something is really wrong

invisiblem0nst3r

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
So I get in my car and start it and all the electrical is flickering and says check charging system then all electrical shuts off I try to drive and it sputters and when I turn it off and back on nothing I'm thinking the battery took a :q:q:q:q ... please help

My money is on the alternator, or a dead cell in your batt... But more leaning to alt...

Try jump starting the car, if it starts, get a voltage meter and check battery while running...if it's less than 14.2 ...then your alt isnt charging

ok i jump started it and all was well while the jumper cables were on it and when i took them off it was fine for a min then air turned off and car started to die down i really hope it is just the battery as i can maybe come up wit the money for that but if its the altinator the car will be sitting there for quite a while, and it sucks cuz its my dd. cuz my wife drives the jeep..

ok i jump started it and all was well while the jumper cables were on it and when i took them off it was fine for a min then air turned off and car started to die down i really hope it is just the battery as i can maybe come up wit the money for that but if its the altinator the car will be sitting there for quite a while, and it sucks cuz its my dd. cuz my wife drives the jeep..

That sounds like the alternator needs to be replaced as it's not charging the battery.

I had almost the same thing happen to me and all I had to do was replace the battery

Yup. Alternator. Once the car is running you can disconnect the battery and guess what, it will continue to run just just fine. Remember, once started the alt is both running the car AND charging the battery.

Now, there are times when a bad cell in a battery can cause a situation that disrupts the alternator and it wont output right, but thats pretty rare.

Sounds like the battery *may* be ok since jump starting it charged it up a little and the car ran off of it. But then it drained and the alt was not doing its job.

I anything, head to a junk yard to get an alt. And as other said, get a volt meter.

You really shouldn't disconnect the battery while the car is running. It can spike the electronics and different modules with voltage that can be damaging.

My '93 did the same thing about 2 winters ago when the alt died on the way to work. Everything just sorta crapped out slowly, Didnt notice til the heater controls shut off on me, then the car started to try and die. Had to keep hitting the throttle, run a yellow light and find a parking lot quickly. Alt tried to lock up, killed my belt. Luckily the battery was okay.

You really shouldn't disconnect the battery while the car is running. It can spike the electronics and different modules with voltage that can be damaging.

I think thats more of a myth. This is a DC setup. With AC one can get spikes.

Do not unhook the battery with the engine running. Can take out the diodes, then you will not make dc from ac. Not a good plan at all. The battery takes any voltage spikes and keeps the charging system even and smooth for lack of a better term at this late hour. You must have a charged battery to bring the alternator on line. Needs 12 volts to energize the field. Remove the battery, removes the field voltage and no charging takes place. That is why it is best to only run the car with a fully charged battery. It will not charge without the battery voltage. Generator cars will, alt. cars won't. Hope that helps. BTW, electronic fuel injection needs good voltage as well. "Can" burn up injectors. I don't have all the answers but I was a ford tech from 1993-97. These cars need and require a stellar charging system to run and operate properly.

I was going to bring up the diode point, and battery acting as a buffer too, but you said it much better than I could, thank you.
Your full fielding the alternator if you disconnect the battery (our 130A ones can full field up to about 170A+) so its also bad for the already small wire on our cars too...

This problem is happening to me right now. I got a new battery, rebuilt alternator and still die on me. Takes a jump no prob. Everyhting reads right... What else could it be?

Staff online

Members online

Back