Can't get alignment?

fossten

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I replaced the Lower Control Arms as some of you know.

I dropped the car off at Pep Boys and they say they can't align the car. I ask them who can, and they say it has to be a custom shop. It sounds like BS and they just don't want to fool with the car, but I don't know what to do now. I can't tow the car all over town, and it's not drivable. It's my DD.

I replaced the Lower Control Arms as some of you know.

I dropped the car off at Pep Boys and they say they can't align the car. I ask them who can, and they say it has to be a custom shop. It sounds like BS and they just don't want to fool with the car, but I don't know what to do now. I can't tow the car all over town, and it's not drivable. It's my DD.

It is BS
There clueless.
Get on the phone find a place close who can do it.
Get car there.
Any decent tire place should be able to handle it.
Good luck. It sucks having your dd down.

when i first got mine pepboys said the rack was bad and they didnt make them anymore. I was very confused..Ends up they just didnt want to do it..Wich is good cause it wasnt even the problem after all.
But i was new to the mark viii game and didnt know any better..

LOL

Everyday I regret having a Mark as a DD. :p

So they can't do it because they can't get it on the rack????? OMG
GO somewhere else.
LOL ouch. Ken Towery says they can. I'm taking it over there. Pep Boys can hug my left one.

Pep boys on a Sat......I bet the kid that was going to try to line up your car just bought his first tool box.

Lowered cars look nice, but can be a pain.
Glad I kept my air ride, there are a few mods I have done that I wonder why.

These car suck as daily's no doubt.

God I miss my bronco.

You should see pictures of an alignment Jamie had done once lol. It was unreal and then he took it to Lincoln where they knew how to do one and it came out right. He might post the pics. You can even see in the pic how bad it is.

Anyplace can align the car but I avoid chain stores. Then again the last 3 alignments didnt have the rear camber adjusted cause they said (3 different places) its not adjustable. Found out latter that it is and the eccentric is inside the arm, not outside.

I choose a place that allows me to set the cars ride height and let me dictate the camber seting. I drop my car to the lower height I like for the freeways and then have them dial in .7*- camber cause with the lower spring rate I get more uncontrolled upward travel that adds even more negative camber.
Then when I wear the inside of the tires I can raise the car to help even it out cause it goes to no camber.

Pep boys on a Sat......I bet the kid that was going to try to line up your car just bought his first tool box.

God I miss my bronco.
Ha...funny thing is my buddy drove me around in his old BRONCO while we had the car in the shop!

Ken Towery got the toe aligned but said they couldn't get the camber all the way because it's lowered...I think since I have a 90 day warranty on it I'll take it back there and ask them if they checked the inside of the arm like Laser says. Even so, the car rides like it's new - check that - even better than new because of the braces. I'm pretty happy with it right now.

Got a few more bushings to replace next month but now I'm thinking of doing a NEW coil conversion with the standard height kit and selling the used one at a *reduced* price. I'll probably tackle that in the next few months. Even the wife thinks that's a good idea at this point - she's tired of hearing me b*tching about the lowering kit. :p

Thanks everybody for the help.:cool:

heres the secret, dont tell them its lowered! like they are gonna know. i sensor lowered mine about 1.5" and i did my own alignment and went to the stock specs and its fine. i think shops like pepboys etc once they hear its lowered it gives them an out, so if they think its going to be hard then they just say they cant cuz its lowered

I've had shop say they can't because it was lowered .. Said that the rear camber was an issue.

So I called Eddie and handed the guy the phone. Said here he'll tell you what to do.

ive had a shop tel me there was no rear adjustments, until i went out and showed him where they were...lol

I've had shop say they can't because it was lowered .. Said that the rear camber was an issue.

So I called Eddie and handed the guy the phone. Said here he'll tell you what to do.
Anybody got a photo of where the adjustment is? Or is it easy to spot? I might try to take a look tomorrow.

Failing that, how can I get Eddie's number?

The inner bolt on the rear upper control arm adjusts the camber. Loosen the nut then turn the bolt to adjust.

From the Service Manual:

Alignment, Rear
The recommended adjustment sequence for rear alignment is to set chamber and then toe. Toe should be rechecked prior to final tightening.

Toe, Rear

Rear toe is set by rotating a cam bolt on the lower arm inner pivot. Loosen the nut securing the adjustment and set toe by rotating the head of the bolt. Lock the adjustment by holding the bolt and tightening the nut to 230 Nm (170 lb-ft).

Camber, Rear

Camber is adjusted by rotating a cam bolt at the upper arm inner pivot. Loosen the nut securing the adjustment and set camber by rotating the head of the bolt. Lock the adjustment by holding the bolt and tightening the nut to 133 Nm (98 lb-ft).

Even some dealers don't know that the rears are adjustable (camber). It depends on the tech really imo...

God I miss my bronco.

Have been searching for the wheel alignment specs - can't find that thread now, is anyone else having trouble with the search?

Anyway came across this and have to say I disagree with the above. I bought my M8 two years ago for $1000, it passed e-test and didn't need a thing for safety certificate. The car has been my daily driver for the last two years and only changed oil. Two things stopped working, the blend door (common on many cars, not just the M8) and the neon light ballast. I bought the M8 with 99k miles so the suspension was coming up to be replaced under normal maintenance and I just replaced Upper and Lower Control arms and Strut Rod bushings. And this car is driven like a true sports car is meant to be driven. How is that not Amazing for a daily driver? The fact I spent $1000 for a 290HP car with all the luxury that comes with it, is just a beautiful bonus!

Members online

No members online now.
Back