Ya reckon these are shot??

oldstick

LVC Member
Reaction score
You guys lied about easy to replace these things. :D

I guess it will be easy if I ever have to do it again, but I sweated over this job for a couple days before I broke down and took off the master cylinder to reach that one nut on the driver side. Anyway, it sure fixed all the knocking in the front end.

A couple days later I finally solved the rear clunking by putting on new KYB T-bird shocks. A previous owner had installed the coil spring kits but left the original shocks on and 160K miles they were graveyard dead.

Next I need to investigate the little bit of play in the steering then an alignment and it's like new again.

:cool::cool:

car 005.jpg

i dont get why so many of you have a problem with the nut under the master cylinder, whats the problem getting it? i can take that nut off in 20 seconds, i have never had to move the master, booster, nothing to do with the brakes to get it in any mark VIII, they are all the same it stumps me why so many people have problem, its 18 mm, you take an 18 mm wrench, put it on the nut, take another wrench and hook the boxed end into the open end of the 18 on the nut, and break it loose, its cake. once you break it loose, you can use a ratchet and 15 mm socket to take the bolt out from inside the wheel well, the head of the bolt is a 15 mm, just pry the flag off with a flathead, then you can take it out like butter. changing the uppers is a walk in the park.

Not saying much, but you are a better mechanic than me then, Bad97.

Between the brake reservoir, the close by hood support and the sharp angle of the fender well between the two. I could not get a hold on the nut in a way to achieve any rotation whatsoever. Not with a box end, open end or even a flex head ratcheting wrench. Removing the master cylinder, then yes it was off in 20 seconds.

But what else could I expect, I'm just an old four-eyed geek that does software for a living.
:D:D:D

Does ride much better now for sure. The lower ball joints seemed to be in decent shape, still relatively firm and tight. Only thing I can figure is whoever installed the spring kit must have changed those at the time.

car1jpg.jpg

I REALLY need to do my cars front end but the BIG bolts scare me. Don't know if I trust myself to rely on changing the front end which can go lose if I don't do it properly. Is there a good write up on how to change the front suspension parts?

this is what you need, its not about being a better mechanic, its about using the right tools!! mine are SK gear wrenches, but same principle

99993027_gea_85596_pri_larg.jpg

Yes, that is what I used, ratcheting 18mm. But I was forced to move the master cylinder before using it...

:):):)

Mine did not have the ratcheting open end feature though.

i dont get why so many of you have a problem with the nut under the master cylinder, whats the problem getting it? i can take that nut off in 20 seconds, i have never had to move the master, booster, nothing to do with the brakes to get it in any mark VIII, they are all the same it stumps me why so many people have problem, its 18 mm, you take an 18 mm wrench, put it on the nut, take another wrench and hook the boxed end into the open end of the 18 on the nut, and break it loose, its cake. once you break it loose, you can use a ratchet and 15 mm socket to take the bolt out from inside the wheel well, the head of the bolt is a 15 mm, just pry the flag off with a flathead, then you can take it out like butter. changing the uppers is a walk in the park.

you use a plasma cutter right???

yeah i use a plasma cutter on my own cars and customers cars, what the hell kind of comment was that? even when i part out mark VIII's, i dont have cutting torches or a plasma, i take everything apart with tools, i am not a junk yard.

I just used a pair of tin snips and widened the access hole inside the underneath of the fender well behind the black insert. Then I used a socket and ratchet with no problem. I painted the exposed metal afterwards.

I REALLY need to do my cars front end but the BIG bolts scare me. Don't know if I trust myself to rely on changing the front end which can go lose if I don't do it properly. Is there a good write up on how to change the front suspension parts?

Take a few pics before and put everything back the same way.:D

The only issue I ran into with my front end overhaul was the LCA ball stud spinning, so I used a piece of wood to jack up underneath it and used my impact gun. Just make sure you spray everything down with PB Blaster or whatever you can find and let it sit the night before you start.

When you are finished, get an alignment. They will make sure everything is torqued properly.

Members online

Back