people keep that info to themselves so their one of the few who have "that" mod. Usually whoever finds a new use from another make of car is to excited to keep quiet so they post about it. It would great to have a stickey on that !

That's a good idea. Its not like most people keep that info to themselves so their one of the few who have "that" mod. Usually whoever finds a new use from another make of car is to excited to keep quiet so they post about it. It would great to have a stickey on that !

We could break it down by section...wheels, drivetrain, interior, exterior, misc.

Members online

No members online now.
Back