Sometimes, it pays to help people out.

Sure, he was off-base, but he had your best interests in mind. I thought it was nice of him to offer advice.

Hmmm... Whenever a complete stranger has pointed out a supposed fault with something of mine, I took offense - assumed they were either jealous, or were just being a show-off/smartass.

Frogman, do you have any aftermarket stuff on that bad boy? A DPF delete would be nice, I don't know how much more warranty you have left. I would recommend a beefier EGR cooler or a delete if you get the chance to change it. LOTS of bent rods on warrantied motors because of hydrolocking at higher RPMs from a failing horizontal EGR cooler, the vertical ones for some reason rarely failed. Also the turbo up pipes are a weak link, I am assuming someone has made some beefier aftermarket replacements.

I don't know what a DPF is. Mine fell off about 3000 miles after I bought it. ;) Strangest thing ever...

As far as EGR cooler... I've actually been looking into them for the past few days. I'm likely going to go with this one:

http://www.rudysdiesel.com/product.aspx?pf_id=64RDP-EGR

Since I'm already running a 210HP tune that I like, the motor really needs a waste gate when deleting the EGR crap so as to not overboost.

Friend of mine did away with the EGR stuff on his Dodge and he's seeing 2+ miles per gallon. From my research, the 6.4 gains 3 to 4 MPG. But I'm not doing it because of fuel economy. It's not a damned Prius. I want it to just run even better.

I'm actually dropping the truck off this week to have the thermostats replaced. I'm seeing some strange ECT and EOT temperatures now and then. I'm thinking hyperextended high temp thermostat, since my 450 is a job 1 truck. Yes, it's had all the recalls done.

There was a TSB for repeat radiator failure that included replacing the thermostats. I don't remember which of the two it was, but usually the rubber seal on one of the thermostats would tear off and not fully close. Not sure if that was actually the cause of failure, but it was something I commonly saw when they were apart. DPF delete is an awesome thing for a 6.4, but more importantly, a bag EGR cooler can trash your engine. 6.0s didn't really get hurt from a bad EGR cooler, it actually cleaned them out really well due to the steam cleaning effect, but we had maybe 20 trucks that I can think of that had a barely noticeable knock to them that wasnt the same as a stock truck, and we would find one of the 2 rear rods bent (shortened) or a cracked piston from hydrolocking at high RPM. I'm not a huge fan of the 6.4 personally, but some of them were turds, and others never ever needed more than oil changes. Ford hosed us on warranty times A LOT on the 6.4. IMO almost nothing was easy to work on, even the EGR valve that looks easy to access was a lot of work. I think I only got 1 or 2 out without the valve breaking into peices due to the intake manifold and valve housing corroding together.

Just for you, Fastmark. :p

This is what a truck that works to earn it's keep looks like when it's pulling twice it's weight around.

IMG_20110228_234859.png

IMG_20110228_234815.png

And this is what it looks like when it's in "vacation" mode.

2.jpg

IMG_5459.jpg

That's one hell of a truck. That front setup is mean as hell haha, loving the Christmas scheme. Any flexibility to that rope at all?

Meh, when I need to tow heavy things I just use my Mark. :D

leaving-1.gif

frog i see what got you hung up was the drop on the hitch actting like a tailhook on an f-4. just an old mans wize a-- comment. take care just made a run from mikes 892mile 12.5 hours.

Last edited:
Meh, when I need to tow heavy things I just use my Mark. :D

leaving-1.gif

Got some tire sealant in those bags as well?;)

I heard that if you put in a Mercedes Benz engine, you can tow 12,000 pounds with that Mark of yours:D.

Members online

Back