ripped a piece out of my hand today!

BAD97LSC

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
so today i was out at a job to finish up what we started, 3 of us were there installing new exit gates on a real fancy neighborhood in safety harbor fl. well, long story short the gate is about 200 lbs per side, and 11 feet wide, 18 feet tall and it controlled by a an electric motor and sensors. i had the breakers off and the gates open, i was re-attaching the arms that go from the motor to the gate to open and close the gates, i had to manually close the gates when i was done to make sure everything was back in the same spot, and i wasnt paying attention to where my hand was on the arm, the arm is 2 piece with a pivot in the center and as i closed the gate the arm gets straighter and straighter until it looks like one straight steel arm, and i crushed the side of my hand in the pivot point of the 2 arms and my instinct told me instantly to yank my hand out and when i did i ripped off a hunk of meat about the size of a dime and about an 1/8 inch deep, i did this around 3:30 today and if i undo all the gauze i have wrapped around my hand the blood still dumps out. this thing is nasty i can see like meat and fat in my hand when i wipe the blood away, it doesnt hurt as long as i dont hit my hand on anything but this bitch isnt gonna heal very quick, its in a bad place and its deep, the hunk of skin was stuck on the gate arm i picked it up to really get an idea how deep the hole is, it looks like someone stuck a .22 barrel right to my hand and shot it. hope no one gets grossed out by things like this but look!!!!

thehand.jpg

Looks nice the pic is a little blurry but it looks like it will be around for a while.

Ive done that to my hand on a drill press. Had the meat stuck to the bit and all. :lol:

A little bit of neosporin and you should be fine........:eek: I have plenty of battle scars on my hands. They make good conversation pieces for the future! Keep it clean and covered bro!

-J-hmse-07v5wCTQcAHAqbXyXXexp_WXmFe5sBHcNTPR5uQ55LM-JP9_qhiSc6sgH0Phdj7bGLwJC6DBTtqcVVMq-YjBET05FkmPXq2Bm2pmFtZ0DBlrLPMadq7XqLn-2z_bkWNqqMJMz20Cn19xgN8vlEgX3g

You'll be ok Jamie but that is messed up where it's at on the hand. Ohh, now you'll have to move the lotion to the other hand now and learn the new stroke technique. :p

-J-hmse-07v5wCTQcAHAqbXyXXexp_WXmFe5sBHcNTPR5uQ55LM-JP9_qhiSc6sgH0Phdj7bGLwJC6DBTtqcVVMq-YjBET05FkmPXq2Bm2pmFtZ0DBlrLPMadq7XqLn-2z_bkWNqqMJMz20Cn19xgN8vlEgX3g

You'll be ok Jamie but that is messed up where it's at on the hand. Ohh, now you'll have to move the lotion to the other hand now and learn the new stroke technique. :p

Sit on your hand for a while until it gets numb,thats called "the stranger" LOL!!

Jamie, get it clean, wrap it up and stop taking the gauze off of it. Scrub it clean if you have to, using hydrogen peroxide and iodine if you have it. It will keep bleeding if you keep pulling the bandage off; the wound starts to clot, then removing the dressing yanks it back open. If the gauze you put on it starts to soak through, add more on top. Give it all day today and it will be ok to clean and re-dress tonight.

All I can say is ... Kustomizingkid in the making LOL .... You must be trying to compete with Brandon. LOL ...

When I first saw the title I thought you were working on RC's car again ... maybe trying to get a injury claim LOL ... Happy Holidays

well i worked today with it wrapped and i just took the gauze off now that i am home. i have 9 days off from work so that will help, but i have stuff planned in my shop on my break from work, like buffing my father in laws 98 completely, changing his oil and doing his front brakes, thats gonna suck now, i am putting my wifes car on the road for her christmas present, so i have to put her air struts in the front, replace the control arms and change the tires, all this stuff i have, its just a matter of putting it on, with one hand it wont be fun, i am right handed too so thats the hand i wrecked of course! its not bleeding anymore, it still can easily, but as long as i watch what i am doing i am leaving it uncovered for the rest of the day and hope it starts to dry up a little, now that the air is hitting it, it feels like i have a swarm of killer bees attacking the side of my hand!! this is it now

thehand2.jpg

Wow I bet that hurts, I've got so many scars from doing things like that...I wear leather gloves alot now

if you have aloe plants, use some. I prefer using a leaf split in half rather than a lotion with extracts. Always works better for me. I've got natural remedies for all kinds of stuff
get yourself a bottle of Vit E also and take them, it helps

yeah i have boxes of them i leave at the shop i wont be working on anything this week without them!

yeah well reguardless i need my hands to work and i cant use this hand right now, 5 fingers or not its useless.

Keep it wrapped up and clean. "Drying out" is detrimental. Let the skin "dry" for a bit once a day between swapping bandaging, and other than that keep some form of antibiotic on it.

Damn Jamie.....keep it clean.
What development was it? That $$$$$$$$ one on enterprise east of mcmullen booth?

Awwww... Jamie got a boo boo. :p

I'm not sure about your job, but you can spot an old driller a mile away by scarred and disfigured hands/fingers. :eek:

Members online

No members online now.
Back