Looking to purchase first Lincoln

I think you can if you nearly floor it (60% throttle or something like that).

2nd gen can without any tricks.

To start in 1st gear SST the driver must apply >60% throttle. After that, 1st gear is "available" until coming to a complete stop. That was necessitated to avoid the gas guzzler tax. Using SST wasn't required by the EPA for the second gen LSes ergo 1st gear starts.

$4000.00 is too high for a 2000 V6 with 150K on it even in really good condition IMHO.

+1

I bought my '02 V6 for $4500 with 97k on it just about a year ago now (registration due this month lol), and there are virtually never any LSes for sale around here.

To start in 1st gear SST the driver must apply >60% throttle. After that, 1st gear is "available" until coming to a complete stop. That was necessitated to avoid the gas guzzler tax. Using SST wasn't required by the EPA for the second gen LSes ergo 1st gear starts.

To be fair, there is really no difference between SST or full auto when it comes to first gear. On gen I, either way it won't start in first gear without 60% throttle. On gen II, either way it does start in first gear. The throttle by wire, VVT, and other changes on gen II raised the mileage enough that they didn't have to resort to 2nd gear starts anymore.

To be fair, there is really no difference between SST or full auto when it comes to first gear. On gen I, either way it won't start in first gear without 60% throttle. On gen II, either way it does start in first gear. The throttle by wire, VVT, and other changes on gen II raised the mileage enough that they didn't have to resort to 2nd gear starts anymore.

True. In D4 or D5 operation is the same.

According to the engineers the EPA didn't require a SST test. Maybe they let on to the EPA back then the LS was on life support and the plug was being pulled!

ummmm, I must admit.. I'm a bit lost in the "technical" talk of what SST means... All I was saying was in the 2000 it had D5 D4 3 2 1 and in the 2003 it had D5 D4 then to the right it had a + and a -. In the 03 I could throw it in D5 and just drive around the city and it was a very pleasant ride, very comfortable and smooth. In the 00 I tried doing D5 and couldn't go over 40mph, so I had to manually go through the gears as needed... Was this supposed to happen or not? I was hoping I could just throw it into one gear and just drive in the 00.

Lol, sorry, but I really was lost in the convo and didn't see the question answered.

Thanks!

Sounds like your 00' had alot of its own problems. Go test drive a couple LSes to really get a feel for all of them. Then you can decide if the one you'd like to buy "feels" up to par for your or not. The SST isn't a must have or anything but it is nice to be able to select your gear manually and hold that gear which is nice. The transmission in my 02 as many others seem very indecisive about which gear it'd like to be in. Especially 5th gear at low speeds, why would it want to shift into 5th going 30-mph at what 1200rpms?

ummmm, I must admit.. I'm a bit lost in the "technical" talk of what SST means... All I was saying was in the 2000 it had D5 D4 3 2 1 and in the 2003 it had D5 D4 then to the right it had a + and a -. In the 03 I could throw it in D5 and just drive around the city and it was a very pleasant ride, very comfortable and smooth. In the 00 I tried doing D5 and couldn't go over 40mph, so I had to manually go through the gears as needed... Was this supposed to happen or not? I was hoping I could just throw it into one gear and just drive in the 00.

Lol, sorry, but I really was lost in the convo and didn't see the question answered.

Thanks!

The shifter difference is not year or generation specific. You could get SST or non-SST on almost any year (2006 was SST only).
The 2000 you are looking at has some serious problems (probably $1000 or more to fix) and is priced too high. You should look elsewhere.
There is a very big difference between 2000-2002 (gen I) and 2003-2006 (gen II). You should try for the latest year that you can possibly afford, as they worked more and more bugs out each year.

... why would it want to shift into 5th going 30-mph at what 1200rpms?

Better gas mileage and longer engine life, but then my 04 and 06 don't have any issues with gear hunting (I assume that is the problem you're having).

Thats precisely the problem its having but mainly it stays in 5th gear way to long. It doesn't necessarily change between gears often but rather fights against changing gears. I feel at such low speeds and such low RPMs when the engine is under load it should naturally downshift to accommodate this.

I've found I like using D4 when the posted speed limit is 35mph or under. But I will say since my coil overhaul that it doesn't struggle in 5th gear at low rpms anymore. It just stays in 5th to long. But I must say it does feel great to be getting 23-25mpg avg again!

The shifter difference is not year or generation specific. You could get SST or non-SST on almost any year (2006 was SST only).
The 2000 you are looking at has some serious problems (probably $1000 or more to fix) and is priced too high. You should look elsewhere.
There is a very big difference between 2000-2002 (gen I) and 2003-2006 (gen II). You should try for the latest year that you can possibly afford, as they worked more and more bugs out each year.

So does that mean I can throw the 2000 in D5 and just drive?

