Cruise control not working. Help!

ack

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am new to the forum and have recently purchased a 2000 ls with the v-8. I have fell in love with this car and have fixed everything except the cruise. When we try to engage the cruise the light illuminates on the dash but the cruise does not engage. The light will go off after the brake is depressed, the cancel button is pushed, the off button is pushed, or the speed drops below 40. I tried to get the car to enter the self test mode several times but have had no luck getting it to respond. I even purchased a cruise servo/actuator at a local salvage yard and it did not change a thing. Everything else on the steering wheel is working normal. If anyone has any ideas on what my next move should be, I am all ears!

As far as i know the clock spring has not been replaced. As i stated in the original post everything else is working properly.

If the light comes on, then it shouldn't be the clockspring.
It could be the cruise control module.

When you replaced he servo, did it come with a cable or did you check the cable? It could be broken or disconnected at the throttle.

when i replaced the servo, i did pull on the cable. it was under tension from the spring on the throttle body and very smooth with no sticky spots so i chose to leave the original cable in place. i have also checked the attachment point several times.

about 2 weeks ago i removed the original servo and opened it up on a bench. after see no noticeable damage i reinstalled it. the next trip with the car i tried the cruise. when i would hit the set button the gas pedal would pull away from my foot for a split second then the light would go out as if i had hit the brake. it only did this about 5 times and then returned to the scenario that i am now experiencing. the light comes on and stays on until i shut it off. nothing mechanical is happening .

i am really close to having the wife take it to the dealership next week and have them diagnose the problem and give me an estimate. i can do the work, i just don't know what or where i should check next.

update: we took it to the dealer ($150) only to find out the cruise servo i purchased from the junkyard was also bad. luckily they refunded the money for the servo. i have purchased another used servo from the web. i hope to have it sometime this week and will update on whether this fixes my problem or not.

what is the p/n? I have the same symptoms.

update: i just put on a second cruise servo with no luck. i had purchased one from a local salvage yard and it also did not fix the problem. we took the car to the local ford dealer to have the problem analyzed. after spending 150 dollars they told me the cruise servo i had purchased was bad. i luckily returned it and purchased another online. like i stated above i did not have any luck with the "new" servo. the dealership claimed they did a pinpoint test on the servo to prove it was bad. whats the chance of me getting 3 servo's all bad with the same problem? if i had hair to pull i would right now! when i get time i am going to take a meter and compare each servo pin by pin to see if there are any differences from one to another.

update: i just put on a second cruise servo with no luck. i had purchased one from a local salvage yard and it also did not fix the problem. we took the car to the local ford dealer to have the problem analyzed. after spending 150 dollars they told me the cruise servo i had purchased was bad. i luckily returned it and purchased another online. like i stated above i did not have any luck with the "new" servo. the dealership claimed they did a pinpoint test on the servo to prove it was bad. whats the chance of me getting 3 servo's all bad with the same problem? if i had hair to pull i would right now! when i get time i am going to take a meter and compare each servo pin by pin to see if there are any differences from one to another.

Intresting i would say its not the servo, more than likely clockspring i had similar symptoms as well along with the radio controlls not working.

If the cruise light comes on as soon as you press the on button (but before you press set, acel or decel), then it could be the clockspring. If it only comes on after pressing acel or decel, then it is most likely that you've been through three bad servo modules or are doing something wrong in the installation. (I'm assuming the the servo power safety switch has been testing and is okay.)

update: i did receive and install the 4th cruise servo and had the exact same results as the rest. i am really ticked now after spending a $150 at the dealership having them tell me it is a bad servo. i really find it hard to believe that i have purchased 3 used servo's that are all bad. i am at a loss for what to look for next.....

Maybe you could go back to the dealer and tell them your story and they can further investigate for you without charging. Never been to a dealership for service so I wouldn't know what to expect..

Maybe you could go back to the dealer and tell them your story and they can further investigate for you without charging. Never been to a dealership for service so I wouldn't know what to expect..

I suspect that to investigate further, they will want to do the actual repair, using a new module from their inventory. This might be the best option at this point. Just get them to promise that the price they quote will result in it working, no matter what they have to do. (Believe it or not, some dealers will do this and will honor it.)

they quoted me just under 700$! i can't see spending that much. after the servo the only things i can think of that are left are a couple switches and the clockspring. did i mention how disappointed i am with ford dealerships? and as a side note... i work for ford!

Hello ack , did you solve the cruise control issue ? I have been through the exact same thing with my 02 LS , would love to know how you ended this mystery and be able to fix my cruise control ....thanks Dave

Members online

Back