Wipers with a mind of their own

91towncar

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a 91 Lincoln Town car and the wipers work when they feel like it. I have the best luck in high speed, but sometimes that doesn't even work. Also, if I leave the switch on they will eventually work for a while - maybe. I've tried the washer/wiper button, that gets them running periodically. Much of the the time when the wipers do work they will eventually slow down and stop. The wipers park just fine. It is getting them to run in the first place. Any ideas? I live and work in Seattle. It rains here once in a while.

if you wiggle around the multi function switch will it start working some times
if so I would say you need the typical multi function switch and if you have the auto dim headlights the mfs is different than the other one

other wise your motor is probably going out

I know it may sound like your multi function switch but I had to fix the same problem with my mom's Town Car. Although its a 02, I think they still might have used the same thing. First it would only work on high or when you turn your washer on, then it started making noise and then finally, it gave up and it wouldn't work at all. Same as you described. It was my wiper motor that needed to be replaced. "lincolnsonline.com" has a tech article on how to replace it. The part for the motor costs, I think $63 from autozone.

Had the same problem on mine so I took the wiper assembly apart and found out there was a mouse nest near the motor and it was clogging up the drain, so when it rained the water would go in the motor and short it up. Cleaned it and sprayed lube on it and haven't had problem since.

Members online

Back