I'll try tp clear this up from what I remember about the LS. Does the 2000 have the chrome strips on the front and rear bumper? If it does that means its more than likely not the sport model lincoln. It's pretty much the base model. That transmission in there is not the select shift transmission. In all reality you should be able to put it in D5 and drive whatever speed you want. If it's only letting you go 40mph stay away from that car.

I'll try tp clear this up from what I remember about the LS. Does the 2000 have the chrome strips on the front and rear bumper? If it does that means its more than likely not the sport model lincoln. It's pretty much the base model. That transmission in there is not the select shift transmission. In all reality you should be able to put it in D5 and drive whatever speed you want. If it's only letting you go 40mph stay away from that car.

Thanks a lot! I appreciate you answering my question. Not sure what package it is, I could find out though.

ooooh the joys of buying a car...

And if there is a + and - on the gear select it has SST otherwise it does not.

just had D5 D4 3 2 1... So I don't know if that's SST or not..

But hey, found another LS in the area... it's an 01 V6 with 122k.. It comes with two sets of tires (a winter and a nonwinter set). Would $5,000 be a bit much?

Also, is there a reliable site I could use to look up common issues for the LS?

Thanks everyone!

But hey, found another LS in the area... it's an 01 V6 with 122k.. It comes with two sets of tires (a winter and a nonwinter set). Would $5,000 be a bit much?

Thanks everyone!

What this site isn't good enough for you? Or do you mean for recalls n' such?

Thanks everyone!

Okay, I'm not sure why we aren't communicating.

"P R N D5 D4 3 2 1" = Not SST, non-sport.

"P R N D5 D4" + "+ -" to the side = SST, sport.

$5K for 01 V6 at 122K miles sounds like too much to me. Personally, I'd only look at 04 to 06, and only V8, but there will be counter opinions to that.

I consider this a reliable site, and it's a very active site.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=280
is a little less reliable and a lot less active.

What this site isn't good enough for you? Or do you mean for recalls n' such?

Hahaha, this site is awesome, I appreciate all the feedback! I was talking about recalls n' such. ;)

I drove 3 LS's over the last few days.. 2000, 2001, and 2003.. The 2000 kinda worried because of the different transmission or whatever. I REALLLLLY liked the 2003.. SOOOO SMOOTH!!!! :D I started looking at the MPG between V6 and V8 and there isn't much difference, still the premium will get frustrating as a college student, hahahaha.

The guy selling the 00 here said he did all the valve, coil, egr, and everything else.. All that's needed is the wheel bearing on the front passenger side (he said that was the cause of the shaking of the steering wheel as one drives, idk). I love the LS, it's a sweeeeet car.. I hope something works out..

...The guy selling the 00 here said he did all the valve, coil, egr, and everything else.. All that's needed is the wheel bearing on the front passenger side (he said that was the cause of the shaking of the steering wheel as one drives, idk). I love the LS, it's a sweeeeet car.. I hope something works out..

I'd stay away from any of them that have a shake in the steering or vibration/shaking while driving. That can be very expensive and very difficult to impossible to find and get rid of. I doubt the wheel bearing is the cause of the shaking unless the wheel is about to fall off.

I'd stay away from any of them that have a shake in the steering or vibration/shaking while driving. That can be very expensive and very difficult to impossible to find and get rid of. I doubt the wheel bearing is the cause of the shaking unless the wheel is about to fall off.

Okie dokie! I was gonna have it taken up to the dealer and have them fine tooth it.. The local dealership said they'd do that or 50 bucks.. I'm like wow, that's almost better than Carfax, hahahaha..

How are part for the LS? I'd guess, seeing it's Ford, the price shouldn't be too high, but, then again, it's a Lincoln.

$5K for 01 V6 at 122K miles sounds like too much to me. Personally, I'd only look at 04 to 06, and only V8, but there will be counter opinions to that.

Even with an extra set of wheels? What would you say would be a fair offer for it?

I started looking at the MPG between V6 and V8 and there isn't much difference, still the premium will get frustrating as a college student, hahahaha.

I have NEVER understood the argument of premium fuel... Is it just me?

Just taking a look at prices here, buying 15 gallons.

The 20 cent difference I have here is the difference of $3.00 per tank.

I always get premium, maybe I am wasting $3, but I feel it is worth it even in my wife's car that doesn't require it.

I have NEVER understood the argument of premium fuel... Is it just me?

Just taking a look at prices here, buying 15 gallons.

The 20 cent difference I have here is the difference of $3.00 per tank.

I always get premium, maybe I am wasting $3, but I feel it is worth it even in my wife's car that doesn't require it.

Haha, I hear you.. I drove an 01 Monte Carlo LS before an old lady hit it and it was totaled. I'm mainly looking at highway MPG, honestly.. The Monte was about 30 compared to the LS 22-24.. When driving from Indiana to Michigan once a month, the cost gets up there after a while.. But it's cool.. I don't to much driving other than coming home every so often.

Members online

No members online now.
Back