How many miles on your Mark VIII???

Well to expand upon my post before the 2 4 banger Fords I had were a Fairmont I got with 12k miles. Distributor had issues, brake lines blew out on me on Rt287 in rush hour traffic while going to turn off on River Road. Then my old man got a Turbo Coupe and wanted to sell it to me for a G. Open the drivers door and it falls off the F'n hinges!

Won't even get into the Ranger and it suspension failings :shifty: Plus all the 5.0 Mustangs I worked on and my friend Anthony turned the racing world on it's head but putting a SBC in it and setting records :D

I will give em props for making the MOD engine tho. Assembled plenty and that engine shows fairly good engineering unlike the Windsor and FE blocks :mad:

Hell nothing compares to the original Import that ruled the world for a while...the Flat 4 VW Beelte :dancefool

Wow. You've had some bad luck with 4-bangers:eek:

I've had two T-Bird Turbo Coupes, an '87 and an '88. Both fantastic cars. Two 4-banger Mustangs, an '80 and an '87. The 1980 was a POS, but it only let me down once, when the timing belch shredded itself on my way home from work in the rain:mad:

And I've had a 2.0L 5-speed '88 Ranger. The only problem I ever had with that truck was when the camshaft broke. Thank goodness it had valve reliefs cut in the pistons. A new cam and timing belch later it was on the road again. I put 130K on it and never touched anything except fluid/filter changes and tune-ups.

What is the record for being stupid? ;)
Dunno guess you have to ask the guys that were trying to race with Windsor blocks?

Wow. You've had some bad luck with 4-bangers:eek:

I've had two T-Bird Turbo Coupes, an '87 and an '88. Both fantastic cars. Two 4-banger Mustangs, an '80 and an '87. The 1980 was a POS, but it only let me down once, when the timing belch shredded itself on my way home from work in the rain:mad:

And I've had a 2.0L 5-speed '88 Ranger. The only problem I ever had with that truck was when the camshaft broke. Thank goodness it had valve reliefs cut in the pistons. A new cam and timing belch later it was on the road again. I put 130K on it and never touched anything except fluid/filter changes and tune-ups.

Note the 2.3 wan't the problem. Kinda love that lil engine but the cars themselves fell apart. One with virtually no miles on it and the Turbo with 100k but still the door FELL off :eek:

Ranger was a V6 that Ford saw fit to stop production on and the chassis needed aligning constantly :mad:

Then my one acquaintance has a garage full of Side Oiler FE engines that have shot the rods outta the block. Eagle rods too!

101K on my 98 LSC (just rolled over the 100k mark!). Got it with 55k in Jan 2008.

Drove my old 93 from 24,500 to 250,069 or until it died. I drove the 93 from Dec96 to Dec07.

Ken

My '93 has 156K in it's state of perpetual movement since I wrecked it in fall '09. had 122 and some change when I got it in fall '08

Now my '94 mustang GT has 232K on it. Never touched the engine in it. Bought it with 128K back in like... idk... '05...'06... I cant remember now. Gotta love 5.0 roller blocks

I just realized that in the 10 months I have had my car I have put 25K on it. :( At least I dont have to drive all those miles any more but I have still put almost 10k on the blown setup now. Oh well. At least I got 10K on the blower setup and only had to change the motor once! :lol:

I just realized that in the 10 months I have had my car I have put 25K on it. :( At least I dont have to drive all those miles any more but I have still put almost 10k on the blown setup now. Oh well. At least I got 10K on the blower setup and only had to change the motor once! :lol:

Changed before or after the blower was installed :confused:

Hmmm .. Well I said good bye to my 230,000 93 Mark VIII this summer ... not because the engine died but because it got replace and parts to be used as spares for the new 93.

1993 Mark VIII - 86,000
1994 Mark VIII - 179,000

Dunno guess you have to ask the guys that were trying to race with Windsor blocks?

I know I can hit any track any find a mustang racing with a Windsor block.

One with a SBC is harder to find.

The ones you do bump into are gm nuts and are clueless on how to make power with a SBF.

I gots this race motor....and I gots this ugly mustang...I knows!!!! lets bolt them togethrs...

I be breakin records!!

