Burning / Burnt smell while heat is on

L_King

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Like the title says when I run the heat in my car I occasionally get a burnning/ burnt smell. It does not always happen, and only lasts about 30 seconds to a minute. I can not really describe the smell but almost something between electrical and oil maybe. Nothing like I am used to smelling. Just wanted to know if anyone has had a similar problem. (BTW I am pretty sure I need a coolant tank if that matters).

On another note the heat seems like it takes a while to relly kick in and get hot, any thoughts on that?

Thanks

-Lee

Ill check both. How are the valve cover gaskets to replace on these 3.9s?

Check the Tech articles ^ up top.. Go to Lincoln LS and valve cover replacement..

Pass side is fairly easy.. Driver's side is a whole different world.. Very tight spaces.. Still very do-able..

If you don't have an AC filter installed, it could be that you are burning leaves off of the heater core. (long shot)

I suspect the guess about oil leaking at the valve cover(s) is correct instead.

Thanks guys Ill check the AC cabin filter as well to make sure. at 160,000 it wouldnt hurt

BTW guys do you think if I needed a coolant flush (or had air in my cooling system it would cause the heat to not work to its fullest potential? I assume it would hinder the heating, but hey I have been wrong before

If your thermostat is stuck in the open position like mine was, it could make the heat less intense and not warm up as fast. My car ran cooler at all times when this happened. I think the fan stayed on all the time when the car was running. The burning smell may be a separate problem as suggested above from the heating problem you are having. If you do the coolant flush, it would be one step easier to take off the thermostat housing.

Last edited:
BTW guys do you think if I needed a coolant flush (or had air in my cooling system it would cause the heat to not work to its fullest potential? I assume it would hinder the heating, but hey I have been wrong before

Give the year of your LS, and which engine, and then I can throw out some suggestions. Coolant should be flushed every three years.

Check to see if you get good heat when the engine is idling high (2000-ish RPM) then stops when normal idle. If so, definitely the aux pump.

As for burning smell, ever replace the cabin air filter? Check to see if something broke through and is sitting on the radiator.

Heat is back I was getting air from the little hose next to the de-gas bottle (the hose used to release the air from the system). It wasn't getting tightened enough.

Heat is back I was getting air from the little hose next to the de-gas bottle (the hose used to release the air from the system). It wasn't getting tightened enough.

Could you so kindly take a picture, please?

I think he is talking about the bleeder hose.. he didn't tighten it up all the way..

Ohh, that. Thanks.

My heat also kicks in a bit more at higher RPMs, and I smell burning on occasion.

Members online

No members online now.
Back