Giffords had history with Palin, Tea Party

04SCTLS

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Giffords had history with Palin, Tea Party

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2011/01/08/giffords-had-history-with-palin-tea-party/

(CNN) – As of Saturday, Arizona Democratic Rep. Gabrielle Giffords' name appeared on a website titled "take back the 20" as part of a list originally issued by Sarah Palin of vulnerable House Democrats. A map on the site showed crosshairs over the contested Democratic districts.
Palin first posted the list in March 2010, naming 20 House members who voted for health care reform and represented districts that Republican Sen. John McCain of Arizona won in the 2008 presidential election.

The post read, "We'll aim for these races and many others. This is just the first salvo in a fight to elect people across the nation who will bring common sense to Washington," and was accompanied by a map with targets over the districts.
At the time, Giffords responded to the map by saying on MSNBC that her long-serving colleagues had "never seen anything like it."
"The thing is, the way that she has it depicted has the crosshairs of a gun sight over our district," Giffords said in March. "When people do that, they've got to realize there's consequences to that action."
After Giffords was shot in Tuscon, Arizona, Saturday, Palin responded on her Facebook page:
"My sincere condolences are offered to the family of Rep. Gabrielle Giffords and the other victims of today's tragic shootings in Arizona. On behalf of Todd and my family, we all pray for the victims and their families, and for peace and justice."

At a press conference Saturday, Pima County Sheriff Clarence Dupnik criticized people who are making a living off "inflaming the American public."
"When you look at unbalanced people, how they respond to the vitriol that comes out of certain mouths about tearing down the government, the anger, the hatred, the bigotry that goes on in this country is getting to be outrageous," Dupnik said. "Unfortunately, Arizona has become sort of the capital. We have become the Mecca for prejudice and bigotry."
And Saturday's tragedy was not the first time the Arizona Democrat was targeted. The day after she voted in favor of health care reform, a glass panel at her Tucson office was shattered.
Giffords won a close race against Republican Jesse Kelly in November. Kelly was a Tea Party favorite who ultimately received 47 percent of the vote to Giffords' 49 percent. The Republican-leaning 8th district went for George W. Bush in 2000 and 2004.

Tea Party Express Chairwoman Amy Kremer responded to the events Saturday by saying the group is "shocked and saddened" by the "terrible tragedy."
"These heinous crimes have no place in America, and they are especially grievous when committed against our elected officials. Spirited debate is desirable in our country, but it only should be the clash of ideas," Kremer said in a statement. "An attack on anyone for political purposes, if that was a factor in this shooting, is an attack on the democratic process. We join with everyone in vociferously condemning it."

Instead of offering her condolences Palin should apologize for painting gun sights on 20 democratic politicians on her website.
Or maybe she can say in that chirpy bubbleheaded style of hers

"Opps! I wasn't expecting someone to actually shoot any of them, by golly gosh darn it!"

lock and load

Even if this guy is just simple crazy I don't think we'll be hearing any more gun rhetoric from Palin.
Live by the sword, die by the sword.
We'll see in the next few days how much Palin gets attacked with this free lunch "opportunity" that has been presented.
And she probably won't be showing off her killing for pleasure skills anymore either.

Stop it.
A lunatic went on a killing spree and opened fire on his Congress person and then a crowd of people.
Do not make this a partisan issue.
Do not politicize it like this.

This Palin angle is among the most insulting. This guy wasn't affiliated with the "Tea Party." He wasn't taking cues from Sarah Palin and simply misunderstood her benign symbolism. And any one who attempts to make that argument is an opportunistic liar and should be discredited.

This is a guy with flag burning videos on his social network sights.
This is a guy who lists the Communist Manifesto as one of his favorite books.
This is a guy who was clinically considered a schizophrenic.

Comments made about him on twitter after the news broke read like this:
-I haven't seen him since '07. Then, he was left wing.
-more left. I haven't seen him since '07 though. He became very reclusive.
-he had a lot of friends until he got alcohol poisoning in '06 & dropped out of school. Mainly loner very philosophical.
-As I knew him he was left wing, quite liberal. & oddly obsessed with the 2012 prophecy.
-he was a pot head & into rock like Hendrix,The Doors, Ant Flag. I haven't seen him in person since '07 in a sign language class
-He was a political radical & met Giffords once before in '07, asked her a question & he told me she was "stupid & unintelligent"
-I went to high school, college, & was in a band with the gunman. This tragedy has just turned to horrific.
-Saying Jared Laughner was the gunman. Really hoping that's not the same guy I went to HS with, really good friend. Freaking out right now!!!

