turning radius

chris2523

93 Mark VIII
Reaction score
so ive been told the 93 steering rack is a quicker ratio than the others.
and my rack recently wore out and got replaced oin my 93, with, unfortunately, not a 93 rack. :(
now my turning radius is not as good as it used to be. so does the different rack cause that too or is it something else thats changed?

Good question, I'm thinking the 93 also has a tighter turn radius as well, mine turns alot sharper than Lasers when making uturns

I just happen to have a good 93 rack for sale, if interested PM me

I recently replaced the rack on my black 94.

I used a T bird rack that has the same ratio as the Gen 1. It's great.

I'm actually thinking of putting one in my 98, I hate that ratio.

I don't think the turning radius is different though.

The 93 has an entirely different rack than the rest of the Marks

What makes the 93 entirely diffrent than the rest?

Bill, supposedly, the turning ratio (gearing) inside gives the 93 rack the ability to make sharper turns. I'm just relaying what I have read. I have a complete Motorcraft OEM reman still in the box that was from a 93, just in case mine ever goes bad. Until then, I have no clue. Honestly, I feel like my 95 turns sharp enough.

I know the ratio is better on the Gen 1 rack so you don't have to turn the steering wheel as much to turn the car.

For the actual car turning radius to be different, the total distance traveled by the rack (and tie rods) would have to be different though. I don't think this is the case (I could be wrong here of course :D).

He said that the 93 is entirley different from all the rest, How is it different than say, the 94?

I would think regardless of the ratio of the rack the spindle is only going to turn so far. Having said that my car is in storage so I can't look at it right now. I know my excursion has stops on it so you don't bind the u-joints.

Check and see if your tie-rods are spaced differently on one side than the other. My 94 would turn sharper one direction than the other because the alignment tech screwed up and centered the wheel incorrectly. Essentialy, he used the adjustment in the tie-rods to center the wheel instead of pulling the rag-joint and getting it closer that way.

Mike

Check and see if your tie-rods are spaced differently on one side than the other. My 94 would turn sharper one direction than the other because the alignment tech screwed up and centered the wheel incorrectly. Essentialy, he used the adjustment in the tie-rods to center the wheel instead of pulling the rag-joint and getting it closer that way.

Mike

so does the rag joint go together more than one way then? i had it out to clean off the rust and thought it had flat spots and such so it only went together one way. hmm. :confused:

Here you go! This is the best rack I can think of having in my Mark VIII! Hope it helps.

l_7f39d54206862b3db743621412849229.gif

There is no visual difference between 93 racks and 94+ racks. The 93 rack is a quicker ratio. Should not effect turning radious though, just how many times you spin the steering wheel to get there. The 98 rack as slightly different mounts. Dont know if they are larger or smaller but the bushings from 93-97 racks dont fit the 98 rack.

hmm cause i just bought a 93 reman and i wanna know as soon as i get it that it has the quicker ratio, is there any way to check with it being off the car??? if no oh well

hmm cause i just bought a 93 reman and i wanna know as soon as i get it that it has the quicker ratio, is there any way to check with it being off the car??? if no oh well

I still got a 93 OEM reman in the closet that I bought off Laser. Haven't needed it yet. As for checking the ratio, I wouldn't know how to with it off.

Members online

Back