satellite radio module ?

ShortCircutLS

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
ok so I went to the dealer last week about a satellite radio module for my 06 LS. I'm sure a lot of you already know that the dang thing costs $500 not installed ! I've looked at some threads but seen nothing pacifically about adding one into a used vehicle. So what im getting at is , does anyone have an LS they are parting out ? obviously with the Sirius module . Or what are you guys doing with yours? I don't want to remove the factory radio. Let me rephrase that I wont remove the factory radio so that's not an option.
BTW I have checked the SAT. button and there's no satellite available.

ok so I went to the dealer last week about a satellite radio module for my 06 LS. I'm sure a lot of you already know that the dang thing costs $500 not installed ! I've looked at some threads but seen nothing pacifically about adding one into a used vehicle. So what im getting at is , does anyone have an LS they are parting out ? obviously with the Sirius module . Or what are you guys doing with yours? I don't want to remove the factory radio. Let me rephrase that I wont remove the factory radio so that's not an option.
BTW I have checked the SAT. button and there's no satellite available.

Unless you get a satellite receiver (I have a Starmate I'm trying to get rid of....) you're going to have to remove the radio. The only way to get satellite without removing the radio is to have a receiver with an FM modulator that will play the satellite content through a radio station. The reason you have the button and no content is because you need the module.

i think he means he wont replace the radio with aftermarket. (i hope anyways)

well if you want Sirius, then your gonna have to pay for it, and if your so set on keep the factory radio, then you need to be prepared to over pay for factory equipment (not that you would really save any money going aftermarket by the time that you buy a radio, SWI, sat tuner and install parts)

instead of your stealership, call max, his number is to the right here --------------->>
his price will be much better than your local shop, also check in junkyards, and online(if you buy online, you need to make sure that you get all parts, harness, module, and antenna)

or you can go with a plug & play option like LS4me's and have an extra module on the dash and lose a little sound quality and add it to the radio you already have

I think that there are other options for adding satellite radio to the LS and retaining the factory sound and headunit controls. Here's one example.
http://www.tss-radio.com/products/ford-kenwood-sirius-tuner-package-98-02

Unfortunately, I've had trouble getting my 06 with navigation to work correctly with any aftermarket adapter. Apparently they changed something about the communications protocol to the sat module in 06. I don't know if this only applies to the navigation headunit or to all of them. Anyway, search the web. You may yet find something.

I think that there are other options for adding satellite radio to the LS and retaining the factory sound and headunit controls. Here's one example.
http://www.tss-radio.com/products/ford-kenwood-sirius-tuner-package-98-02

Unfortunately, I've had trouble getting my 06 with navigation to work correctly with any aftermarket adapter. Apparently they changed something about the communications protocol to the sat module in 06. I don't know if this only applies to the navigation headunit or to all of them. Anyway, search the web. You may yet find something.

Except he said he would not remove the radio to add a module.

Talk to Andy (email at LobsenzA@AncoAuto.com or by phone at 512-535-3040) at Anco Auto Specialties. He hooked me up with a module for both my '06es with NAV. The satellite works fine.....

Except he said he would not remove the radio to add a module.

Talk to Andy (email at LobsenzA@AncoAuto.com or by phone at 512-535-3040) at Anco Auto Specialties. He hooked me up with a module for both my '06es with NAV. The satellite works fine.....

I'm pretty sure he means that we won't replace his factory head unit. Adding the factory satellite module still requires removal and re-installation of the head unit. That's the only way to plug into the back of it.

Well I know ill have to remove the radio to hook up the module. But I don't want an aftermarket CD player. They only last about a year or two and by then it will be obsolete anyway ! I'm trying not to just be a finicky woman. (Yup I'm a girl, and I probably know more about cars than ANY woman should know ) But I love the steering wheel controls and the whole package. I just love everything about the LS. Maybe that's why I bought another one after my 2000 kicked the bucket ! I'm just hoping that someone else here has an LS they're parting out with a module ,wires and antenna to sell. Or even trade for parts from my 2000 LS.

But I don't want an aftermarket CD player.
that what i figured when you said it at the beginning.

