Wheel spacer problems

Lownslowlsc

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Well i got a taste of what my stockers felt like compared to the 19's..

I never noticed untill now that the 19's w/ spacers tend to wobble abit. They're only 8mm just enough to clear the caliper bracket and that bolt on the spindle. The tires were balenced(not road forced) and only only have maybe 5k on em'. Alighnment has about 5k on it to. Complete brake job was done last week.

The spacers are what appears to be pot metal. I put the wheels and spacers on w/o thinking about cleaning them of debris. It was pretty bad.Well i took them back off last night and lightly sanded the spacer on both sides,hub and the wheel's mounting suface and torqued them to spec. It helped but theres still random minor wobbleing at diff speeds.

You guys have any tips for me? A diff type of spacer? I can atleast deal with it for now but in the near future i'd like to test something new out. I've been running them for acouple years like this with 0 probs minus the random annoying wobble wobble.

P.s. They're the universal 5 lug spacers. Non hubcentric but are centered between the wheel and hub as best as i can.. There a/m wheels so there lug centric neways.

Yeah I got a set from Pep Boys but never used em.

Sitting in parts box now...was curious if your problem was going to be something I would have if I ever used em?

It all depends i guess. Unfortunitly i can't run just the wheels to see if thats the problem..

All this spacer talk i've been researching has me all sorts of confused. Do they even make a hubcentric spacer for these cars?

One well known problem with using any kind of spacers to bring rims outward is that you are adding load transfer more outward of the spindle ( larger offset ). It tends to abuse steering components quicker than normal and also has a tendency to highlight any weakness in steering parts if there is any. Bearings and what not take a beating because of spacers.

I heard that anything over say 12-14mm is when you'll start to put any noticable strain on components. I mean 8mm is what 1/4 of an inch? I'm thinking i might have to Road force my wheels..I never did like the way pepboys balanced them.

Road Force Balance or BUL, is a key ingredient to isolating a balace issue. But if that is not the issue after that, then I would be looking at the spacers. You would be surprised or not at what a few MM's may do to offset.

I'm not used to running wheels w/ a spacer so i prob don't know what acouple more would cuase. It's certaintly not benificial in my case minus fitment. I'm not doing it for looks like some people do. Idk, guess i'll pony up and spend the dough in the comeing weeks. I have a friend that works at a shop with one so i'll see if he can cut me a deal. If not it looks like its 25-35 a tire.

I would recomend a Hubcentric Billet spacer.

Your vibration is due to the non-hubcentric wheel without correcting it with a set of rings. The spacers are not going to cause wobble unless they were to come apart and I doubt I need to explain that.

So you could likely solve your wobble just by adding hubcentric rings. Lugcentric is only a term describing the fact that you are running a non hubcentric wheel without correcting it with said rings. Its in no way an acceptable means of aligning your wheel assembly to your hubs.

A road force balance is expensive and more than likely would not fix your issue. You would be chasing a problem that balancing wont fix.

So...Minimum solution would be adding a set of rings. The most solid solution if you plan to keep the wheels for an extended period of time would be to go with the Billet Hubcentric Spacer.

Brad

8mm is 5/16's You need to measure and OD of the hubs where the ring will be then measure the ID of the wheel spacers. Then you know the #'s your dealing with to see if they make rings in your size. Also how much lugnut screw on depth are you getting with those 8mm spacers? Just want to make sure your getting enough.

The manufacturer of your wheels should have the bore specs. Do some digging. A calipar to measuer inner diameter isnt going to cost too much, might be easier to just go get one and save the time of finding the specs of the wheels.

Yea the Mark has a 63.50MM hub so you need the wheels bore and you are set. I prefer the Polycarbon rings over the Aluminum.

Brad

8mm is 5/16's You need to measure and OD of the hubs where the ring will be then measure the ID of the wheel spacers. Then you know the #'s your dealing with to see if they make rings in your size. Also how much lugnut screw on depth are you getting with those 8mm spacers? Just want to make sure your getting enough.

Haven't counted but i wanna say 8 or 9.

Over the years i never had a prob minus the wobble but its more pronounced(to me) this year cuase i did a quick switch from stockers to the 19's (Has been stored winters for the last 4yrs) And the fact i'm a little more knowledgable in reguards to how the car should drive, partly due to running the stockers for the first time minus the 2 months when i bought it back in 07.

Omg...Well i'm finally understanding what you guys are saying..Complete brain fart on my end..My head was going a totally diff direction...Neways, I'll pick up a caliper this weekend and get my measurements so i can get them. I'll prob go the cheaper route and just pick up rings for now..The billit ones are nice but at 90 shipped for just 2 it's abit much.

And Brad, Why would you prefer a polycarbon over a aluminum ring? And am i to assume when companies list rings as plastic that they're polycarbon?