Based on the minute amount of information available, it would APPEAR that this guy was a crazy, delusional, communist/anarchist. And he wasn't provoked by "left or right wing" media. He was crazy and unfortunately Gifford was his local representative. This office holder would likely have been targeted by this lunatic REGARDLESS their party affiliation.

However, the reaction of the media would have sounded completely different.

The events of yesterday were tragic, however it's critical that all observers and commentators are reasoned and reasonable.
They need not add fuel to this fire. They shouldn't be immediately trying to exploit it for political gain. And they absolute must not over react and start passing reactionary laws and regulation to respond to what is currently an isolated incident.

The shooting of Gifford is no more tragic than the other 18 people shot in that crowd.

We don't know the precise motivation of this man yet, however I will not blame mainstream Democrats or liberal voices.
And while I can make a very clear argument demonstrating increased efforts to agitate and promote violence amongst prominent "far left" groups in this country which resemble this man, it would be irresponsible to even draw that connection at this time.

There's simply more we don't know at this point than we do. There's talk of an accomplice.
Everyone, media and politicians include, would do us all well if they'd stop speculating motivated by political opportunism.

Personally, I expect we're going to see more people cracking in the coming year. We need not fuel the flame, because it can easily become a fire that you can't control.

Stop it.
A lunatic went on a killing spree and opened fire on his Congress person and then a crowd of people.
Do not make this a partisan issue.
Do not politicize it like this.

This Palin angle is among the most insulting. This guy wasn't affiliated with the "Tea Party." He wasn't taking cues from Sarah Palin and simply misunderstood her benign symbolism. And any one who attempts to make that argument is an opportunistic liar and should be discredited.

This is a guy with flag burning videos on his social network sights.
This is a guy who lists the Communist Manifesto as one of his favorite books.
This is a guy who was clinically considered a schizophrenic.

Comments made about him on twitter after the news broke read like this:

Based on the minute amount of information available, it would APPEAR that this guy was a crazy, delusional, communist/anarchist. And he wasn't provoked by "left or right wing" media. He was crazy and unfortunately Gifford was his local representative. This office holder would likely have been targeted by this lunatic REGARDLESS their party affiliation.

However, the reaction of the media would have sounded completely different.

The events of yesterday were tragic, however it's critical that all observers and commentators are reasoned and reasonable.
They need not add fuel to this fire. They shouldn't be immediately trying to exploit it for political gain. And they absolute must not over react and start passing reactionary laws and regulation to respond to what is currently an isolated incident.

The shooting of Gifford is no more tragic than the other 18 people shot in that crowd.

We don't know the precise motivation of this man yet, however I will not blame mainstream Democrats or liberal voices.
And while I can make a very clear argument demonstrating increased efforts to agitate and promote violence amongst prominent "far left" groups in this country which resemble this man, it would be irresponsible to even draw that connection at this time.

There's simply more we don't know at this point than we do. There's talk of an accomplice.
Everyone, media and politicians include, would do us all well if they'd stop speculating motivated by political opportunism.

Personally, I expect we're going to see more people cracking in the coming year. We need not fuel the flame, because it can easily become a fire that you can't control.

A tragedy is also an opportunity like Rahm Emanuel said.
The moment is still too immediate and not enough is known but if you think this will not be politically exploited after the dust settles then you are naive.
I'm just outlining where this will probably go.
All is fair in love and war (your insult comment notwithstanding) and politics is war without bullets but this time the bullets were real.
It will be used to attack Palin and her "benign"(your word- benign killing eh?) gun rhetoric which she conveniently provided (hoisted on her own petard) and the Tea Party as well as the general gun culture which always gets attacked when something like this happens.
Putting gun sights on things you don't like may feel satisfying to gun lovers but it really appeals to the basest instincts of the childish Id (Palin's overall campaign strategy including her killing for pleasure on her reality show?) and for the unbalanced mind it's enough inspiration to actually pull the trigger.
There will be some traction out of this, not a lot but some.
Wait and see.

