Supercharger update.. Good news for me! :)

As said quick LS was the test mule and has already proved how far the engine can be pushed.

What we dont know is how far the gen II engine can be pushed.

..Ahh the joy of the forums. :rolleyes:

..how far has it been pushed? ..and how many times has the failure occured? ..what was the failure?

I am one for information, but tend to follow my own line at the result of my own perils. (Not that I will be supercharging the LS anytime soon.. I already have a plan for when this motor is done :D)

All i know is quik has done the most that ive seen and is one of the few who has actually done anything with the engine in that aspect.

I dont have the funds to tear down my daily driver at the moment, and i really dont have the funds for a new engine so i can only dream for now.

i dont have the funds to tear down my daily driver at the moment, and i really dont have the funds for a new engine so i can only dream for now.

Well the "I Agree" emoticon doesn't seem to work, anywho, my sentiments exactly.

all that i know is a fair percentage of the turbo'ed LS V8' didn't make it too long

Beefing-up for Boost

The turbo installations that were posted here have been 5-6 pounds max. There were issues, but I don't believe that 'high' boost was a problem.

Another point, the combustion space in the engine doesn't care how the boost was achieved. Quik has pretty-well proved that the LS-spec AJ engine will live with 8 pounds. If you intend to see more (I'm aiming to go at least 30) then you need forged pistons (I'm using Ross with ceramic thermal-barrier coating on the crown) and competition-spec aluminium rods. (Mine are from GRP)

All this info, with pictures, is to be found in 'Land Speed LS'

KS

I think these motors can handle 10psi just fine from the factory. that is not much boost if you see what other stock motors can handle.

10 psi is my number.. I do not want to go over that but I would be fine with it.. all of you guys need to understand that I don't beat on my ls.. so the times that I would be at max boost and redline would be minimal..

I think these motors can handle 10psi just fine from the factory. that is not much boost if you see what other stock motors can handle.

This version of the AJ-V8 was never intended to be supercharged. The 4.0L and 4.2L are the ones that were.

The newest production AJ-V8 pushes 500hp from 5.0L...almost as much as the race version.

You said heat exchanger and intercoolers in the original post, are you going water-to-air and using more than one intercooler?

This version of the AJ-V8 was never intended to be supercharged. The 4.0L and 4.2L are the ones that were.

The newest production AJ-V8 pushes 500hp from 5.0L...almost as much as the race version.

Hey Black---
From the emphasis in your comments, you seem to be fairly knowledgeable. I realize I'm thread-jacking to an extent here, but I'd like to hear about your background and experiences. Thanks!!:)

KS

Hey Black---
From the emphasis in your comments, you seem to be fairly knowledgeable. I realize I'm thread-jacking to an extent here, but I'd like to hear about your background and experiences. Thanks!!:)

KS

Not much of a background ive just always had an intrest in vehicles and do a lot of reading.

I can do some general maintenance but prefer not to as i have an ASE mechanic who cuts me a good deal on labor....i basically pay mostly for parts only. I also dont have access to a lift or own a good jack.

But i remember doing an oil change as far back as 10 years old.

Whomever is concerned about what these engines can handle as far as "boost" I think you should research what boost actually is as its read from a guage. 5psi from an M90 and 5psi from a magnuson 2300 are on completely different terms. Quik had a 12psi pulley on his at one point IIRC so you guys saying 5 will blow the engine and are the max that fast should go are ridiculous.

Fast, please tell me your going to get some monitors for that thing and tune it well before you start dropping the pulley size.

Im not saying 5 will blow it but its a safe level to run at being daily driven.

Some of us only have the ls and no other vehicles to fall back on. Boost is simply forced induction but more air = more stress on the internals and a certain point the engine will fail.

Im not gonna dare to push those limits nor do i want to find out for myself.

Boost

Doesn't the connection-point for the gauge make the difference if there is one? I repeat that the mechanism compressing the incoming charge is of no consequence. Boost is boost when measured from a gauge tapped-into the plenum so we have a reading that reflects what will occur at the valve head---or as close to that as possible.:)

KS

i also dont think 5psi would ever be a problem, but how much over that is "safe" nobody really knows.

i'm not saying you should go big, i'm definitely pulling for you. i really want to see what one can be pushed to.

Water to air and two intercoolers is correct.. mimicing the Jaguar design..
If it is a supercharger, there is only one place I can think of to put the intercooler...between the blower and the intake manifold. Are there two heat exchangers you are putting on the nose of the car? Is that because of fitment issues that you cannot get one bigger exchanger up there?

Whomever is concerned about what these engines can handle as far as "boost" I think you should research what boost actually is as its read from a guage. 5psi from an M90 and 5psi from a magnuson 2300 are on completely different terms. Quik had a 12psi pulley on his at one point IIRC so you guys saying 5 will blow the engine and are the max that fast should go are ridiculous.
Boost is boost. There are different ways of making it, from roots to centrifugal to lysholm to turbo, etc., but 5psi on one is identical to 5psi on the other. A larger blower will have more volume, and different methods "use" more horsepower to make the horsepower, which is where the differences come in.

As for the amount of boost to blow an engine, you can kill a stock engine with a poor tune. The key is keeping the tuning inline and safe, mainly the timing and the fueling. After that the power output is only limited by exceeding a mechanical limitation of the engine.

Linc'- I plan on running a bigger pulley until I can get it dynotuned.. while there, we'll mess with pulley size and getting it fine tuned..

Josh- Ill show the design when I get it put together because its hard to explain and I'm on my phone for the weekend..

I believe higher compression ratios N/A are also a consideration when boosting, isn't that the reason for the lower boost numbers? Doesn't the tune have to be even more spot on? The 3.9 is 10.55:1.

I believe higher compression ratios N/A are also a consideration when boosting,

correct and is exactly why a terminator has a way lower compression ratio than a mach 1 does. and is the biggest area of my concerns, well that and the lower end.

Fast, props to you man. You don't just talk, you walk the walk.

Looking forward to the end results.

Members online

Back