Chrome

ssmoparviii

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I was wondering after searching the web and using the search on here, has anyone found a good way to re-chrome the grille on a Gen 1? Im sort of stuck on what to do. I have a grille that is in great shape (not broken at all) but the chrome is faded and chipped off. Dont want to spend the money on a new one if I can just redo mine at home or locally.

I don't know if this would work, but this is what I figured I would try when I remove my current crummy grille and install my nice newer one. You get a can of that krylon chrome paint and repaint the grille, after really good prep, obviously. Then clear over the chrome with a coat or 2. Then after it cures for a few days, lay masking tape over the entire front of the grille and blow back spray paint in from the back side of the grille, so it blacks out the spokes in the grille, just an idea, maybe others will have an idea.

Same stuff as factory, it's just chrome tape...
And for $100 I've got an extra one

securedownload.jpg

1-2.jpg
[/QUOTE]

gen 2 chrome grills are still avail for a reasonable price , but honestly, repaint it the color of your car!

thats what i use in headlights, i did the mouldings on my green 93 too, it acctually came out really nice!
shariscar001.jpg

shariscar003.jpg

chrome tape? that's not the metalic tape they use for ducting, right? where does one get chrome tape.

chrome tape? that's not the metalic tape they use for ducting, right? where does one get chrome tape.

I found some at O reillys auto parts its called trimbrite Chrome Brite Tape or something like that. its 5 or 6 bucks

Same stuff as factory, it's just chrome tape...
And for $100 I've got an extra one

securedownload.jpg

1-2.jpg
[/QUOTE]

That looks great... I might have to do it. And btw Sapperfire I have a comforter with the same pattern on it... Scary! hahaha

I understand you buying a comforter like mine, lots of people like to pretend they are in my bed...lol

that roll of chrome tape is available at Oreilly as mentioned above, it's about $5, as also mentioned..

If you're going to trim yours up like mine...use a dremel, and wire cutters, snip away the bars you're deleting..and just file the rest down...I filed it so everything is smooth, mask the face and paint the edges gloss black, remove mask and clean clean clean with alcohol ...lay the center vertical strips first and they need to be longer than the plastic vertical bar (this helps prevent pealing) then lay the horizontal strips on, trim with exacto-knife...insert wire mesh from Home Depot and enjoy....

Or just buy my other one :D

also, if you don't want to do the custom meshing, then I recommend finding a decal shop, some place that makes buisiness decals for windows...they usually carry a HUGE variety of colors, and can just get you one sheet of which ever color you want..they'll usually always have chrome. Then get a piece or 2 large enough to cover the entire grill,
stick and trim, but I'm warning ya...trimmin all those little bars is gonna be a PITA..

Good luck !

...insert wire mesh from Home Depot and enjoy....

Once again my theory that Home Depot is the place to go for automotive customizing is proven true. Went to get something for my Mark not to long ago and the wife asked why go to Home Depot and not Autozone (right across the parking lot). I let her know its the place to go for anything custom for a car. hahaha

They are slowly converting them over to O'Reilly's out here. But I still call them Checker. Its like my Father still calls Autozone, Autoshack.

Jamie,

I have been seeking a new gen 1 grille, watch ebay all the time, never seen one for $100 or less. If you do, buy it and I will get it from you! Glad to see that you got the gen 2. I would love to have a few Marks myself. I am a fellow tech, worked for Ford in the mid 90s. Broke, so can't fix my 93. Want a rosemist for the bride and a cham. blue, a red gen 1 & 2. LOL! I do have a rat hole fund if you need the $1500. Put me on the list and let me know.

Members online

Back