C Head Swap!!!

97SilverLSCcobra

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

I am going to try and start accumulating parts for a new motor build! I want to build a C Head engine! Forged bottom end of course! I will be getting a 98 engine in two weeks for starters! This will not be a project for anytime soon so I will not be starting a progress thread! This will be the kind of project where I slowly get parts as I come across them. Not going to be looking for them, just if they come to me I will get them!!!

I am wondering what all I need for the C head swap though! Will the manifolds/Headers for the B heads work on the C heads? I already know the intake side of the heads! I have all of that down, just would like to know about the exhaust! I will be using headers, so will the Kooks that we use for the B head Mark Viii's work with the C heads?

Last edited:
better to find a aviator, 99+ cobra, 03 mach 1, or marauder motor and drop it in...forging the internals would cost alot of loot including the big sum for installing a the requiring parts for the c heads to work on a previously b headed motor

better to find a aviator, 99+ cobra, 03 mach 1, or marauder motor and drop it in...forging the internals would cost alot of loot including the big sum for installing a the requiring parts for the c heads to work on a previously b headed motor

Yes, I know it will be alot of loot! I have found a set of forged manley rods for a reasonable price right now. They come with forged pistons also but a couple of them are damaged! The others look like brand new! If I was ready to do this I would probably be grabbing them up because they are fairly cheap compared to a new price on them!!! And they don't look like they had many miles on them! Oh, well things will pop up when I am ready for them! I have been having better luck lately than I use to!

I just need to know if the Exhaust manifolds/Headers for B heads will work on C heads!!! I don't know about that side of the heads! I am more familiar with the intake side of the heads!!!

Thanks for the advice!

Not really when youre talking about the blower intercooled blower setup that I will be running on top of that engine! So I really will have to set about 1500 bucks aside to try and get a set of custom headers made for a C-head Mark Viii......

my c head swap wasn't easy but imho it was worth it

i still have a stock lower end and stock exhaust but the car runs much better than it used to

Yes, the Kooks headers that Bill at SCP's sells fit the "C" heads with no problems or modifications. If you are going to a KB setup, they offer the intake (Inter cooled) as part of the tuner kit.

I don't know why everyone says B-Head manifolds wont fit C-Heads. It's been covered MANY times. The B head alternator WON'T fit. You will need to get one from a fitting application. I used an Aviator for my 94.

All of the timing components will work as well, But I would get the new updated tensioners to eliminate startup clatter. Timing Covers are different so that will need to be swapped over to keep the Factory A/C compressor. *IF* you keep the WAP block you will need to clearance a part of the drivers side ribbing on the block to clear the VIII motor mount bracket. Knock sensors are different, but if using the Teksid block.....Your golden.

All in all, it is MUCH easier to find a low mileage C-Head unit and use it to get all of your components from. I bought a 35,000 mile Marauder engine for 2,000, and a Mach1 intake for 200. after that I had it installed and running for another 500 dollars.

You REALLY need to do some research and look at how expensive a terminator accessory drive setup is gonna be to get everything spinning. Kinda cost-ineffective. If you decide to go through with it, I have a Never been pullied Eaton for 200 you can pickup.

Mike

Yes, the Kooks headers that Bill at SCP's sells fit the "C" heads with no problems or modifications

If you can get him to ship the damned things. I and alot of people on here have had nothing but problems with Bill's shop. ALSO, I've seen a couple instances where the Kooks headers have split at the collector and last I checked they (Kooks), were'nt covering it to the customers' satisfaction.

FYI anyway.

*roadboss, I have NO problem with you in anyway shape or form, Just wanting to get Bill's dirty laundry out in the open where ever I can.*

Mike

Members online

No members online now.
Back