Tranny not shifting into drive

Russo

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a 98 LSC with almost 150K miles on the original transmission, and it developed some major problems.
I can shift it into reverse, and it shifts nice and strong and drives fine. However, when I shift into D, it just acts like nothing happened (except the RPMs go down just a tad), and doesn't engage at all. If I give it a little gas, it just revs like it's in neutral. However, if I give it some more gas, and bring it up to 3-4K RPMS a few times, it engages, and I can then drive it forward OK. As I'm revving it trying to get it to engage, there is rather loud high-pitched whistling sound that gets louder with the revs.

I did have a slow fluid leak, and I was topping it off over the last couple of months. I made sure I filled it up all the way, but it still doesn't make it shift right.

Is it time for a new tranny? What would cause it to engage once I rev it up? What's making the whistling noise?

Thanks!

I had something like that happen with two of my cars, the transmissions were toasted. Did you notice any metal in the trans fluid

mine was like that...but it was only that the filter broke loose from the gasket falling flat onto the pan...i replaced the filter and fliud with Mercon V and it's working again

the sound can be the trans pump trying to draw fluid and it's not getting anything because the filter is either clogged or dropped

best if you can drop the pan to see yourself if that's the case or if there are any damages done to the internals before letting a shop look at it and tell you lies about it needing a rebuild when you don't

Depending on the condition, options, and color combo, I'd ask if you want to sell it. ;)

any updates?

Trying to arrange for someone to take a look at it. I live in an apartment complex, so getting under there myself and dropping the pan won't be an option.

It's leaking tranny fluid real bad though. I added over a quart (and that seemed to have filled it up to the proper level), and a couple of days later it looks like most of it is on the asphalt now.

Weird thing is that once I rev it up enough for the gear to engage, I'm able to drive it around the parking lot ok, and subsequent shifts from neutral to drive seem to be better (though still not quite right). I've never had an automatic fail on me - is that how they're supposed to go out?

Since they aren't designed to fail...no that's not how they're suppose to go out...if you want a trans, I can get you one for $150 out of a 94...cheaper than a rebuild

That sounds like a decent price, but keep in mind which years had better transmission reliability. FWIW, my 94's auto blew up a few times and was on it's way out again when I traded it in...

Get yours rebuilt with a warranty if you can afford it... 98s are by far the best of the trans in these cars. Dont go older!

Members online

Back