double layer window tint

stallone 81

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
so for some time now ive been wanted to make my car darker by either tinting the windshield or making my windows darker. ive got 15% now and i dont feel like its that dark i want to get 5's at least but dont want to remove the tint i already have. is it hard to double layer tint or would it just be easier to remove it then get it retinted ?

Tinting your windshield would definitely make your car darker, though its not the safest thing to do. I'd love to do mine but its not worth the multiple forms of hassle it would cause.

You can double layer tint without any issues. It won't be any harder then doing it normally. I would highly suggest having any tint professionally done. Most home tint jobs look terrible unless your pretty good at it.

Tinting your windshield would definitely make your car darker, though its not the safest thing to do. I'd love to do mine but its not worth the multiple forms of hassle it would cause.

You can double layer tint without any issues. It won't be any harder then doing it normally. I would highly suggest having any tint professionally done. Most home tint jobs look like terrible unless your pretty good at it.

yeah i would def get it done professionally but i some places wont do the double layer idk why i went to 2 places and they both said that i must have the tint removed but i know you can double layer because my friends got double 5's on his car

I'd try taking it back to the place you had it done at originally. Bring the receipt, if you have it, and tell them you want to go darker. They might give you a deal on redoing it and not charge you to remove it

I'd try taking it back to the place you had it done at originally. Bring the receipt, if you have it, and tell them you want to go darker. They might give you a deal on redoing it and not charge you to remove it

yeah i was thinking about doing that on monday ill have to stop by there and hopefully i can work something out with them

Double layering tint is not the tough. I have 5% over 20% on my LS. It was easy. Not sure why the fuss from the tint places.:confused:

Double layering tint is not the tough. I have 5% over 20% on my LS. It was easy. Not sure why the fuss from the tint places.:confused:

i got 15 not and its pretty much like 20 and wanna put a 5 over it. what percent would it be like 3% cuz a 5 over 5 is 2.5

If you put a layer of 5 over your 15 its going to be insanely dark. I'd hope you don't plan on driving anywhere from sunset to sunrise. If by chance you do i'd bring along someone to get out of the car and help you park it

i got 15 not and its pretty much like 20 and wanna put a 5 over it. what percent would it be like 3% cuz a 5 over 5 is 2.5

From what I understand. The 20% with 5% over it is 1%. From sitting in my LS. At night, it is almost impossible to see anything outside the car. During the day, I have to have my dash lights on to see the guages. My are VERY dark.

Many shops want to remove previous tint due to quality and money.

They will claim "we use high quality film and don't want it being slopped up by some other brand underneath".... Which then translates to "we want to charge you to steam it off, because it is easy to do and then we can charge you again to place 2 new layers."

Also, most new films are metallic based. Which do not fade. Older tint is dyed and it will fade, that is the tint you see on cars that is basically purple instead of black. I recommend having any dyed tint pulled off anyways.

Most shops use multi layer films to achieve different darkness levels, some shops will only carry say: 75% 50% 35% 25% 5%

They can use combinations to achieve what the customer wants, and then charge extra for having to do the extra layers.

People that have double 5%, are basically rolling with paint on their windows. I rock 5% and I love it. Wouldn't go any lighter, ever.

Correct.

If he were to put on a layer of 5 he would be at .75%. He might as well paint his windows black

yeah a 5 over 20 is one percent i just looked it up and it said that 20 over 20 is about 4 percent i think i might just do that i think 1% might be a little too dark for me lol

Why dont you get 5% in the rears, 15% or 20% in the driver side and passenger side and 50% up front. It's what I have and it's great. Having the front windshield tinted makes the others look darker because less light will go in to the car and shine out through the window. It's not hard at all to see at night through the 50% windshiedl but backing up looking through the 5% rears is, thats why I installed a back up cam to back out at night.

i love my 5% with the 35 in front and then a strip on the top of the windshield, the shop i went to only carries 35, 20, and 5

i originally had 20 on the front, got a ticket, and they charged me $20 to take it off, and then 60 to redo it like 3 months later.... but they always remove the previous tint but they keep doing a sh!tty job and i get bubbles.... but HEY! maybe they shouldn't have given me a lifetime warranty :D

Why dont you get 5% in the rears, 15% or 20% in the driver side and passenger side and 50% up front. It's what I have and it's great. Having the front windshield tinted makes the others look darker because less light will go in to the car and shine out through the window. It's not hard at all to see at night through the 50% windshiedl but backing up looking through the 5% rears is, thats why I installed a back up cam to back out at night.

i was thinking about just adding 50% to my windshield now and leave my windows alone but here in jersey if you get caught with windshield tint you not only get a tint ticket you get and obstruction of view ticket and some towns even inpound your car thats the only reason i was thinking about making the windows darker

Sorry, got nothing against tint within reason, but I think Douche when I hear tinted windshield! Kinda like guys who wear sunglasses at night.

