Islamism Goes Mainstream

Calabrio

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Islamism Goes Mainstream
My evening with Tariq Ramadan.
By Christopher Hitchens
Tuesday, Sept. 11, 2007

MANTUA, Italy—A literary festival in the ancient capital city of Lombardy is as good a place as any other to survey the question of whether there is such a thing as "Western civilization" and whether it is worth defending. Here the poet Virgil was born, and here you can see the frescoes of Andrea Mantegna, painted for his feudal patrons the Gonzagas. But the great sacking of the city, which left Mantegna's work as almost the only surviving treasure, was undertaken by a Christian emperor. And it was here, in 1459, that Pope Pius II held a "diet" to proclaim yet another crusade—this time against the Turks.

I had come here to defend atheism and secularism in general but also to have a debate with Tariq Ramadan, an Islamist academic domiciled in Geneva, who has emerged as the most sinuous and dexterous of the "interpreters" of Muslim fundamentalism to the West. He eventually declined our original debate, but there was nothing to stop me from attending his event and trying to re-stage our canceled confrontation from the floor.
Related in Slate

Osama Bin Laden may be softly "mainstreaming," but someone forgot to tell the converts. Anne Applebaum praised Ayaan Hirsi Ali for her role in reconciling secular government with Islam. Lee Smith wondered if today's moderate Muslim leaders were doing enough. Bin Laden isn't the only one looking ridiculous trying to sell out to the American public: Bob Dylan was caught by Seth Stevenson in 2004.

French author Caroline Fourest has made an intensive study of Ramadan's discrepant appearances in Europe and in the Muslim world, and has concluded that he speaks with a forked tongue and deliberately gives different impressions to different audiences. Having listened to him, I would say that the problem is not quite that. He possesses a command of postmodern and sociological jargon (of the sort that you may easily recognize by its repetitive use of the terms space and discourse to delineate the arena of thinkable debate), and he has a smooth way with euphemism.
Advertisement

Thus, he tells Egyptian television that the destruction of the Israeli state is for the moment "impossible" and in Mantua described the idea of stoning adulterous women as "unimplementable." This is something less than a full condemnation, but he is quick to say that simple condemnation of such things would reduce his own "credibility" in the eyes of a Muslim audience that, or so he claims, he wants to modernize by stealth.

His day-to-day politics have the same surreptitious air to them. The donations he made to Hamas (donations that led to difficulties receiving a visa to teach at the University of Notre Dame, a position he eventually resigned) were small gifts directed to Hamas' "humanitarian" and "relief" wing. He did not actually say that there was no proof of Osama Bin Laden's involvement in the atrocities of Sept. 11, 2001; he only warned against a rush to judgment. He often criticizes the existing sharia regimes, such as that of Saudi Arabia, especially for their corruption, but such criticism is as often the symptom of a more decided Islamist alignment as it is a counterindication of it.

In Mantua, he was trying to deal with the question of dual loyalty, as between allegiance to Islam and allegiance to the democratic secular European governments under which Muslim immigrants now choose to live. He redirected the question to South Africa, where, he said, under the apartheid system there was a moral duty not to obey the law. After sitting through this and much else, I rose to ask him a few questions. Wasn't it true that the Muslim leadership in South Africa had actually endorsed the apartheid regime? Wasn't it evasive of him to discuss the headscarf in France rather than the more pressing question of the veil or niqab in Britain? Wasn't it true that imams in Denmark had solicited the intervention of foreign embassies to call for censorship of cartoons in Copenhagen? And was it not the case that he owed his position as an informal cultural negotiator to the fact that his grandfather, Hassan al-Banna, had been the founder of the Muslim Brotherhood, an extremist organization of which his father had also been a leader in Egypt?

