My Ls gave me a code of p0240.....

Ls Guy

LVC Member
Reaction score
upon checking it says "Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold Bank1`

What exactly does this mean or seem to indicate

Thanks again for any help fellas..

The four biggest possibilities are:

1. Your right side catalytic converter is failing. (If so, this is probably because of misfires because of marginal COPs.)
2. You have an exhaust leak on the right side.
3. Your right rear O2 monitor is bad.
4. Your right front 02 sensor is bad.

(Note: I assume that you meant code P0420.)

Hi Jager, yes thank you I meant p0420......ok gottcha....when your referring to "misfires" because of "COPS" whatis it exactly you are are you referring to?

Ls guy.

Hi Jager, yes thank you I meant p0420......ok gottcha....when your referring to "misfires" because of "COPS" whatis it exactly you are are you referring to?

Ls guy.

COP = Coil On Plug
The LS has an ignition coil for each cylinder. They are very prone to failure, especially the ones from the earlier years.

BTW, it is usually a good idea to include the year of your car and if it is a V6 or a V8. In this case, it doesn't really matter, but at other times it can.

If it's a coil problem, then take it to the dealership. They extended the warranty on the COPs. I got mine installed for free. Had same problem. Car was idling a little rough and the engine light came on, took it to Ford and they replaced it no charge. Funny thing is, I was ready to pay for it since I can't do it myself, and im in Afghanistan.

Hey Jager, thank you again. Sorry should have nmentioned, 2002 LS...130 kilometers, v6.

Hey Kingtonghsp, thank you for the info.....would it cover an 02? Anyway I can check?
Stay safe in Afgan country!! Have you met up with Canadians there?

Best Reguards to the both of you from Canada! and thank you both again.

Hey Jager, thank you again. Sorry should have nmentioned, 2002 LS...130 kilometers, v6.

Hey Kingtonghsp, thank you for the info.....would it cover an 02? Anyway I can check?
Stay safe in Afgan country!! Have you met up with Canadians there?/QUOTE]

Extended COP warranty only covers 2003-2005 years, 10 years/100k miles.

=(, sorry getting your hopes up. Next time post year, model, and miles just in case we need that kind of info to get you the help you need. Coil would be a easy fix though, 50 somewhat dollars and easy install.

P.s. Yes I have! I love Tim Horton's! LOL...first time trying it, never knew what it was, but you guys make excellent coffee/doughnuts.

The four biggest possibilities are:

1. Your right side catalytic converter is failing. (If so, this is probably because of misfires because of marginal COPs.)
2. You have an exhaust leak on the right side.
3. Your right rear O2 monitor is bad.
4. Your right front 02 sensor is bad.

(Note: I assume that you meant code P0420.)

well i thought it was the left side?? mine said the same thing and i took it in and it came out to be the left side which is driver side

well i thought it was the left side?? mine said the same thing and i took it in and it came out to be the left side which is driver side

I'll wait for others to chime in.

My thinking is that cylinders 1 to 4 are bank 1 and they are on the right (passenger's) side of the engine. Cylinders 5 to 8 (bank 2) are on the left (driver's) side.

My thinking is that cylinders 1 to 4 are bank 1 and they are on the right (passenger's) side of the engine. Cylinders 5 to 8 (bank 2) are on the left (driver's) side.

Think "bank 1 cylinder 1". Bank 1 has always been the side with cylinder 1 in my experience.

Good ole P0420. Common issue on Subarus.
Have you have any trouble with misfiring (dead coils) in the recent past? (stupid question I know, it's an LS! Of COURSE it had misfires! :lol: )
If so how long before you had it fixed?
Joe has the bucket list for this pretty well down.
Bad cats aren't "common" per se on these, but with all the coil issues it's not unlikey. I'd certainly check for exhaust leaks first (it's easy). Check for vacuum leaks as well. Check O2 sensor outputs if you have the ability. If not, you can play the "pin the part on the car" game if you want.

ok am 99.9% sure its the left side and you also need to change your sensor also...like i said mine was the same and it came out to be the left side but i have 03 lincoln ls i dont know is that will make a difference

ok am 99.9% sure its the left side and you also need to change your sensor also...like i said mine was the same and it came out to be the left side but i have 03 lincoln ls i dont know is that will make a difference

Well, I'm confused then. My searches of Ford documents and of this site all say that bank 1 is the passenger side. Are you sure that you didn't have a P0430 code, which would be bank 2, the driver's side.

I had to find cylinder 7 once due to a misfire. It was on the driver's side, bank 2.

This is your typical Ford V engine cylinder location:
Front (belt side)
5 1
6 2
7 3
8 4
Rear (transmission side)

From sitting inside the car, Bank 1 Right side, Bank 2 Left side.

Well, I'm confused then. My searches of Ford documents and of this site all say that bank 1 is the passenger side. Are you sure that you didn't have a P0430 code, which would be bank 2, the driver's side.

I had to find cylinder 7 once due to a misfire. It was on the driver's side, bank 2.

i had the p0420 code pop up and took it to fire-wheel they checked and told me it was the left side...i replaced the left side with cat and 02 sensor and took my car for inspection which passed and the engine light has not come back since then :cool:

Thanks guys for al your imput and interest. I cleared the check engine light, scanner, and checked again..of course a couple of lights were blinking. I think it said could not complete all tests yet, yellow light. If I recall it was emission related.
Check engine light is still off and I get a green light now with nothing blinking. So I reckon all is well???..hopefully???...
Also re backfires & coils...I have only owned it a short time...no backfires showed up on scanner...I haven't heard or felt any.
I do want to tune it up however.....including plugs and coils....anything else I should make sure the mech does re tune up that is ls specific?

Thanks again!

ps....I appolgize Joe......realize I refered to you as Jager .

Last edited:
Thanks guys for al your imput and interest. I cleared the check engine light, scanner, and checked again..of course a couple of lights were blinking. I think it said could not complete all tests yet, yellow light. If I recall it was emission related.
Check engine light is still off and I get a green light now with nothing blinking. So I reckon all is well???..hopefully???...
Also re backfires & coils...I have only owned it a short time...no backfires showed up on scanner...I haven't heard or felt any.
I do want to tune it up however.....including plugs and coils....anything else I should make sure the mech does re tune up that is ls specific?

Thanks again!

ps....I appolgize Joe......realize I refered to you as Jager .

It's misfires, not backfires. You can have some misfires without triggering the light or any counts. You can't hear misfires, but you can feel them under the right circumstances (usually moderate acceleration).

gottcha....thought they were one and the same...as you can see I am a technical expert...lol.....Do you reckon I should do the tune up reguardless? Anything I should get the mech to look at specificaly ie a part that wears etc...that is accesable while he has it opened up so to speak.

Ed

Members online

Back