Let's see now---Did someone shoot a political district? NO? Then it's not very likely that the crosshairs had anything to do with what happened. And rabble-rousing B U L L S H I T to the contrary is just that. Whinge, Whinge.

04, sometimes being provocative is best left undone.

KS

The moment is still too immediate and not enough is known but if you think this will not be politically exploited after the dust settles then you are naive.
I'm just outlining where this will probably go.
All is fair in love and war (your insult comment notwithstanding) and politics is war without bullets but this time the bullets were real.
It will be used to attack Palin and her "benign"(your word- benign killing eh?) gun rhetoric which she conveniently provided (hoisted on her own petard) and the Tea Party as well as the general gun culture which always gets attacked when something like this happens.
Putting gun sights on things you don't like may feel satisfying to gun lovers but it really appeals to the basest instincts of the childish Id (Palin's overall campaign strategy including her killing for pleasure on her reality show?) and for the unbalanced mind it's enough inspiration to actually pull the trigger.
There will be some traction out of this, not a lot but some.
Wait and see.

Using gun targets and sites worked for the dems in '04:

BP_0405_heartland1.gif

But then again, so did making a movie about Bush being assassinated:

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/ed...articles/2006/09/10/a_new_low_in_bush_hatred/

The Dems are running with this misguided BS for one reason and one reason only: They just got their a$$es handed to them by Republicans and the next two years for them are hell. Any false accusations and contrived BS they can spew, they are going to do.

Winners don't usually go off the rails and start shooting.

The 'Tea party', Conservatives won the last election very handily, thanks.

KS

Let's see now---Did someone shoot a political district? NO? Then it's not very likely that the crosshairs had anything to do with what happened. And rabble-rousing B U L L S H I T to the contrary is just that. Whinge, Whinge.

04, sometimes being provocative is best left undone.

KS

Palin took down her target map in direct response to this shooting.
I don't think she's going to put it back up.
If it had nothing to do with this shooting then there should be no reason
to take down.

And besides cammer BS runs this country.
It helped get Bush re elected and helped Obama win in 2008.
You discount the power of B U L L S H I T at your own peril.

to take down.
Except sensitivity, both moral and political.

Recognizing it is not the same as promoting it, repeating it, or justifying it.

On another forum someone posted a link to this guy's youtube videos. Text based videos with weird music, talking about a new currency and some mind-control nonsense. Nonsense in the fact that it literally made no sense, no goal or directive, just crazy drivel from a lunatic. Someone like that doesn't prescribe to a political party because they live in a parallel reality. It's just a tragedy, period.

It is a senseless tragedy, however it will be politicized.

But Cal - I am surprised you quoted twitter posts - I could go out there and claim that I too, knew the shooter and in fact dated him last year, stating further that he worshiped Palin, and swore he was going to target Giffords, just as Palin directed him too...

Wait for the actual investigation, and don't insert tweets into this, you know better Cal...

Winners don't usually go off the rails and start shooting.

The 'Tea party', Conservatives won the last election very handily, thanks.

KS

But, the tea party lost when it came to the district that Giffords represents KS, And it was a hotly contested race, where her office was broken into. It was a race where Palin did work to get Jesse Kelly elected. Giffords has been very outspoken on her support of the health care reform bill and other Democrat initiatives.

Palin took down her target map in direct response to this shooting.
I don't think she's going to put it back up.
to take down.

And besides cammer BS runs this country.
It helped get Bush re elected and helped Obama win in 2008.
If she were not made a target by the left and put into bodily danger by the same rhetoric they claimed happened yesterday, she would not have had to take it down.

But, the tea party lost when it came to the district that Giffords represents KS, And it was a hotly contested race, where her office was broken into. It was a race where Palin did work to get Jesse Kelly elected. Giffords has been very outspoken on her support of the health care reform bill and other Democrat initiatives.

Works well except for the fact that the shooter was an anarchist ans self described terrorist with a bone to pick with a government and society that rejected him for service. Had the Tea Party candidate won we could very easily be talking about that member being shot.
The very act itself argues against an assassination like has been portrayed in the media The shooter targeted 20 people instead of just the one, all with different backgrounds and beliefs. He even tried to reload. He was striking out at society, not just Democrats.