He described my last question as too "offensive" to deserve an answer. He gave quite a good reply on the Danish point, saying that the imams in question had been a minority and should not have received support from foreign governments. He completely dodged the question of the veil in Britain, ignored my request that he give any reason to believe that women were wearing it voluntarily, and he admitted that the Deobandi Muslim leadership in South Africa had indeed been a pillar of the old regime. On the other hand, he added, some Muslims had been anti-apartheid, and these were the "real" ones. Indeed, on everything from stoning to suicide-murder to anti-Semitism, he argues that the problem is not with the "text" itself, or with Islam, but with misinterpretation of it. How convenient. Ramadan often relies on the ignorance of his Western audiences. He maintained that there was no textual authority for the killing of those who abandon their fealty to Islam, whereas the Muslim hadith, which have canonical authority, prescribe death as the punishment for apostasy in so many words.

When I went to Ramadan's event in the Palazzo d'Arco, I had just finished reading Osama Bin Laden's latest anniversary prose-poem. Here, too, are signs of an act being cleaned up. He brags of the murders of Sept. 11, of course (thus inconveniencing all those who attribute them to Mossad or some mysterious other agency), but he does not forget to cite Noam Chomsky, CIA maverick Michael Scheuer, and the Oliver Stone theory of the JFK assassination. He also exhibits concern for the global-warming crisis, the fate of American Indians, and even the recent collapse of the subprime mortgage market. Everything he says about the war in Iraq, right up to the affected concern for the civilian and military casualties, is presented as if he had hired one of Michael Moore's screenwriters as a consultant. Most unctuous of all, he reminds his audience that the Quran has a whole section in praise of the Virgin Mary, an ecumenical point that I had noticed before. (It is typical of monotheisms to plagiarize each other's worst features, from Abraham onward.) I think that this pitch is probably too crude and crass to work, but it's exactly the crudeness and crassness of Bin Laden that require the emergence of more "credible" middlemen to allay anxiety and offer reassurance. Only six years on, and already the soft mainstreaming of Islamic imperialism is under way.

Hitchens v. Ramadan debate: Can Islam — or any faith — be called a ‘religion of peace?’
By Ruth Graham - The Daily Caller
10/06/2010

Is Islam a religion of peace? Last night, Christopher Hitchens took on Tariq Ramadan in a spirited debate at 92nd Street Y on Manhattan’s Upper East Side, 110 blocks north of the proposed mosque in Lower Manhattan that helped turned the summer of 2010 into an angry national discussion on that very topic.

Hitchens and Ramadan have met previously — you can read Hitchens’s account of a past encounter at this link — and both of their answers to the question have been well documented. Spoiler alert: Hitchens says “no”; Ramadan says “yes.” Last night the two men sat on either side of moderator Laurie Goodstein, religion reporter at the New York Times, who gave an elegant introduction, kept everyone within some rough time limits, but otherwise mostly stayed out the debaters’ way. The event was simulcast in Colorado, Rhode Island, Pittsburgh, Atlanta, Chicago, and West Nyack, N.Y.

Ramadan is a Swiss public intellectual and the grandson of Hassan al-Banna, the founder of the radical Egyptian political group the Muslim Brotherhood. A defender of contemporary Islam, his stance is that serious Islam is not incompatible with Western civilization. In 2004, as Ramadan was preparing to become a religion professor at the University of Notre Dame, the Bush administration revoked his American visa under a section of the Patriot Act that allows the barring of foreign citizens who “use a position of prominence within any country to endorse or espouse terrorist activity.” Now a professor at Oxford and allowed to enter the U.S. as of this spring, he has remained a polarizing figure for the both the left and the right.

Hitchens, a prolific polemicist, is well known as an atheist and enemy of all religious practice, as well as a fluid writer on a stunningly wide variety of other political and cultural topics. Last night, Hitchens was completely bald from recent treatments for a bout with esophageal cancer, but there was no other sign of weakness in him. He has the zeal and outsize self-assurance of a convert.

