Need Some Help

Eurythmian

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
'05 LS V6

Recently I have had the Transmission fluid changed, all the Coil on Plugs replaced, All new Plugs, Intake Manifold cleaned and the Mass Air Flow sensor replaced. Still there is something not right about this car. It jerks when I put it in reverse, and there is a hard shift from 1st to 2nd then 2nd to 3rd no matter how I drive. It hesitates horribly if I let off the accelerator as I am making a turn in an intersection then go to step on it... you can feel the engine vibrate and sputter. I am beginning to think it's got to do with the Throttle Body... or Transmission.

Hope you can help... I am going to take it to my local FORD Lincoln Dealership and I want to point them in the right direction.

I've reset the computer by disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes. It did improve the shifting for several days but it's back to hard shifts from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd.

I am trying to locate the Throttle Position Sensor... I feel stupid because I can't find it.

'05 LS V6

Recently I have had the Transmission fluid changed, all the Coil on Plugs replaced, All new Plugs, Intake Manifold cleaned and the Mass Air Flow sensor replaced. Still there is something not right about this car. It jerks when I put it in reverse, and there is a hard shift from 1st to 2nd then 2nd to 3rd no matter how I drive. It hesitates horribly if I let off the accelerator as I am making a turn in an intersection then go to step on it... you can feel the engine vibrate and sputter. I am beginning to think it's got to do with the Throttle Body... or Transmission.

Hope you can help... I am going to take it to my local FORD Lincoln Dealership and I want to point them in the right direction.

Most likely the problem is the solenoid assembly in the transmission. You have classic symptoms of that problem.

Most likely the problem is the solenoid assembly in the transmission. You have classic symptoms of that problem.

Thank you... I will give this info to the dealership.
I hope you are correct.

If this turns out to be the Solenoid Assembly, how much should I expect to pay for the parts and work? $$$$$$$
Anyone had this done before?

Is it true you should have the Valve Body (I don't even know what these parts are-just read a few posts about them) replaced when replacing the Solenoid Assembly?

Sorry about not knowing anything about this transmission... just never had to know anything about any transmissions other than getting the fluids and filter serviced.:confused:

It could be solenoid pack. It may be that the fluid is low, though. Start with that. A lot of places have no knowledge of how to properly work on the 5R55 transmissions.

If the fluid level is proper and the issue persists, you can try the solenoid pack. You can get one from 800700trans.com for $130. Then it is one connector, 16 pan bolts, and 8 solenoid pack bolts to swap it out. No need to mess with the valve body, but the filter should be changed. With the proper space and tools it can be done in an hour.

Well, I followed instruction to the T and I think I had a better result disconnecting the batter for 10 minutes. At least the car drove better for a few days. Doing this, is still feels as if there is a harsh shift from 2nd to 3rd. Maybe I'm being picky... my Mark VIII shifts as smooth as butter. At least when putting it in Reverse, it did the normal squat thing but seemed less harsh.

I will try it again tomorrow and will give report.

It could be solenoid pack. It may be that the fluid is low, though. Start with that. A lot of places have no knowledge of how to properly work on the 5R55 transmissions.

If the fluid level is proper and the issue persists, you can try the solenoid pack. You can get one from 800700trans.com for $130. Then it is one connector, 16 pan bolts, and 8 solenoid pack bolts to swap it out. No need to mess with the valve body, but the filter should be changed. With the proper space and tools it can be done in an hour.

Knowing very little about this type of Transmission... and reading the manual because there is no dip stick for it. Just exactly how does one check to see if the fluid level is low?

Feel stupid because I'm answering my own questions... this is what I found.

"There's a plug within the plug on trans pan. The inner plug has a stand pipe that is used to check the fluid level. You fill the trans, warm the trans, remove the center plug until fluid stops running out, and it's full."

Since a FORD, Lincoln, Mercury Dealership changed my transmission fluid just a few months ago, I am going to trust they filled it properly with the correct fluid. If not, I will make sure they make it right when I return the car to them for this issue.

This is nuts!

I dont know how the mark VIII shifts but this transmission does shift much firmer than others.

Its a variant of the same one in the 2005 and up mustang.

Since a FORD, Lincoln, Mercury Dealership changed my transmission fluid just a few months ago, I am going to trust they filled it properly with the correct fluid. If not, I will make sure they make it right when I return the car to them for this issue.

Not necessarily the case. Hopefully things are getting better, but I know a few years ago a lot of Ford dealers did not have the necessary tools to properly service these transmissions.

So I am having the same issues as stated above but with gears 1-2 and the slight jerk in reverse. Is 800700trans.com the best way to go for the solenoid pack? I called the dealer and WOW!! What a price...Going to take it by Mr.Transmission and have them chime in and see what they say. I want to save as much cash as possible, how bad of a job is this? Or should I let a professional deal with it as it is my transmission..? Ugh this LS I tell ya. Love/Hate relationship lol !

...Going to take it by Mr.Transmission and have them chime in and see what they say...

I avoid all chain auto shops and especially transmission chain shops like the plague. There are exceptions of course, but the majority are a bad combination of incompetence and crookedness.

I know what you are saying but this a chain of shops pretty well known, don't know if they have them in the states. I will try to do it myself but if I can save myself the frustration and hassle...It's my transmission and I don't want to fiddle with it..

Members online

Back