They only last about a year or two
i disagree, any good quality headunit, should last just as long if not longer than its OEM counter part.
the eclipse radio that i bought for my mark back in 01 or 02 is still kicking it real nice in my dads ranger (its in his ranger because his OEM radio broke after just over a year)

the alpine radio i bought for my first LS (because the OEM was broke when i got it in 04) was put into my second LS(dont even get me started on that disc eating OEM monster) and then moved into a friends Cadillac after i upgraded to nav and its still running strong 6 years later

But I love the steering wheel controls and the whole package. I just love everything about the LS.
and that why i can under stand keeping the factory, with all the parts you would need to keep everything functional it would cost you as much or more than the dealer price

you should see if the part number is the same for any different vehicles and try to find one online for cheaper

You can also add an ipod adapter if you want music not with cd's. Someone with an 06 i think recently installed one that works. Just throwing that out there, maybe you dont know that you could do that too.

Well I know ill have to remove the radio to hook up the module. But I don't want an aftermarket CD player. They only last about a year or two and by then it will be obsolete anyway ! I'm trying not to just be a finicky woman. (Yup I'm a girl, and I probably know more about cars than ANY woman should know ) But I love the steering wheel controls and the whole package. I just love everything about the LS. Maybe that's why I bought another one after my 2000 kicked the bucket ! I'm just hoping that someone else here has an LS they're parting out with a module ,wires and antenna to sell. Or even trade for parts from my 2000 LS.

Got it. I would still check with Andy (email at LobsenzA@AncoAuto.com or by phone at 512-535-3040 at Anco Auto Specialties). IIRC I got the unit for ~$300 and installation was pretty straightforward. It took me a couple of hours, which didn't include painting the antenna.

Awesome. I emailed them so well see ! I just don't want an after market CD player. Otherwise I wouldn't have asked and I would have had satellite by now. I figure its no harder to install than it is to remove the head unit from my other dash. As long as the antenna is mounted in a good spot. Thanks for posting their number. LS4Me. If I don't hear from them ill call later in the week.

I'll second the recommendation for Andy. I bought the Sirius unit for my '06 from him, as well as the PIE adapter for my iPod.

Thanks I'm going to go ahead and call him now. See , this is why I come to LVC before I get screwed into paying 500. Everyone here is always so helpful !
On another note. I was just informed on forum manors. I never even thought of introducing myself. I apologize. I'm Stayci , I'm on LS # 2 ! And i think There's a newbie forum I should probably be posting all of this in ! So hello all !

Here's the number Andy has on his site (http://www.ancoauto.com/): 512-670-8289

You can also call Max at Five Star Ford; see his ad on the right-side of the forum (up near the top). He should be able to get you the unit for far less than $500. Andy had the best price at the time, but it wasn't a whole lot more to get the unit from a friendly Ford dealer.

Last edited:
SoonerLS. The web page won't load and that number is also disconnected. Ill try from my home computer when I get off work today and see if that does me any good. Nobody has replied to my email either.

SoonerLS. The web page won't load and that number is also disconnected. Ill try from my home computer when I get off work today and see if that does me any good. Nobody has replied to my email either.
The forum included the ): in the URL for some reason--maybe it wasn't happy last night. ;) It's now fixed.

This is the deck that I picked up off eBay, brand new, factory sealed in the box for less than half the price brand new including priority shipping and insurance. I have the Alpine Sirius add on unit with the nav-traffic and it works awesome. I have also added in the module so that I can use the steering wheel controls. And it replaced my last Alpine deck that was a flip out indash DVD player that STILL works in perfect condition and is over 5 years old. I just upgraded so that I could have control of my iPhone from the deck with paying for the add on module (Which as $100 less than what I got the deck for!)

Alpine Double din 1.jpg

Alpine Double din 2.jpg

Alpine Double din 3.jpg

yea those media receivers are pretty nice, no moving face, no moving parts for a CD player, nice and simple and should last forever.

Ok ! That looks great ! I'm gonna need some more info if you can still use your steering wheel buttons. I love having the comfort right there at my thumbs ! But I didn't realize how much I liked it. In my 2000 they quit functioning. Now in my 06 I definitely appreciate It. Do I buy the module for this at a stealership ? Also , did I mention that I don't have nav. Its just the in dash 6 disk.

I'm gonna need some more info if you can still use your steering wheel buttons.

if your not replacing the factory stereo, then your steering wheel controls should work just like they do now, just make sure that what ever add on modules you use have a T harness and not just a "unplug the factory harness and plug this one into its spot" type of setup.

Members online

Back