04 LS V6 Catalytic Converter - Need Help

pkerrigan21

LVC Member
Reaction score
I tried finding threads that would help facilitate and answer to my question, but was hard pressed to find one. If someone knows of feel free to insert here before everyone needs to post:

I need a new passanger side catalytic converter - rode on my misfires too long evidently. I am replacing all of the coils, boots, sparks, gaskets, o-rings, etc. tonight.

Question: Do I need to buy the whole assembly for the catalytic converter or can I simple just buy the piece itself?

Also, the dealer said it was $800 from Ford, but I found this website where they were much cheaper. Obviously cheaper means not as good, but I am curious if these fit, and if I need to buy the whole assembly or not?

Wasn't sure if Lincoln had specific ones..

Thanks again!

When I bought my car the previous owner obviously didn't maintain the car and both cats were shot. I ended up doing a full exhaust system setup, got in magnaho's high flow cats with 2'5 inch piping and mufflers with tips for less than 1200. You can buy direct fit or Universals just make sure the in and out match the piping diameter of your exhaust. I would replace both..

www.rockauto.com

They have direct fit replacements as well. Around $210 each.

Let me know what you end up doing... mine need to be replaced as well. Pulled codes P0420 and P0153 from it yesterday. I've seen P0420 before and it is cat related, never seen P0153 before but can indicate the same.

Last edited:
www.rockauto.com

They have direct fit replacements as well. Around $210 each.

Let me know what you end up doing... mine need to be replaced as well. Pulled codes P0420 and P0153 from it yesterday. I've seen P0420 before and it is cat related, never seen P0153 before but can indicate the same.

P0153 is almost always a bad sensor. This code says it's the upstream sensor before the catalytic converter meaning it could be affecting your engine performance. Fix your upstream sensor(wiring or bad sensor) first before messing with the cat or rear sensors.

P0153 is almost always a bad sensor. This code says it's the upstream sensor before the catalytic converter meaning it could be affecting your engine performance. Fix your upstream sensor(wiring or bad sensor) first before messing with the cat or rear sensors.

Thanks, I'll check the sensor and wiring first. When I had the code checked I asked the guy at the Zone which side was bank 1 (I already knew but asked anyway). He said "Driver side. It's always the driver side."
That is NOT correct for my car. Bank 1 is the side of the engine that has cylinder 1, right? Well, that's the passenger side (1,2,3 pass and 4,5,6 driver). Not sure why I keep asking them for advise. I need to keep it to select materials only with them.

Again - Novice here - I had the code: P0420 come up on mine. I believe this is the passanger side Cat correct?

Should I check the wiring/sensor before messing with the cat then? Any easy/simple way to do this or will I need some sensor test equipment?

Thanks in advance

As it says in the link I provided: " Inspect the downstream heated oxygen sensor (HO2), replace if necessary". Downstream means after the catalytic converter which is the sensor farther away from the engine.

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0420

That code is usually a bad sensor, but it could be a bad cat. You could try buying a new sensor, which several members on here say it fixed that code, or you can use another trick like the non-fouler trick to eliminate the code. I recently had a member on here tell me that this worked for him. If you don't know what the non-fouler trick is then:
http://www.bing.com/search?q=non+fo...BLH&qs=SC&sk=SC2&pq=non-foulder+&sp=3&sc=8-12

Funny I heard the same thing about the non-fouler .... well over 800 miles without a 420 code ;)

My apologies Mechanicboy - I went to the bottom link and not the top link. So then do o2 sensors after the catalytic converter effect gas mileage, or is that the o2 sensor that regulates temperature and what not?

I am only saying this because my MPG is very low for an 06' only 13 mpg in the city. I also wanted to know if it is bad to just do a straight pipe to the exhaust and use a simulator instead. I know this is illegal in some states, but was curious if that was bad for the car or sounded bad or whatever.

thanks

My apologies Mechanicboy - I went to the bottom link and not the top link. So then do o2 sensors after the catalytic converter effect gas mileage, or is that the o2 sensor that regulates temperature and what not?

I am only saying this because my MPG is very low for an 06' only 13 mpg in the city. I also wanted to know if it is bad to just do a straight pipe to the exhaust and use a simulator instead. I know this is illegal in some states, but was curious if that was bad for the car or sounded bad or whatever.

thanks

The O2 sensor before the cat regulates fuel mixture. The downstream (after cat) measures how well the cat is working. A P420 code on an LS is the passenger side (Bank 1) If you take out the cat and run a straight pipe (which is illegal in some States) you will still get a P420 code.

As far as sound goes. It will definately sound different if one side has a cat and the other does not.

Hey guys,

I have my old cat from an 04 ls 3.0 l pass side. Any clue a good place to resell it for scrap and make some money? Any clue what you might get?

i did some research online and seemed like around 50 bucks might be a good deal. Wasn't sure if you guys had any preferred groups you would use by chance.

Thanks a lot

Hey guys,

I have my old cat from an 04 ls 3.0 l pass side. Any clue a good place to resell it for scrap and make some money? Any clue what you might get?

i did some research online and seemed like around 50 bucks might be a good deal. Wasn't sure if you guys had any preferred groups you would use by chance.

Thanks a lot

i will buy it from you right now for 50 bucks and i will also pay for shipping PM sent

Members online

Back