WTF!!! someone help please...very long story

dott

LVC Member
Reaction score
i been workin on my o1 ls V6 for weeks now none stop....i did as much research as i can...my ls is overheating, it all started when the car was leaking coolant on the driver side onky. so i took it to a lincoln dealer and they said its the fan said ok but never got a new one. Second drove the car with broken fan 600 miles to another state and was fine most of the time but it did overheat at times when i was in the state doing stop and go so i took it to firestone and was told i had a crack reservoir cause they did a pressure test ok fine never got a new reservoir. finally took it to lincoln dealer again dis time i was told it was the pump and fan about 1600 repair just for parts...third got back home car sat in the driveway because it just got worse, finally did some research and found out alot of stuff like the fact u can put an electric fan in so i bought one...16 in fan blowin 1400 CFM...before putting in this fan i notice that the hydraulic fan was spinning it just wasnt spinning fast while doing research i found out that the pump has a solenoid and there is also an temp sensor that can go out as well never worried about it just wanted to get my electric fan in thinkin it was goin to solve my problem..so i put it in than i capped off the lines to the old fan but while i was puttin the new fan on i did turn the car on with no cap on the end of the line and oil went ever where so that has to mean that the pump works but anyways...blead the system and i think there is ALOT of air because the car can just drip coolant out the bleeder screw for hours anyways did a test run and the :q:q:q:qin car still overheats and i know it has air because when i turn the heater on it goes back down but it is still a lil above normal temp it got so bad that the car shut down on me in the middle of the road when i pressed on the gas to go it just quit! so started it back up and the temp went down and it was fine until i had to get where i was going which was down the street....i checked the stat and its fine and the leaking from the reservoir stopped....i have no clue what to do or what the problem can even be...maybe the fan is in wrong? cause its just a quick mount set up so maybe there is not enough space between the radiator and the fan?...i kno there is alot of people that know how to help and thats all i want

You still need a new degas bottle.

What he said.

Of course, if you keep messing around and let it keep overheating, you will have far bigger problems.

BTW, the fact that the pump pumped some fluid while not under pressure does not prove at all that it was good. (Of course, it probably was just the solenoid.)

thanks for everyone that took the time to even read dis stuff....and im gonna remember the advice...but i took out the degas bottle and there are alot of cracks!!

SANY0353.jpg

SANY0354.jpg

SANY0356.jpg

SANY0358.jpg

SANY0359.jpg

ok, here goes

my 01V6 is on its 4th fan pump and 3rd fan motor. These parts are a piece of crap and Ford knows it. The hydra fan system and coolant circulation system are separate systems. The coolant system fails at the degas bottle, plastic hose parts at front of engine and dccv. Fix all this stuff and bleed the system and you got one part done. Next the fan system. I did the start up with an open line and blew fluid all over the ground and engine. But the pump was bad, leaked at main seal so no loss. I drove the car without the fan hooked up and it did not overheat........hmmmm. if your electric fan is working, check for obstructions between the radiator and the trans cooler for old leaves an such. let us know how its going....

Last edited:
o so thats degas bottle everyone talks about? cuz i kno on a V8 when u bleed the system u have to open it up and pour coolant there i always thought the degas is a V8 thing....so those pics are just the coolant reservoir tank and the degas bottle is the other thing in the front....i hope watever i do works lol but ill keep posted

That's the culprit. This thing fails on every DEW98 platform they put it on.

Sucks that you spent that much money chasing the fix. I would've changed the bottle first.

changed the bottle and it worked fine but now the new bottle has a crack too.....im just going to trade in my lincoln for a better year model lol

always think about trading but

yeah i think about trading too, but it runs so fine when its all repaired.
recent repairs on my 01V6

failed fuel pump, failed alternator

changed the bottle and it worked fine but now the new bottle has a crack too.....im just going to trade in my lincoln for a better year model lol

You need to replace all the cooling parts at the same time.

t-stat and housing along with the bottle and everything between.

You need to replace all the cooling parts at the same time.

t-stat and housing along with the bottle and everything between.
On the V6 the T-stat housing is alum not plastic. It not even attached to the motor. It just hangs in front of engine by the hoses. So no need to mess with that.

Members online

Back