For much of the night it was hard to tell if Hitchens’s target was Islam or religion as a whole. His opening statement — after a semi-sarcastic “As-salamu alaikum” and “Shalom” — swiftly rejected the debate’s primary question by announcing that “There’s no such thing as a religion of peace, by definition.” The statement ended with the crowd-pleasing conclusion that “The only way to moral or intellectual satisfaction comes to those who are willing to take the great risk of thinking for themselves” — which in Hitchens’s view can only lead to a rejection of religion.

Ramadan disputed Hitchens’s characterization of Islam as essentially authoritarian. “The problem isn’t the book,” he said. “The problem is the reader.”

True enough, Hitchens parried. When he reads holy books, he said, “I can’t tell if this book is the word of God, but I can hope that today was a bad day for God.” When the audience laughed and clapped, he congratulated them for living in a country in which such a jest would be greeted with laughter and clapping rather than violence. This could have kicked off an endless loop of self-congratulatory laughter and clapping, but the moment faded.

Instead he breezed through a litany of offenses perpetrated on Western society by Islamist radicals, including the fact that Yale University Press declined to publish the controversial Danish cartoons depicting the prophet Mohammed for fear of a violent reaction. He mentioned the Hamas’s publication of the vile “Protocols of the Elders of Zion” on its website, the destruction of the Golden Dome in Iraq, and American fears of Muslim blow-back against the planned Koran-burning held by a “Christian nutbag” in Florida last month.

While Hitchens wants to toss Islam (and other organized religion) into the dustbin of history, Ramadan said he wants to preserve it by pressing for reform from within. The problem is not Islam, he reiterated, but some of its practitioners. “Islam is dealing with human beings,” he said, “and if you deal with human beings you deal with violence.” Thus he defends the Palestinian “resistance” while condemning violence. When he mentioned a European cleric with 40 million followers who regularly condones suicide bombing of targets including Israeli women and children, he again condemned the violence but insisted on being able to engage with the cleric on other topics. His response to Hitchens’s damning list of violent acts was that those incidences are not about religion, but about the “political instrumentalization” of ill will harbored against the west.

Though Ramadan is right that it’s nearly impossible to separate some essential nature of a religion from the politically and culturally driven actions of its current followers, two things were going on during the debate that made his response feel unsatisfactory. During the whole event, two NYPD policemen stood silently in uniform in the back of the room; a security guard told me as the audience trickled from the theater that it was a “precautionary measure.” And meanwhile on television, at the exact hour of the debate, millions of Americans watching the Fox musical comedy “Glee” saw a high-school quarterback bite into a grilled cheese sandwich emblazoned with an image of Jesus and pronounce it “super delicious.” This morning, the streets are calm.

So Cal
What are you trying to say here with these 2 meandering articles 3 years apart,
Islam isn't bad for people, it's the people who are bad for Islam?
Is that what he's saying.
I'm not clear at all what is trying to be said.

The two articles are about the same people.
Christopher Hitchens and Tariq Ramadan.
Hitchens, a very aggressive atheist, and Ramadan, a notoriously fluid Islamic propagandist.

I personally found the perpetual "fork tongued" nature of the Islamic spokesperson to be the most important part of the story. I'm also looking for some video of the debate.

Calabrio said:
For much of the night it was hard to tell if Hitchens’s target was Islam or religion as a whole. His opening statement — after a semi-sarcastic “As-salamu alaikum” and “Shalom” — swiftly rejected the debate’s primary question by announcing that “There’s no such thing as a religion of peace, by definition.” The statement ended with the crowd-pleasing conclusion that “The only way to moral or intellectual satisfaction comes to those who are willing to take the great risk of thinking for themselves” — which in Hitchens’s view can only lead to a rejection of religion.

As is well documented in shag’s posting about Islam a while back, I am no fan of the philosophy behind modern Islam. And while I think there is something sneaky and sinister behind the remarks of Tariq Ramadan, if I had to choose between Hitchens and Ramadan, I am well on the side of Ramadan. Or perhaps I should say that I am on the side of religion against Hitchens, even if that means I have to find myself on the same side of the aisle as Ramadan.