Works well except for the fact that the shooter was an anarchist ans self described terrorist with a bone to pick with a government and society that rejected him for service. Had the Tea Party candidate won we could very easily be talking about that member being shot.
The very act itself argues against an assassination like has been portrayed in the media The shooter targeted 20 people instead of just the one, all with different backgrounds and beliefs. He even tried to reload. He was striking out at society, not just Democrats.

I was just answering cammfre's post - where he was using the winners don't shoot argument - but in this case the tea party wasn't the winner, negating his argument.

Certainly this isn't some disgruntled tea party person, nor was it some wacked out liberal, this was a very disturbed person, who was lashing out against government...

Certainly this isn't some disgruntled tea party person, nor was it some wacked out liberal, this was a very disturbed person, who was lashing out against government...

I don't even think he was clearly lashing out against government, I think even that implies too much coherence in his mindset.
As mentioned by MARKED8, he was striking out at society, a government, and delusion. You mental case who has embraced the radical conspiracies of the lunatic left fringe and fixated on particularly odd things. I heard he thought that NASA had perpetuated a hoax on the American people when it broadcast the landing of the MARS ROVER. And he was apparently fixated on bad grammar and mind control.

And if the tweets from Catie Parker are true, it was reported that he actually met Gifford back in 2007 and, “He was a political radical. He met Giffords once before in 2007. He asked her a question and he told me she was ‘stupid and unintelligent.’

It is shocking how fast the spin machine raced out infront of the cameras to misrepresent the shooter and history to try to make political gain from the event though. It's profoundly disturbing and I think it's dangerous too.

The NY Rep even has another bill ready to propose that will further limit our ability to defend our self. I guess she's just had that bill lying around waiting for the right moment. If nothing else, it'll have another AWB era restriction on magazine capacity.

And anyone who responds with, "well, that's politics. Never let a crisis go to waste," as though such cynical observations justify the action or make the person speaking it sound sophisticated or knowledgeable is a fool and naively complacent in dangerous evil.

Any effort to take this incident and manipulate for cheap political ends should discredit the individual doing it forever. It's a tragic event. Six people died. A little girl died and that is far more upsetting than a politician being critically injured.

It's already being used.
Pima County Sheriff Clarence Dupnik thinks he knows, at least in part. Dupnik, a Democrat blames right-wing talk radio, TV and Internet activity for fomenting anti-government sentiment.

"The rhetoric about hatred, about mistrust of government, about paranoia of how government operates, has impact on people, especially who are unbalanced personalities to begin with," he says.
-- http://www.npr.org/2011/01/10/132797723/Rep-Giffords-District-Stunned-By-Shooting
I also heard a quote from Sec'y of State Clinton (I think; it was in the news segment of Morning Edition, and I missed the full attribution) speaking overseas, mentioning that the shooting in AZ was an example of "extremism" in America.

Seems to me a few of these numbskulls could use a little bit of advice from Will Rogers--"Never miss a good opportunity to shut up."

Watch, while there's still uncertainty about the story, you will see the spin machine operating at full speed. We'll see the continued demonization of conservative media voices, Sarah Palin, and likely more proposed laws that will limit some freedoms in the name of security.

The frantic pace of it is because there's such a finite amount of time.

Because once it becomes abundantly clear that this guy was not a Republican or Tea Party activist. That he was not a Sarah Palin supporter. If it is discovered conclusively that he was a lunatic triggered by anarchist/marxist concepts or that he simply has nothing to do with the "right wing," the story will disappear. The focus will go away and it'll fade from the public conscience.

Look at all the recent shootings.
They haven't been quite as deadly, but there's that blitz of attention, and effort to make it seem like a Tea Party lunatic, consistent with the narrative the press and politicians are trying to create, but then it turns out that the guy was a leftist.

A marxist. Motivated by Al Gore's book. Ect.
Then the story goes away and we don't talk about it anymore.

Remember the school board shooter? Remember the Discovery Channel shooter?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't even think he was clearly lashing out against government, I think even that implies too much coherence in his mindset.
As mentioned by MARKED8, he was striking out at society, a government, and delusion. You mental case who has embraced the radical conspiracies of the lunatic left fringe and fixated on particularly odd things. I heard he thought that NASA had perpetuated a hoax on the American people when it broadcast the landing of the MARS ROVER. And he was apparently fixated on bad grammar and mind control.