Omg...Well i'm finally understanding what you guys are saying..Complete brain fart on my end..My head was going a totally diff direction...Neways, I'll pick up a caliper this weekend and get my measurements so i can get them asap..I'll prob go the cheaper route and just pick up rings for now..The billit ones are nice but at 90 shipped for just 2 it's abit much.

And Brad, Why would you prefer a polycarbon over a aluminum ring? And am i to assume when companies list rings as plastic that they're polycarbon?

yes I prefer the poly over the metal for a hub ring. They all seem to either be the poly or aluminum.

$90 shipped is a bargain really. If you plan to keep the wheels I would seriously consider them.

Brad

Being custom made it doesn't seem like a bad price at all. I just cant swing that right now..

Brad, you said the hubs were 63.5mm..Upon doing more research it appears to be 63.9mm...Will both of these work correctly? I mean its only 4 tenths of a mm difference. Diff sites have diff sizes(one or the other). If so it leaves more options for my outside diameter if they dont have the correct ones in 63.9.

Son of a bi tch...Well the wheels are the same as the stock hubs.63.5mm. But with the spacers on only a tit hair of the hub is left for the wheels hub to mount with. But the thing is the outside of the wheels hub is slightly flared for about 2-3mm.

The rear wheels have no need for the spacer as they clear the brakes ect. I feel as if i should keep them on there to keep the f+r uniform...The front caliper bracket is f'n me hard on this one. The front hub has a little longer(2mm) hub then the rear so it might be making contact..

Idk, this might be over your guy's heads..There really is no way about fixing this..I cant get hub centric rings, can't get hub centric spacers.. I mean i've been running this setup for 3 years so i dont forsee it being a problem.. I just wanted to make it "right". All i can do is get the wheels road forced and hope it works. Prob wont but its all i can do.

I'm going to check out the jags hub size that they came off of to see if there the same as the marks..They didnt come w/ hc rings so i'm thinking there a exact fit..

This weekend i'll buy a caliper to make certain there both at 63.5. I did many tests to ensure both were the same but i need peace of mind.

Son of a bi tch...Well the wheels are the same as the stock hubs.63.5mm. But with the spacers on only a tit hair of the hub is left for the wheels hub to mount with. But the thing is the outside of the wheels hub is slightly flared for about 2-3mm.

The rear wheels have no need for the spacer as they clear the brakes ect. I feel as if i should keep them on there to keep the f+r uniform...The front caliper bracket is f'n me hard on this one. The front hub has a little longer(2mm) hub then the rear so it might be making contact..

Idk, this might be over your guy's heads..There really is no way about fixing this..I cant get hub centric rings, can't get hub centric spacers.. I mean i've been running this setup for 3 years so i dont forsee it being a problem.. I just wanted to make it "right". All i can do is get the wheels road forced and hope it works. Prob wont but its all i can do.

I'm going to check out the jags hub size that they came off of to see if there the same as the marks..They didnt come w/ hc rings so i'm thinking there a exact fit..

This weekend i'll buy a caliper to make certain there both at 63.5. I did many tests to ensure both were the same but i need peace of mind.

Sorry, it escaped my mind that your wheels were Jaguar OEM. The Jaguar hub bore is 63.40 which could mean you are not even seating the wheels when you torque them down..?? I dont know, but thats a close tolerance and obviously important. If they are slipping over the hubs I would imagine its dead tight so no need for the hubcentric rings..haha Running the spacers in the front might be pulling out away from the hub so you are still not getting a good centered torque.

So then I suppose a good RF balance might be in the cards so long as your tires arent shot. =)

Might also consider doing something else for wheels too.

Brad

The wheels aren't jag oem, they did come off one though. They are Mille Miglia ev-r's 19x8.5... From what i could tell the wheels bore MIGHT be a tit hair larger. I did have to wiggle it to fully seat. Mind you 14 years of rust is prob on the rear hub too so it's prob not exactly 63.5 nemore.:) And yeah, even with them tourqed to spec i'm not sure if the wheels bore is actually making any noticable contact w/ the hub. And if any its certaintly not enough to center/support it. I'll pop a center cap off 2maro and see if i can see anything.
From searching around, now i'm paranoid that i should be using longer wheel studs w/ my 8mm spacers..I mean i've been fine for 3 years..I'm going to count how many turns i get with the lug nuts 2maro.

I just checked the front wheel/caliper bracket fitment and i might beable to squeeze a 5mm spacer in there with .00001" of clearence. Not sure if it's even worth it though.

You could use some conical shanked lugnuts but I dont think its a big deal with your spacers only being 8mm.

So if the wheels bore measures 63.5mm then you are fine in that respect.

In the front having to use spacers you are pinched because you are running a hubcentric wheel that requires a spacer.

With all the issues combined, if it were mine I would look for another wheel option. 19" rubber isnt the best to choose from and cost is usually much higher simply because they dont make as many of them. 18's and even 20's are a better option when talking about sizes and choices available at reasonable cost.

Brad

Members online

Back