what kind of driveshaft?

BAD97LSC

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
i have never really been under under my car since i bought it, not enough to really look around. a few things i wasnt happy about, one, the exhaust is just all :q:q:q:q galvenized steel exhaust pipe, but whatever its in good shape and sounds great so oh well, the other thing that really pissed me off this morning, i got up super early to meet up with my buddy jake and we were going to drive down to fort myers in my car to meet rich so i could pick up a seat and strut for my 98 lsc, and i walk out at 8 am and the :q:q:q:qing driverside rear tire is now flat, we had to take his trailblazer ss down so i felt like a dick at this point making him drive. wednesday at work the right rear went flat, a week before that in my driveway the right rear went flat, well turn out the chrome is just falling off in sheets on the beads so i had to wire wheel the piss out of them and used a bunch of bead sealer to seal up the pitted to hell wheels. so not happy about that but what can i do. so after we fixed the rear leaking tire AGAIN i took a good look under the car from front to back, i had it at the chevy dealer jake works at after we got back from fort myers and threw it on the lift. i honestly thought the driveshaft was stock in this car, but as soon as i saw it, i knew it wasnt, for one, its smaller in diameter than stock, and its steel painted black not aluminum, is this a stock t-bird shaft maybe? i couldnt see any stickers on it but i cant see above the gas tank. i greased up my front end, checked the whole front end over, i can see my output shaft seal is leaking a little but a very little because my car leaves no drips on the driveway ever, the bottom of the car is dry. i also had to remove a piece of firewall insulation the size of my hand because it was resting on the left header and i didnt like the looks of that!! so i just cut it with a razor. other than that the car looks good underneath. i have a complete irs in the shop i am going to blast the cradle and powder coat it over the winter and rebuild the control arm bushings and what not and put my center section in and swap it into my car, i got alot to do this winter! here are a few pics.
and thank you again rich for meeting up with me and giving me them parts, that is a heated seat you made my life so much easier with that seat!!

jamies97.jpg

jamies97two.jpg

jamies97three.jpg

jamies97five.jpg

i didnt mention anything about vibration i was asking if anyone knew what the driveshaft was out of. i know what a mark VIII driveshaft looks like and i know this isnt one, thats all i was asking.

No they didn't. Thunderbird shafts are one piece steel. At least both my '90 and '95 5 speeds did.

IIRC the 5 speed ones are shorter. Stock 4.6 birds are 2 piece steel. I know, I have had 2, and have a my original shaft out of the last one sitting in the garage....so YES THEY DO!!! :p

i havent talked to him in almost a year brandon i'm not gonna call him just to ask what the driveshaft is lol its not a big deal i just noticed it was smaller in diameter and a magnet stuck to it, i thought if it was easy enough someone would be able to tell me, i dont really care i mean it works lol!

Was it a 2 piece shaft? All IRS birds had a steel 2 piece.

IIRC the 5 speed ones are shorter. Stock 4.6 birds are 2 piece steel. I know, I have had 2, and have a my original shaft out of the last one sitting in the garage....so YES THEY DO!!! :p

Perhaps the auto cars are different, but your original statement is still wrong. :p

As far as I know the only other driveshaft from a stock vehicle that will fit in the Mark VIII is the steel POS 4.6 T-Bird one. I believe TCCOA says they are speed limited to 103 MPH.

well it must be the POS steel one then lmao, why is everything that works considered a POS? because it doesnt have a fancy sticker on it and didnt cost $450 dollars? i mean it has lasted a minimum of what, at least 10 years or so right? i have already gone far beyond 103 mph on it, about 138 actually, across the howard frankland bridge in tampa, so i already beat the odds lol. if that is a POS t-bird 103 mph rated shaft it cant be any more of a POS than that 2 piece aluminum twist prone POS that came in it from the factory. and there is no way on this planet that i will believe that ford would have engineered a driveshaft that could only be safe to 103 mph and put it inside a car that could do 130 mph all day long. doesnt make sense.