The Islamic conception of God overemphasizes God’s power and will and in doing so makes fundamental theological errors which can be refuted via natural theology apart from divine revelation. Nevertheless, the fact that Ramadan even believes in God puts him light years ahead of Hitchens. As evidenced from the quote above, Hitchens is an example of the radical individualism that leads to the rejection of reason because he wants to “think for himself” instead of granting the existence of a being higher than the Almighty Hitchens.

If Ramadan makes the error of believing in a God that is too great, Hitchens thinks of himself as greater still. And Hitchens’ error is thus far greater than Ramadan's.

I will always take the side of a guy who might not believe in any God over the one who thinks his God dictates that all others submit their will to him upon penalty of death- at his hands. Radmadan is an apologist and propagandist for an Islamic movement that we'd, over simplistically, call terrorist, in this country.

Hitchens is free to condescend all he wants, he doesn't do so at the tip of a sword.
His eternal fate is his own choosing.

Calabrio said:
I will always take the side of a guy who might not believe in any God over the one who thinks his God dictates that all others submit their will to him upon penalty of death- at his hands.

Well I think what I’m getting at is not so much that I am “for” Ramadan, but at least the US has been in a declared War on Terror (despite Obama’s failure recognize it as such). This war has been precisely against Islamic fundamentalism and jihadism which Ramadan supports. Sadly we have only declared war on militant Islam but not on militant atheism. It is the atheistic worldview which is at the heart of Leftists in America and Europe. It is the atheist worldview which gives us Obamacare and bankruptcy, kills millions of unborn children and threatens our elderly with death panels. To me, Hitchens represents the gravest threat to our nation at the moment.

Calabrio said:
Radmadan is an apologist and propagandist for an Islamic movement that we'd, over simplistically, call terrorist, in this country.

Undoubtedly so. But the fact that Islam has someone attempting to rationally argue on its behalf (not that Ramadan actually is doing a good job) means that there are parts of the Islamic world that are attempting to give the appearance of sensibility to their faith. I don’t believe that Ramadan is showing much intellectual honesty, but I don’t want to rule out that no other Muslim could make an honest attempt to rationally justify his faith. Indeed, there is a group of Islamic scholars in dialogue with the Pope on this very issue. In the 12th-13th centuries, Islam rejected reason and the Hellenistic Western culture which is based on the union of faith and reason – Islam needs to be re-Hellenized, which requires us to keep challenging Muslim’s intellectually.

Calabrio said:
Hitchens is free to condescend all he wants, he doesn't do so at the tip of a sword. His eternal fate is his own choosing.

One of my favorite scripture passages comes from St Peter: “Always be ready to give a reason for your hope, but do so with gentleness and reverence” (1 Peter 3:15-16). First off, Hitchens is hopeless (quite literally). Second, his attack on Ramadan was meant to be an attack on all faiths and for that I am personally offended. Hitchens doesn’t win a single person over through condescension but through the lie of a “do it yourself” subjectivism which makes oneself out to be God. I have just criticisms for Islam, but I will not let Hitchens be my spokesman and I certainly will not allow him to frame our argument. I may be just as opposed to Ramadan, but the fact of the matter is clearly that Ramadan is closer to reality than Hitchens.

Islam is the only religion that feels threatened by non believers and other religions.
That in itself says a lot about it's legitimacy.
They threaten you to become a believer and pay tribute with rituals or they will tax and disenfranchize you and may eventually kill you.
Athiests are not going to blow up things and die for their beliefs.
The old Soviet Union which could be described as militantly athiestic
couldn't crush religion.
As soon as you have to use force to enforce your beliefs you have shown
that you are just a thug.
Islam is the new Totalitarianism and is incompatible with western values.

04SCTLS said:
Athiests are not going to blow up things and die for their beliefs.

