Projector retrofit idea

Alax7

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I like the output of projectors, I just dont like how they look in an ls headlight. A few have done projector retrofits in gen2 headlight and have placed the projectors in the low beam reflector, which to me doesn't fit the car or look right. Well what about placing the projector in the high beam reflector, since it's smaller it wouldn't look so odd. You can get a bi-xenon projector so you would still have the hi-beam function. There are 2 configurations I thought of.

1) The low beam would become the hi beam bowl and the hi beam becomes the low beam with projector in it.

2) The low beam stays a low beam and the hi beam(now a bi-xenon projector) comes on along with the reflector low beam. When the hi beam is flicked on, the projector goes into hi beam mode. So you would be using 2 sets of low beams, one projector and one reflector and you would still have the hi beam function with the projector.

What do you guys think? Does it look better than the projectors retro's that have been done

DSC02379.jpg

cdc2-2copy.jpg

Go for it!! Best ones I have seen on a LS..being that you have a white car the retro fitted lights with the custom painted bezels are fresh!! Haha

I haven't bought the projectors yet. The projectors on mine are photoshopped, the white 06 are real though.I did buy shrouds to see how big they are. Should be here next week.

For the projectors, I'm going trying to decided between morimoto minis or fxr projectors. I'm also trying to find decent looking shrouds. The shrouds are cheaper so I bought those first to test out when I take my lights apart.

I'm going to buy the projectors after I do some mods that are first in line like springs, tires, and fix the tranny.

jtammerine- that white ls with lse grille is not mine. The white ls next to palm trees is mine.

The Mini H1s have an obvious downside - the awkward bulb size. With FXRs, you will have superior output mainly in terms of width, but they are physically much larger, and cost a bit more.

-1 on having them in the high beam reflectors. Looks stupid.

Yea I know that. I was saying cause im pretty sure u would color match yours...it would look good hope the project guess well

The Mini H1s have an obvious downside - the awkward bulb size. With FXRs, you will have superior output mainly in terms of width, but they are physically much larger, and cost a bit more.

-1 on having them in the high beam reflectors. Looks stupid.

You think it looks better in the low beam?

price isn't a factor just size, output, width ect.

Yea I know that. I was saying cause im pretty sure u would color match yours...it would look good hope the project guess well

I wouldn't paint the benzel though. I like how the black benzel looks and stands outs

You think it looks better in the low beam?
price isn't a factor just size, output, width ect.

Yep, it would look better, and give you no trouble to mount it.

Our low-beam reflector bowls are large enough to fit an FX-R, but they might stick out a little at the back. I think theretrofitsource have dimensions listed for each projector.

Maybe it would mount easier but I dont think they look good on the low beam bowl. They look like they dont belong there, the reflector bowl is too big and it looks bad, to me. Since the hi beam bowl is smaller, I thought I would try it. I dont know if it will look good, in my head it looks better than putting them in the low beam bowl. Maybe they'll look better then the low beam bowl, but not good enough to keep them on so that is what I will be trying to find out.

theretrofitsource is where I'm going to get them from.oh and they also make d2s morimotos

Specs from them on the fxr's

Max Depth: 140mm (5.50" inches)
Max Height 99.5mm (3.90 inches)
Max Width 85mm (4.35 inches)
Lens Diameter 2.5 inches

think about how it will look at night. also think about the lows with the fogs. im trying to visualize right now but im not coming up with too much lol.

This is what I had in mind with the projectors being in the high beam bowl, looks better to me than being on the low beam bowl.

Kleen ls did this a while back on ps, it looks better the the chop I did in the first post.

Red_LS_kit.jpg

This is what I had in mind with the projectors being in the high beam bowl, looks better to me than being on the low beam bowl.

Kleen ls did this a while back on ps, it looks better the the chop I did in the first post.

Red_LS_kit.jpg

Lower valance look like G8

Neat!

I think you need the largest projector you can find, to fit as much of the hi-beam bowl as possible, the angel eye ring will help take up some space, but having gaps will look crappy for sure.

If you can get the hi-beam bowl to have a working projector, you could then replace the real low beam bowls with an LED, so it will have characteristics of a normal headlight, but not have output that messes up the projector cleanliness. However, this may look awkward, would have to see it to know for sure.

Members online

No members online now.
Back