Hissing noise around the steering column

93mkviii

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I've got a 95 lincoln continental which lately has been having alot of issues with it's power steering pump/wires leaking which i couldn't find a fix for. Now here is the problem. When i put the car into drive a loud hissing noise comes from near the steering column. No hissing comes while in reverse neutral and park but right as i put it into drive i can hear the hissing noise. Is this a problem someone else has had? I don't want to take apart the whole thing if it's not a big issue. Thanks in advance.

I get that on my '89 too. Is your automatic parking brake release working when you put it drive? Does the hissing sound go away when you accelerate? I'm pretty sure that's the culprit. A vacuum leak. I haven't investigated it on my car, but the automatic release is inoperative on it.

Check the vacuum valve on the brake booster< the little round plastic thingy with a vac line going to it by the master cylinder

So the hissing noise continues during acceleration. Sorry where is the master cylinder? Sorry I have to be spoon fed. Should I hear the hissing under the hood next to where you fill up the brake fluid?

Members online

No members online now.
Back