Cal - aren't you doing exactly what you stated earlier that we shouldn't do - aren't you politicizing this with this statement....
lunatic left fringe​
Perhaps this is a case of 'do as I say - not as I do'....

He read Marx, but he also read Orwell... opposites. He appears to be a certifiable nut case - driven by his own demons. How do you know he embraced the 'radical conspiracies' of the left? Do you have verifiable proof? Or are you just quick to place blame on 'the other side'?

Perhaps the lunatic left fringe also embraces the causes of eliminating bad grammar and illiteracy (something else that has been brought up in Jared's ramblings).

Because once it becomes abundantly clear that this guy was a lunatic triggered by anarchist/marxist concepts or that he simply has nothing to do with the "right wing," the story will disappear.

You have tried, convicted and executed the left here Cal - even before almost any of the story is out....

You have tried, convicted and executed the left here Cal - even before almost any of the story is out....

I've said a quite a bit, it's always curious what isolated concepts you chose to focus on and then misrepresent.

And it should be noted, I hate using the "left/right" language because I don't think they are accurate or meaningful. I think it's a false construct that misleads. That's why I usually try to avoid it or put it in quotes. But, for the time being, it's part of the political short hand and it's hard to concisely communicate without using it.

Noting that, I've done nothing to the "left", I've simply discussed what has been reported regarding the shooter, and I've clearly placed all responsibility on that man and no one else.

My criticism of the "left" has been in their political and opportunistic reaction. The events AFTER the shooting, not before.

To the media Palin and the Tea Party are the Usual Suspects in what may inspire someone to do this.

It's like the shoe looking like it might fit even if Palin says it's not her shoe and she's not going to wear it :p

I've said a quite a bit, it's always curious what isolated concepts you chose to focus on and then misrepresent.

No Cal - you very clearly stated that the shooter has embraced the radical ideas of the lunatic left fringe.

Evidence please....

You also backed it up with once it becomes abundantly clear that this guy was a lunatic triggered by anarchist/Marxist concepts.

He wanted to create his own money backed by precious metals - at least according to reports... Not a very Marxist concept. What are the Marxist philosophies you seem to think that he embraced? He was anti-government apparently - or at least one day was - that would also negate his embracing Marx, communism is a form of government.

Anarchy on the other hand is 'right lunatic fringe' - isn't it Cal?

Just because he read Marx doesn't mean he follows Marx. Just because he read Hitler, doesn't mean he follows Hitler.

I really would like your evidence that this shooter has embraced the ideas of the lunatic left....

It's like the shoe looking like it might fit even if Palin says it's not her shoe and she's not going to wear it :p

No, it's like saying there's a sandal.
Palin wears shoes.
They both go on feet.
There for the sandal is hers because she wears socks...

The newest angle, I believe announced on MSNBC by some political activist from the "left" Southern Poverty Law Center, is that the grammar/mind control angle, which we still don't know much about, is similar to something a lunatic in Wisconsin named David Wynn Miller has spoken about. The attention seeking lunatic has been duped "far right" now, further demonstrating how utterly worthless the left/right spectrum is. So, the dutiful media, have contacted this kook and gotten his opinion on the matter.

In short, left/right is defined like this.
People on the "left" determine what is left and right. If they like it, or they think it's good, it's called "left." If not, it's just called "right." That's why a socialist like Mussolini is called "far right," but so is a libertarian.

No Cal - you very clearly stated that the shooter has embraced the radical ideas of the lunatic left fringe.
Great, you're expanding my quote beyond three words this time, yet still quoted me INCORRECTLY.
I said, "has embraced the radical conspiracies of the lunatic left fringe and fixated on particularly odd things."

Evidence please....
Evidence of your incorrect, incomplete quotes, or what I actually said?
Again, with the busy work. Are you saying that, based on the information reported to date, he hasn't? Or is this just an effort of yours to waste my time and exercise my google skills looking for links to fuel a pointless whizzing match?

You also backed it up with once it becomes abundantly clear that this guy was a lunatic triggered by anarchist/Marxist concepts
You're right.
Let me correct myself...
IF it becomes clear....
And I will edit the original post accordingly in a different colored font to accentuate the edit.