Changed before or after the blower was installed :confused:
My post sounded like it answered your question before it was asked. You have also participated in my progress thread so I refuse to answer again. :p

I've got a '94 Exploder 4x4 now that had 115K on it when I got it in March of '08 and it's got 141K now. The only major work I had to do was put a new A/C compressor on it, new valve cover gaskets, and rebuild the rear drums. Other than that, it's great!

They are nice, I think better then the 97 we now have. The transmissions are not to bad to replace either, after three I should know.:D

i have only had 1 4 cyl ford, my 88 turbo coupe, that motor was built tough, it was the roughest motor vibration wise,
but i never could blow it up, it was my 3 rd car andi was young, itried to blow it up, it had a factory rev limit of 6200, i had a chip for 7k rpm and i held it on the 7k limit for 5-6 minutes because i wanted it to blow, ( dont ask) it didnt care,

i ended up "needing" that car for 6 more years and i ran it hard( but stopped trying to kill it) and it never complained, bought it with 60k and sold it running well with 130k of the hardest miles i have ever put on anything gas powered.

DAMN Laser... U guys aren't shy about jumping in & driving!

Gotta love our Marks!

got mine with 106000 and now she has 130 on the clock i only got it in oct of 09

Don't buiy 4 banger Fords. Stick to V6/V8 Fords & you won't have a problem.;)

I can't say for most 4 bangers, but I had a 88 mustang LX 2.3L with 286,000+ and my uncle has a 92 with same motor with 212,000. Only thing we replaced on both was the transmissions.

I can't say for most 4 bangers, but I had a 88 mustang LX 2.3L with 286,000+ and my uncle has a 92 with same motor with 212,000. Only thing we replaced on both was the transmissions.

Yeah way back in the late 90's I worked at Bound Brook Ford and one of the main things was transmissions. Every other day I went to Teterboro taking 1 to 3 transmission cores for swap.

Bought with 53,300 now at 66,100.
Still in same county where it was bought new.
100_1958.jpg

Red: 205K miles when I parted it out for rust. Still ran great, Still have engine and trans (97 trans installed at 170K miles).

Green: Around 195K miles, odometer stopped working, will replace with 205K mile odometer.:) Has 125 K mile 96 engine and 97 trans in it now.

White: 123K miles original drivetrain.

Black: 115K miles trans replaced with a 97 before I bought it.

i have only had 1 4 cyl ford, my 88 turbo coupe, that motor was built tough, it was the roughest motor vibration wise,
but i never could blow it up, it was my 3 rd car andi was young, itried to blow it up, it had a factory rev limit of 6200, i had a chip for 7k rpm and i held it on the 7k limit for 5-6 minutes because i wanted it to blow, ( dont ask) it didnt care,

i ended up "needing" that car for 6 more years and i ran it hard( but stopped trying to kill it) and it never complained, bought it with 60k and sold it running well with 130k of the hardest miles i have ever put on anything gas powered.

Man, I LOVED both my TC's. Two of the best cars I've ever had. The adjustable suspension was the best part. Rode like a Town Car in "auto" and handled like a Mustang in "Firm" mode. Fantastic cars. I'm trying to find another one now. But they're getting so rare that one in good condition costs more than my Mark did when I bought it 10 years ago.:(

I now have 69K miles and the last 1500 miles were used for towing a 6000 lb trailer. No issues whatsoever towing. Had to drop it down into 1st gear several times going up some long and steep grades but the engine and transmission temperatures held steady. This is one tough workhorse and it loves to pull. Too bad, cars are not built tough like this any more.

let's just say you posted one of your life lessons on a blog...thank God I haven't posted any of mine but I have learned from my past mistakes...Laser you seem to be a stand up dude I hope Sappfire or whatever his name his recognizes that for the rest of his life.

Man, I LOVED both my TC's. Two of the best cars I've ever had. The adjustable suspension was the best part. Rode like a Town Car in "auto" and handled like a Mustang in "Firm" mode. Fantastic cars. I'm trying to find another one now. But they're getting so rare that one in good condition costs more than my Mark did when I bought it 10 years ago.:(

yeah, it was up there with my favorites, needed a little more torque down low for around town driving, and a smoother engine, but it sure did handle sweet,and the auto ride was nice because it was a huge difference between the 2 settings.
i miss the stick shift too, and the insane boost i could get on a 5° winter night with the T3 turbo i installed.

ahhhh. memories.....

Members online

Back