Intake Leaking Oil

abe2571

LVC Member
Reaction score
Evening, I have a 2005 LS v6 with about 62,000 miles. I have noticed the burning oil smell when the heat is on. I discovered it was leaking oil onto the exhaust manifold from the back of the passenger side of the upper intake manifold (it's not the valve cover gaskets like on the v8s). I had the intake off once to replace a coil (about to do the rest of them) and I noticed the leak was from one of two black circular covers in the back passenger side of the intake. I took them out and they appear to have some sort of adjustable flap on each the look like its actuated by oil pressure (the is a rubber hose leading to both of them). I cleaned them up and put them back in and it stopped the leak for a while but now it is leaking again. First, what are these two black flapper things called and second, would you know if I can just replace the rubber o-ring that goes around them or would I have to buy a whole new flapper thing? Thank you for your help.

Update....just took off the intake and replaced all the coils and plugs (easy enough). But I see that the oil leak is on the back of the intake coming from the bottom VCT oil control solenoid (thats what I think it is, it has two of them). I took them out and noticed oil in the intake manifold where this solenoid sits. Is the supposed to be oil running through this intake? I,m not quite sure where it's coming from. I figured just replacing the o-ring on both the units would fix it but I'm not sure. Any ideas? Thanks

So no idea then? They are actually electrical motors and don't have any oil connections just electrical connections.

I have a similar problem. No solution yet. I have planned to replace all coils and plugs since I have developed a misfire. But that may or may not solve my burning oil smell (seems to be coming from the passenger side by the firewall).

Keep me updated as to what you find.

Update....just took off the intake and replaced all the coils and plugs (easy enough).

Did you replace the intake gasket? I would've replaced any and every gasket/o-ring leading to the coils. Especially if you see oil from those VCT parts. I am unfamiliar w/ the V6, but I thought I would throw in my 2 cents. :D

Update....just took off the intake and replaced all the coils and plugs (easy enough). But I see that the oil leak is on the back of the intake coming from the bottom VCT oil control solenoid (thats what I think it is, it has two of them). I took them out and noticed oil in the intake manifold where this solenoid sits. Is the supposed to be oil running through this intake? I,m not quite sure where it's coming from. I figured just replacing the o-ring on both the units would fix it but I'm not sure. Any ideas? Thanks

NO.. I can't really steer you in the correct direction as I don't have a Gen 2 or a V6.. Have you replaced the PCV valve?

The ls v6 oil leak issue is not to be confused with the ls v8 oil leak issue. From my research on the issue the ls v8 involves the valve cover gaskets ("vcg") in which oil leaks from the vcg onto the coils and ruins them. This is not an issue with the ls v6. Unless your particular car has developed an obvious vcg leak on the ls v6 from what I have read and seen on my own ls v6 the oil leak and burning smell have nothing to do with a leaking vcg. I have confirmed the oil is leaking from the upper intake on the passenger side which in turn drips on the hot exhaust manifold and is suck into the hvac system and bam....burnt oil smell. I discovered a few posts today and a Ford technical service bulletin about the 3.0 liter v6 in the ls. My oil leak is coming from what are called Intake Manifold Tuning Valves (IMTV) of which there are two in the upper intake of the ls v6. They have a rubber oring around them to seal them in the intake. Mine is leaking from the bottom one. I intend to replace the oring with a new one (which is was a Ford dealer did for another poster and it fixed the problem). Here is a link to the service bulletin which involves a vacuum leak of the same parts. Do a forum search of "burning oil smell" for more info. Oh and yes I replaced the pcv in late 2009 when I replaced all the coils and spark plugs.
http://www.justanswer.com/ford-lincoln/3mugg-lincoln-ls-3-0-2004-model-problem-code.html

Mine had the exact same prob right after I bought my car 3 months ago with 66k on it. Lucky for me I just took it back to the dealer and got it fixed under warranty. Leaking from Intake manifold tuning valves, they replaced them and intake tuning ring. I personally don't know what that consist of, I just read it off my paper work...

Update...I went and got the orings today for two IMT Valves ($9.00 a piece from the dealer here, and yes I shopped around and they were the only ones that had them). I was thinking I was going to have to go through the process of taking off the upper intake manifold but in my quest to find the orings online I found a Jaguar forum that had a much easier way. It involves the Jaguar Stype with the 3.0 v6 (same engine in the LS V6) which it shares its platform with around the same model year Lincoln LS. here is the link...
http://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32135

or you can do an internet search of "intake manifold tuning valve o-ring" and one of the results will lead to this. Basically it involves removing the cowl, wiper arms, front strut tower brace, and moving a few vacuum lines. This allowed me to remove the upper IMT Valve easly. For the bottom IMT Valve I went ahead and removed the cabin air filter, cabin air filter holder, the box protecting the cabin air filter from the engine compartment, and a bracket on the passenger side strut tower which was holding some wires in place behind the IMT Valve. After that I got the bottom valve out with little effort and replaced all the o-rings. Then just put it all back together. Lots easier then removing the upper intake imo. Be mindful the Jaquar is slightly different but you should be able to figure things out easily. I will update to see if this solved the oil leak. I also cleaned the engine as there was oil in several locations. Thanks for all the replies.