What I should have said and meant to say was that WHEN it becomes clear he's not a "right wing" voter, or a Sarah Palin supporter, or a Tea Party member....

Again, I will correct that.

He wanted to create his own money backed by precious metals - at least according to reports... Not a very Marxist concept. What are the Marxist philosophies you seem to think that he embraced?
What are the Marxist philosophies that embrace a fiat currency that can be argued is manipulated by politicians and bankers to exploit the "working classes?"
You and I both could make arguments all day that would speak of the unfairness of the such a system.

A precious metal currency system isn't anathema to an anarchist or marxist.
Nor is it exclusive to anarchists or marxists.

The "how" explaining why someone arrives at a conclusion is important to the "left/right" label.

Just because he read Marx doesn't mean he follows Marx. Just because he read Hitler, doesn't mean he follows Hitler.
No, but it is significant that he chose two highly stigmatized books to list amongst his favorites on a public forum. This is also important to consider since he was aware of the power of social network sites so he would also have been aware that his pages would be referred to after the act.

Great, you're expanding my quote beyond three words this time.

Again, with the busy work. Are you saying that, based on the information reported to date, he hasn't? Or is this just an effort of yours to waste my time and exercise my google skills looking for links to fuel a pointless whizzing match?

He hasn't embraced the radical conspiracies (edit - change from agenda) of the lunatic left. There is nothing that would indicate he has. Your obvious hatred of anything left demands that you try to associate the two. Left/shooter.

Not even really very subtle this time Cal.

You came up with the statement - not me - I would like to know the evidence you used to come up with your conclusion that the shooter has embraced the radical conspiracies (note- same edit) of the lunatic left.

No, but it is significant that he chose two highly stigmatized books to list amongst his favorites on a public forum.

This is also important to consider since he was aware of the power of social network sites so he would also have been aware that his pages would be referred to after the act.

Favorite books, listed on his Facebook Page - Mein Kampf, the Communist Manifesto, Animal Farm, and Ayn Rand's We the Living. Unless he's the first Nazi Randian, Democracy based, Capitalist Communist, white supremacist, it's hard to place him anywhere on the political scale when looking at his bookshelf. However, you left off the last two books - why Cal?

To address an earlier point you made, dismissing the Tweets, saying that YOU could post on Twitter anything you'd like and it would be equally as valid.

The Phoenix Times has confirmed that Parker and Loughner went to school together at Mountain View High School in Tucson and that both attended Pima Community College. So any claim she makes about knowing Loughner are plausible, moreso than your claim to have slept with him.

Favorite books, listed on his Facebook Page - Mein Kampf, the Communist Manifesto, Animal Farm, and Ayn Rand's We the Living. Unless he's the first Nazi Randian, Democracy based, Capitalist Communist, white supremacist, it's hard to place him anywhere on the political scale when looking at his bookshelf. However, you left off the last two books - why Cal?
Socialst. Marxist. Socialist. And then an Ayn Rand about life in post revolutionary Soviet Union which some people mistakenly think is pro-communist. If he had included "The Road to Serfdom" and Ronald Reagan's "In His Own Words" in the list, you'd be right to point out the omission.

To include every book on his list means we have to both discuss who the authors were, what they were writing about, what their message was, and what we think the shooter took away from the book. We also have to speculate whether the shooter actually read ANY of those books at all.

We can speculate what the appeal of the other books may have been. Perhaps he associated something in Orwell's work with his conspiracy's associated with mind control and language. Orwell was a socialist as well. Maybe he embraced Rand's first book because of it's association with Communist Russia and he misunderstood it? More likely, he only read quotes from the book and misunderstood it. However, this conversation is completely speculative and probably of little use or interest.

I made my point addressing the statement the shooter made by placing those two books, Mein Kamf and the Communist Manifesto, on his profile. Both are historic works that everyone in society is conditioned to have a reaction to. And everyone has essentially the same reaction to them, though they may judge them different. If someone tells you that their favorite book is the "Protocols of the Elders of Zion," they are making a very clear statement. It doesn't matter if you or them have read the book. You know a good deal about the person from that point. Same applies to the Communist Manifesto and Mein Kampf.

And his later decision to NOT remove them prior to engaging in a public act of violence like this one speaks volumes about the person.

Members online

No members online now.
Back