There are times when it's sunny and 100˚ out (like all this month here) when I wish I had my windshield tinted.

Sorry, got nothing against tint within reason, but I think Douche when I hear tinted windshield! Kinda like guys who wear sunglasses at night.

Have you ever been in a car with 50% in the windshield at night? I dont see why people says it's like driving with sunglasses at night, it's not. It is a lot lighter than wearing sunglasses. I drive with the windows down at night and I can see perfectly. It is harder to see through the side windows at night,20%, but having 20% on the windshield is like driving with sunglasses not 50%

There are times when it's sunny and 100˚ out (like all this month here) when I wish I had my windshield tinted.

It's the best thing not trying to hide away from the sun's rays. It's also great at night, ppl with the hid kits wont blind you with their glare.

I've been wanting to get my windshield tinted soon too but don't want any tickets. I live in the southwest and it gets insainly hot here. Black leather doesn't help either. Has anyone seen that other tint stuff, its basically like a static cling. It's thicker and can be easily taken off and put back on. I was thinking about trying that stuff on my windsheild so if I do get pulled over I could easily take it down and hopefully avoid a ticket, then put it back up later, haha. The only thing is I'm not sure if it'll shrink, but does the windsheild have enough of a curve to need shrinking?

That static cling stuff sucks. I first tried it years ago on a rear window and it will actually make it a little blurry to see out of so I would NOT recommend using it on your windshield.

On my last car I had 2 1/2% tint all the way around with no tint on the windshield, and I had to be standing right in front on my car to see if it even unlocked at night. I have 20% going all around with nothing on the front of my LS now and even at night I don't have any problems seeing out the windows. Anything darker than what I have now in the state of Wisconsin and the cops will pull you over just for something to do.

They see a car with any mods done to it, and it is a bigger target than driving 30 mph over the speed limit where I live.

Hi there, I am a professional window tinter, been in the business for 6 years (time is the wrong question here) I have tinted over 5000 vehicles in Kansas. I would agree with andrizzle, but would give my advice, one of the reasons why some shops deny doing the job is because of the warranty issue, many film distributors have film-to-glass policy, where it states that they cannot guarantee that the film will adhere properly if you tint over existing film, other than that is your choice, sometimes it is much easier to tint over existing film because you dont have to worry much about how clean it is, since the first layer is what is most important.

personally I dont like to tint over existing film because it 'might' peel sooner, but when the need for darker film is the issue that is the only choice, so good luck.

Many shops want to remove previous tint due to quality and money.

50% True. one of the biggerst faults to double layers is the quality of the first layer. if you have a scratch on the first layer...it will stand out 3x more when you add the second layer. The money portion is not that big of deal, cause like someone has already said, they will just charge you for it anyways. Also, when you add a second layer, it obviously increases the thickness of tint on the window, which increases the opportunity that you window seals will peel the tint back.

Also, most new films are metallic based. Which do not fade. Older tint is dyed and it will fade, that is the tint you see on cars that is basically purple instead of black. I recommend having any dyed tint pulled off anyways.

75% True. while most new films are metallic based and older tint is died, new films can fade just as much as old films. the only difference is, New film wont fade from direct sunlight like older tint. If you clean your windows with, lets say, Regualr Windex / Amonia / Alcohol, this breaks down the metallic film, cause the tint to fade. However, Windex does make a special brand of window cleaner that is "Tint Safe" you can normally pick it up in the Automotive section at your local wal-mart.

People that have double 5%, are basically rolling with paint on their windows.

100% True...and i F***ing love it.

I have 35% on the windshield, 5% on the front two doors, double-layer 5% on the back two doors, and 20% down the back glass (for more visibility at night)

Andrizzle, not attempting to say that you are wrong by any means, just wanted to clear things up a bit about the subject, to have more of a professional view on things, from a Window Tinter. :)

Members online

Back