Transmission & Reverse

BigPip

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Strangest thing...

When the car is cold, it will back up fine. Even up my highly inclinded driveway.

When the car is warm, it will back up like normal without the gas but as soon as you press the gas it doesn't do any more but a little more gas and it starts jerking really hard in and out of reverse.

I just did a fluid and filter change on it this weekend hopeing for the best, got 7qts of new fluid and a bottle of Seafoam Trans Tune in it before it was 'FULL'.

All excited about the new fluid and the hopes of ridding the issue, but after a long drive, it still hard problems backing up.

:confused: Symtom- car WILL go into Reverse and back up/coast in reverse but when warm it will not accelerate in reverse. All forward gears are fine, no slipping, harsh engaging or unneccessary shifting...etc Just reverse.

:bash: Help... please...

Ok, so just for giggles, I put the car in reverse and layed on the pedal... It felt like what I would describe as a flooding issue or misfire. I think I even heard it pop/backfire through the intake. It really didn't want to move in reverse. BUT, still no lights on dash to indicate any problems.

I would consider some sensor not indicating the trans is moving the car and is messing up the Powertrain Control Module which is messing up the EEC or messing up the traction control. Sounds to me like traction control is being engaged. Try turning off traction control.

Tried it with T.C off but no change... I need to get a pressure gauge to see how much pressure its pushing while in Reverse.

Sorry , But you need a transmission overhaul. Dont waste your money trying to repair it. I say this because anything you have done outside of a overhaul is really expensive. Just to get to the valvebody and solenoids is a major job. A valvebody pull alone is about 6 hours flat rate plus parts. Buy the time you pay a shop to start doing patch work on a continental transmission its expensive. Just have it rebuilt and be done with it, and you will have a warranty. My point is ,why spend 500-800 dollars for repairs when the transmission probably has 100,000 plus miles. You have a AX4N transmission, check it out on the internet.

The know the AX4N far too well, if I would have researched that the continental came with it, trust me- It wouldn't be in my garage.

I am just going to ride this thing out for as long as I can. I have found if I pause about 10-15 seconds in Reverse, then keep a steady pedal uphill, I don't have an issue but as soon as I lift the pedal, all hell breaks loose.

Yeah these transmissions are :q:q:q:q city for repairs. My torque converter is on the way out and to fix it, most mechanics want anywhere from 2500-3000. And the part is just about 180 bucks.

Members online

No members online now.
Back