That's right, they just pass Obamacare and rack up the national debt so high that Amercia will collapse from the inside out. It is of course possible that some may say that Obama is a Christian and by no means a militant atheist. But who is he really siding with on these important matters for our nation? And can a man who gathers the TV cameras for his three trips to church in two years really be called a Christian?

America is not stupid. In November there is going to be a strong reaction to the philosophy of the Left. European governments, on the other hand, are strongly influenced by militant atheism and now many are taking to the streets in protest as their philosophy fails. We can't let that happen here. The few Muslims I know here in the US are voting GOP - as they did in years past. I disagree with Islam, but I disagree with the atheists more.

And one other thing. Radical Islam has killed thousands of Americans, but atheistic materialism has killed millions. We somehow tend to forget this.

And one other, other thing. There's a great two-part South Park episode that runs contrary to your position here.

And one other thing. Radical Islam has killed thousands of Americans, but atheistic materialism has killed millions. We somehow tend to forget this.

If you are refering to Nazism, Stalinism and Communism these are in effect state religions with cults of personalities that have done the killings.

It's not the joe average athiests who have killed the millions but people with a religious like zeal for their beliefs either in a diety or themselves.

And what is wrong with materialism and why do you say it has killed millions.
Materialism and the modern cyber petrochemical scientific age we live in is what provides you with the standard of living and services that you enjoy such as the computer you use to voice your opinions down to the rolls of paper in the running water bathroom.

'04, I don't think he is referring to the same "materialism" you are referring to.

As to the communism, nazism, etc. being an effective "religion", you are making a distinction without difference. Those ideologies are inherently secular and the ideologies logically follow from that secularism...

shagdrum said:
'04, I don't think he is referring to the same "materialism" you are referring to.

Here shagdrum hit the nail on the head. I do not deny our materiality and the need for effective ways to use what surrounds us for the betterment of our selves, families, and nation. But the "materialism" I speak of refers to the belief that physical stuff is all that there is. This is materialist atheism and I have no time for it.

Too much time has been spent trying to convince atheists - but my argument is aimed at those on the fence, the normal people who risk getting sucked into atheist lies and the unfulfilled, unconsummated lives which result from them.

I don't believe Ramadan is an intellectually honest Muslim, but each and every Muslim I encounter will face a strong intellectual challenge from me. The point is that a Muslim's belief in God - though deeply flawed - at least puts him in a position for debate. The atheists who run Europe and are trying to run the US are utterly beyond reason.

Islam is evil! The problem is both the Quran and Muslims.

Let's be honest and stop the political correctness nonsense!

There is no historical document or archeological finding that supports the Quran. The Quran is historically inaccurate. It is nothing but a bunch of made up stories that were used to create a false religion, which is not a religion as much as a militaristic-sociopolitical movement--and an evil one at that!

Islam does not respect the seperation of church and state which protects all americans to worship as they please or not.

As such for appearances we can keep open a dialogue but at the same time limit the number of Muslims we accept into this country to the absolute barest minimum.

This is unnofficially in effect.

I was reading a USA Today article on immigration and in the comments an Arab American was complaining how hard it was to immigrate now to the US
(he wanted to bring some cousins over here) from the middle east
and I said to myself yes! that is our unnamed policy regarding Muslims aged 16-49+
after 9/11.

Muslims don't add much of anything we like or need to American culture
and the more numerous they become the greater the threat to the american way of life.

content_cartoonbox_slate_com.gif

content_cartoonbox_slate_coma.gif

MAC1 said:
There is no historical document or archeological finding that supports the Quran. The Quran is historically inaccurate. It is nothing but a bunch of made up stories that were used to create a false religion, which is not a religion as much as a militaristic-sociopolitical movement--and an evil one at that!