Update...I went and got the orings today for two IMT Valves ($9.00 a piece from the dealer here, and yes I shopped around and they were the only ones that had them). I was thinking I was going to have to go through the process of taking off the upper intake manifold but in my quest to find the orings online I found a Jaguar forum that had a much easier way. It involves the Jaguar Stype with the 3.0 v6 (same engine in the LS V6) which it shares its platform with around the same model year Lincoln LS. here is the link...
http://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32135

or you can do an internet search of "intake manifold tuning valve o-ring" and one of the results will lead to this. Basically it involves removing the cowl, wiper arms, front strut tower brace, and moving a few vacuum lines. This allowed me to remove the upper IMT Valve easly. For the bottom IMT Valve I went ahead and removed the cabin air filter, cabin air filter holder, the box protecting the cabin air filter from the engine compartment, and a bracket on the passenger side strut tower which was holding some wires in place behind the IMT Valve. After that I got the bottom valve out with little effort and replaced all the o-rings. Then just put it all back together. Lots easier then removing the upper intake imo. Be mindful the Jaquar is slightly different but you should be able to figure things out easily. I will update to see if this solved the oil leak. I also cleaned the engine as there was oil in several locations. Thanks for all the replies.

Do you have a part number on those o-rings? the local dealer here cant even look it up he said.

Sorry for the delay in getting back. As far as the burning smell goes it's gone. The intake is no longer leaking from the IMTV so the o-rings fixed the problem of that leak. As far as the part number I don't have it but I will try to remember to call the local Ford Dealer tomorrow and try to get it.

i think i ordered the right part but my dealer called it an "air valve". i have 2 on the way

So, why was there oil in the intake manifold again? I talked to my local dealer today about a tune-up and mentioned the leak from the IMTV and he said there is no oil circulation in the intake, must be the VCGs. After that he admitted he had not done many tune-ups on the LS v6. He also told me not to replace all the coils as a maintenance item "wait for them to fail" he said. Definitely not going there for service, just have to find time for it myself.

Is there a separate boot that i will have to buy with each coil or does that piece come with the coil? Really need Max to get back in the game... dealer wants $105 for each coil.

"i think i ordered the right part but my dealer called it an "air valve". i have 2 on the way"

Great I hope things work out for you. Hopefully they sent you just the rubber orings and not the whole valve assembly.

As far as the other question about oil being in the intake I don't believe I ever got an answer to that either. A car guy told me one it may be oil vapor or something like that that settles in the intake when the car cools or its possibly from the pcv valve. Either way the car doesn't burn oil out the exhaust so I'm kind of still in the dark. Also again, though your valve cover gaskets may develope a leak over time...they are not the cause of the coils going bad on the LsV6. Also rockauto.com may have your coils cheaper then the dealer. That's where I ordered mine from a while back. Until the next broken part...happy motoring.

"i think i ordered the right part but my dealer called it an "air valve". i have 2 on the way"

Great I hope things work out for you. Hopefully they sent you just the rubber orings and not the whole valve assembly.

As far as the other question about oil being in the intake I don't believe I ever got an answer to that either. A car guy told me one it may be oil vapor or something like that that settles in the intake when the car cools or its possibly from the pcv valve. Either way the car doesn't burn oil out the exhaust so I'm kind of still in the dark. Also again, though your valve cover gaskets may develope a leak over time...they are not the cause of the coils going bad on the LsV6. Also rockauto.com may have your coils cheaper then the dealer. That's where I ordered mine from a while back. Until the next broken part...happy motoring.

Abe, I am taking the whole upper manifold off to replace the valve cover gaskets that I got from autozone made by FelPro. It comes with a bunch of stuff that you can see here: http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Valve-Cover-Gasket-Felpro_20688541-P_107_R|GRPGASKAMS_1417599761____

Do I still need to buy those o rings? if so is this the part? O rings

Just want to make sure I have everything I should replace while I am taking the upper manifold off...

Is there a separate boot that i will have to buy with each coil or does that piece come with the coil? Really need Max to get back in the game... dealer wants $105 for each coil.

both, coils i have ordered from Ebay and from Max, has both come with boots

Abe, I was able to find that one of my two IMTVs was leaking oil/gas. I am going to replace both O-rings for these and that should cure any leaking of oil that I have smelt/found.

Thanks for posting your issues and your solutions. Really helped me to know what to look for!

part number for the 3.0 jag orings

c2s40669. the easy way to remove your wiper arms is to remove cap and the 13mm bolts on them. with your hood closed fold the wiper arm up if u press down at the hinge and wiggle the wiper arm up at the sametime it will come right out. My car is making a similar smell but is leaking from the plastic tube part of pvc hose onto the exhaust. ford sent me a letter stating the have a new style of hose for the pcv that will fix my problem. heres a link to the sorta the letter i got. this is the one the dealers got mine says it will be replaced free of charge for 10 years or 100k miles. http://www.allstatetrucks.com/Recalls/cust satisfaction recalls/08n01/R08N01 dealer bulletin.pdf

...Now if I can only find out how water and oil is getting into the driver's side valve cover where the spark plug void is?????? Damn car!!

If it is water, and not coolant, then it is almost certainly getting there because the seals around the wiper shafts where they go through the cowl have failed. Ford has a low cost replacement seal kit for this.

If it is water, and not coolant, then it is almost certainly getting there because the seals around the wiper shafts where they go through the cowl have failed. Ford has a low cost replacement seal kit for this.

Thanks... I'll look into this.

Members online

Back