The shaved intake tube and the Helmholtz Resinator. WTF?

joeynat

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I would LOVE some answers and hopefully facts with this guys !!!!!

I was going to do the swiss cheese thing to the air box on my 94 and shave off the resinators and remove the air silencer either this weekend or the next.

I KNOW THIS IS FOR SOUND PURPOSES ONLY WITH NEXT TO ZERO HORSEPOWER GAINS! I just want the extra noise to feel special.

So, I consult with LVC threads first before I begin...

After reading like 6 threads I bumped into a very interesting thread titled "cutting off noise suppresors" under Lincoln LS thread. A very emotional member named XLRVIII insists that the "ELEPHANT EAR" on the Mark VIII intake tube is really a HELMHOLTZ Resinator that absorbs back pressure waves preventing corruption of the mass air flow sensor.

So! .... before I take a dremel tool and epoxy to the tube on Sunday morning CAN ANYONE SUPPORT XLRVIII's claims ? WILL I LOOSE HORSEPOWER ? WILL I CORRUPT THE MAF SENSOR ?

Wow........

Someone actually searched....................:D

I can't answer your question other than my personal experience with my old 94. put over 100K miles on it with no resonators.

Cut away.

MIke

I took the one resonator off and just capped it and left the other one on. Haven't ran into any problems what so ever.

Well, while Tommy was fairly smart and does know a lot about the Marks, I can say that there are many people running Gen I smoothed intake tubes and not having any problems. As for drilling holes in the box, that's something I myself wouldn't do but then again, some have. I say smooth your tube, remove the silencer inside the fender and then see what you have. That's about as far as I would go personally.

I drilled my airbox. replaced stock filter with a K&N Lifetime filter, and removed the Big Bat wing resonater. I love the sound change it made. theres no difference at idle and part throttle, but when you get it near the floor, she growls nicely.

o_O what? ive heard about removing this "silencer", how hard is it to cut out. ive heard you have to take the inner fender out and the tire off bla bla bla.

get rid of the one under the air box first. and then the others all are noise control and are not needed. it will help performance

It is very true about the resonator and what it is used for... that being said I wouldn't worry too much taking it off, it served its purpose in an OEM setting...

o_O what? ive heard about removing this "silencer", how hard is it to cut out. ive heard you have to take the inner fender out and the tire off bla bla bla.

Tire off, inner fender well off and have fun lol. I never done any cutting when removing one but I guess it might help. It will come out without any cutting though. Yank and pull. :D Might be something you're used to....

I did it on my 97, drilled the box and removed the elephant ear....
The sound alone was worth the time. :L

Yep I did it as well. First thing i did when i got the car as it was basiclly a cheap mod. Make sure you have a dremel handy. Sometimes the bolts on the bottom under the air box can turn and make it a pain to get them free so you will need to cut the nut. I actually ran out of blades and had to use a screwdriver and a hammer to beat the nut where it was sorta cut at. all in in it was worth it. i also drilled my box out too as well as the K/N air filter. I removed the big portion of the intake tube and used a standard cap that i bought at lows to plug it. it has a wing nut on it to adjust the fit :)

I didn't drill mine I cut the biggest hole I could in the front of the box. I do still have the silencer in place though.

But when I go to the track I also take out the passenger headlight housing. Good cold air you know. It did help the sound. A little.

intake tube

We pulled the snorkel(resonator)?It now breathes through a massive hole under the airbox. Also removed and filled and smoothed both silencers, installed K&N panel and painted it all.Great sound, much better breathing, more seat of the pants HP and even more when combined with exhaust mods.
I'd think 10 hp or so minimum. Would love to extrude hone the intake and gasket match the intake, IMRC's, and the heads!

Tire off, inner fender well off and have fun lol. I never done any cutting when removing one but I guess it might help. It will come out without any cutting though. Yank and pull. :D Might be something you're used to....

thanks bro......................................

anyways. im going to take off the "silencer" off of the bottom of the air box tomorrow. and then going to find a way to cap the second one that the beauty cover bolts on to. then going to find a way to shave the other one.

thanks bro......................................

anyways. im going to take off the "silencer" off of the bottom of the air box tomorrow. and then going to find a way to cap the second one that the beauty cover bolts on to. then going to find a way to shave the other one.

snorkel creates a colder air for the intake.....

I took mine off when i replaced the air comp years ago. I had to rip it off as the bolts were frozen.

Nothin' like some redneck repairs in a apt complex parking lot.

what is this. is this the snorkel you where talking about????? or is that the big resonator under the air box.

2009-05-18_134939_A18772B-1.gif

Cut it off.

Intake004.jpg

Intake005.jpg

Used a grinder to knock it off.

Intake003.jpg

I'm done with the extra one I have and used epoxy and then sanded smooth and painted. Haven't taken finished pics yet but it looks like most others that have done it. Probably put it on tomorrow.

On my 93, I took the big resonator off under the air box removing the fender well, took the curvy tube off the front of the resonator ( it pops right off) and installed the curvy tube through the top ( between the bottom of the air box and the body ) and it sandwiched into place, I was afraid without it on there it would suck in hot air.

I finally removed the silencer behind the passenger wheel. I swiss cheesed the air box and put a k&n filter in. What a pain in the assh. Dremel tool a must. Now she sounds great under heavy throttle but why do I have this rough idle ?

Members online

No members online now.
Back