The question is, is it a stock Ford shaft? If you have gone nearly 140, I would say no. And why is the stock T-Bird shaft a POS? Because in isn't made for speed and is a heavy bastage. By the way, I only paid $200 for my shaft because I am a cheap focker:D

well turn out the chrome is just falling off in sheets on the beads so i had to wire wheel the piss out of them and used a bunch of bead sealer to seal up the pitted to hell wheels. so not happy about that but what can i do.

Jamie,
Go ahead & fix all four if you haven't already, ask me how I know:)
Primer works good after you get the old chrome off.

Jamie, The shaft was on the car when I bought it in SanDiego 8 years ago. The shop I had the 373s installed at did not say anything about the shaft at the time so im not sure what it is. Sorry I dont know what it is. BTW dont ever hesitate to call me if you have any questions or if you just want to vent!!!!!!!!!! lol! I am always on here looking at your car!

wow hey tom, glad to see even though you got rid of it, you still swing bye. i didnt want to bother you its no big deal i just happened to notice it right away and knew it was a mark VIII shaft thats all. did you ever pick up an SRT cherokee?

you know whats funny is i cannot keep my eye off mustangs lately, i have been a mustang fan inside for years, i owned an 85 gt and an 85 turbo t-bird, but lately i am seeing 03 and up stangs and i would love to buy one, but no one in hell can i even dream about it! i dont know why i am just super attracted to the newer stangs.

Maybe

i have never really been under under my car since i bought it, not enough to really look around. a few things i wasnt happy about, one, the exhaust is just all :q:q:q:q galvenized steel exhaust pipe, but whatever its in good shape and sounds great so oh well, the other thing that really pissed me off this morning, i got up super early to meet up with my buddy jake and we were going to drive down to fort myers in my car to meet rich so i could pick up a seat and strut for my 98 lsc, and i walk out at 8 am and the :q:q:q:qing driverside rear tire is now flat, we had to take his trailblazer ss down so i felt like a dick at this point making him drive. wednesday at work the right rear went flat, a week before that in my driveway the right rear went flat, well turn out the chrome is just falling off in sheets on the beads so i had to wire wheel the piss out of them and used a bunch of bead sealer to seal up the pitted to hell wheels. so not happy about that but what can i do. so after we fixed the rear leaking tire AGAIN i took a good look under the car from front to back, i had it at the chevy dealer jake works at after we got back from fort myers and threw it on the lift. i honestly thought the driveshaft was stock in this car, but as soon as i saw it, i knew it wasnt, for one, its smaller in diameter than stock, and its steel painted black not aluminum, is this a stock t-bird shaft maybe? i couldnt see any stickers on it but i cant see above the gas tank. i greased up my front end, checked the whole front end over, i can see my output shaft seal is leaking a little but a very little because my car leaves no drips on the driveway ever, the bottom of the car is dry. i also had to remove a piece of firewall insulation the size of my hand because it was resting on the left header and i didnt like the looks of that!! so i just cut it with a razor. other than that the car looks good underneath. i have a complete irs in the shop i am going to blast the cradle and powder coat it over the winter and rebuild the control arm bushings and what not and put my center section in and swap it into my car, i got alot to do this winter! here are a few pics.
and thank you again rich for meeting up with me and giving me them parts, that is a heated seat you made my life so much easier with that seat!!

jamies97.jpg

jamies97two.jpg

jamies97three.jpg

jamies97five.jpg

Jamie,,maybe someone had it custom built just for that car. Probably better than an original.

Maybe

you know whats funny is i cannot keep my eye off mustangs lately, i have been a mustang fan inside for years, i owned an 85 gt and an 85 turbo t-bird, but lately i am seeing 03 and up stangs and i would love to buy one, but no one in hell can i even dream about it! i dont know why i am just super attracted to the newer stangs.

Maybe you're AGING.

if i was aging i would want to keep owning mark VIII's, i said 03 and up mustangs, not 1964 1/2

Members online

No members online now.
Back