Some have suggested – and I find the suggestion rather plausible – that Islam is actually a heretical form of Christianity. This is because Islam “accepts” Christ but only as a prophet, not as Lord. But it is also because Christians in the Middle East during the early centuries of Christianity were notoriously heretical and they were often the ones that Arabs first encountered. Muhammad naturally rejected the heresies proposed by certain sects claiming to be Christian – but instead of accepting traditional Christian teaching he invented an entirely new sect called Islam.

What is particularly damning about Islam is that it holds that the Quran, mentioned by MAC1 above, was given word-for-word directly to Muhammad and that the Quran has eternally been in the mind of God and is even co-eternal with God. Now this might not sound like much, but in a real way Muslims are raising the Quran to the level of God. I find it quite funny that Muslims attack Christians for believing that Jesus is God yet they turn around and hold up a book as if it were God. Who’s really committing idolatry here?

04SCTLS said:
As such for appearances we can keep open a dialogue but at the same time limit the number of Muslims we accept into this country to the absolute barest minimum.

Amen to that.

Islam does not respect the seperation of church and state which protects all americans to worship as they please or not.

This is unnofficially in effect.

I agree that the United States needs to severely curtail or even eliminate permitting immigration of Muslims. I don't say this with any sense of satisfaction, however, it remains obvious that Islam is not compatible with the principles upon which our nation was founded. And yes, Muslims do not and will not respect separation of mosque and state. Should Muslims be permitted to continue to immigrate, particularly from backwards Islamic countries, we will slowly begin to see American society deteriorate. Just look at what's happening in Europe, particularly France and the UK. Finally, France and the Netherlands are waking up to the realization that Muslims are not interested in assimilating into western society. Rather, they want to take it over and remake it into more backwards Islamic theocracies like Saudi Arabia and Iran.

The west must reject Islam at least until it is reformed, if at all possible. Otherwise, Muslims should not be permitted to immigrate to the United States. Frankly, I don't even want to look at a Muslim wearing a hijab or turban because it reminds me of how backwards and evil Islam is.

Islam is NOT "a religion of peace" or even a religion.

Islam is a militaristic, sociopolitical movement that should be rejected.

I don't believe Ramadan is an intellectually honest Muslim, but each and every Muslim I encounter will face a strong intellectual challenge from me. The point is that a Muslim's belief in God - though deeply flawed - at least puts him in a position for debate. The atheists who run Europe and are trying to run the US are utterly beyond reason.
Allah =/= God of the Bible. You might as well be saying we can reason with Satanists because at least they worship somebody.

Allah =/= God of the Bible. You might as well be saying we can reason with Satanists because at least they worship somebody.

Just because someone has some kind of religion does not mean that we automatically confer respect without examining it.

We shouldn't give some nonsense a pass on reason just because it's called religious.

The references to Jesus in the Koran are little more than a ploy by Mohamed to expand the marketability of his cult.

Because the stories of the Torah and Bible were fairly well known, if only casually, in the region, Mohamed included them in the Koran, as he remembered them, altered to accommodate his agenda, which was self-serving.

There is no commonality.
No more so than there is when debating with a modern cult leader.
This logic would be like saying that we have a stronger bond and association with Jim Jones (Jonestown) than we would with an atheist who, while void of any faith in a higher power, still believes in a strong moral code and applying honest logic and reason to situation. Hitchens is an intellectually honest man and, frankly, that's one of the reasons why he is often held in such high contempt by the political left. For example, despite his atheism, he does value human life. And because of this, he's considered to be "anti-abortion."
YouTube - Christopher Hitchens the Pro-Lifer?

An atheist with a moral code and values that a similar to those of the Judeo-christian systems is infinitely preferable than someone who is arguably part of a theo-political death cult.

The issues of eternal judgment are of little consequence, especially since the main tenets of the Christianity are not just arbitrary random dictates spoken by a power hungry tyrant, but supported by reason and logic and support a successful society. The ten commandments can easily be framed in secular terms.

Members online

No members online now.
Back