Fem Replacement

Adam Moore

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I need to replace the FEM module on my 04 ls. I was quoted 927.67 from my local ford, lincoln and mercury dealer here in town. I did some searching and its located under the drivers kick panel but does anyone know of a DIY article or how long it takes? Thanks

Replacing it due to my windshield wipers aren't working. Had the dealership fix it because the motor was bad. They had been working for about 6 weeks and just stopped the other day. I took it to the dealer that i had due the work and they said when they pulled up the codes the motor was bad but the FEM module wasn't pulling up and it was probably intermittenting in and out. Thats when i got my quote for the 927.67. My horn also doesn't work and moon roof. Are these connected to it? Any advice greatly appreciated thanks

It's easy to swap out, but the new module has to be configured with the dealer's scan tool. I think that you can get around that if you get one from an identically configured and year LS out of a junk yard.

The horn problem could be related, but the moonroof issue won't be.

I had the same horn problem with my 01 V8. Replaced the bad clockspring and still no joy. Faulty FEM - got buttraped for it too :(

If you're going to be making boneyard runs, call before you go because:

1. Most yards do inventory their cars (year, make, model)
2. Most yards also pull a lot of the electronics and keep them up front in/near the parts desk when the car initially goes into the lot

Since a FEM is hgh-dollar item, my bet would be that it's pre-pulled before the car gets its retirement plot in the yard. There are a few LVC'ers here that are veterans of boneyard runs (RollinLS likes to go on massive boneyard world tours), and can correct any errant info I'm providing.

Prob not your case, but I'm just throwing it out there. When I was messing with my car a while back, I needed a ground to connect my wiring to, I saw a ground behind the driver side headlight and was going to use it. I then decided to use a closer one, but forgot to tighten back the first ground I tried using. This made the wiper not work, it was raining and I had them on, they would only come on here and there. The horn also didn't work, not sure about the moon roof.

Like I said, probably not your problem, but you never know, maybe someone loosened this ground and forgot to tighten it too

Possible. I wasn't getting a ground on my horn (would sound if I connected it directly to a power source), but that was because the faulty FEM wasn't completing the ground connection.

Got my car back from the dealership and basically got nothing fixed at all. They gave me the quote for the Fem module and that was it. I am trying to find a picture of this ford part #6w4z-13c788 (Fem Module) They gave me a quote of 624.52 for just the module. I am wondering if i need to have the exact model # or if this (Fem Module) would work. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2003...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Not sure if it's interchangeable

The pic looks like a FEM. As joegr said, I'm preety sure you can swap between vehicles within the same gen (gen 1 00-02 & gen 2 03-06). It took me roughly an hour to replace mine last fall.

IDK...... Sometimes trying to save a few bucks ends up costing more... If you buy a used FEM you have no real idea of it's electronic condition. You still need the dealer to program it; and there's at least an hours labor. See what a new one from Max or Team Ford is.

Members online

No members online now.
Back