obscure muscle

tlake

LVC Member
Reaction score
Which sporty rides would you say have been overlooked unfairly? I think the Matador X 401 deserves more credit. :steering

74_Coupe_BW2.gif

SD 455 T/A

bakers_ta.jpg

71dmnad2.jpg

401 in a Matador? Humm, that's a new one on me. Obscure no doubt.

However, SD-455 T/As, while fairly rare, are quiet well known and legendary. The '74s seem to be under-appreciated compared to the '73 (ugly 5-MPH bumper no doubt), however the truly obscure SD-455 cars are the Formulas. While most Formulas of that generation had dual, forward facing hood scoops (the early ones were functional, the later ones were cosmetic), the SD-455 Formulas had a shaker scoop just like the T/A, yet they did not have the other "ground effects" that came on the T/As (fender extractors, wheel opening flairs, etc). I can't remember the production numbers on SD-455 Formulas, but I'm pretty sure there were less than 100 each year, '73 & '74.

Demons and 340 Dusters have certainly stayed out of the spotlight over the years. But I remember alot of 340 Dusters on the roads back in high school, hardly see them anymore. Didn't Al Bundy (Married w/ Children) drive a Dodge Demon?

How about a '72 Hurst Olds Vista Cruser wagon? I've only seen one, they made a dozen or so for the '72 Indy 500. 455, bucket seats and a dual-gate shifter, now THAT's my idea of a SPORTS Utility Vehicle.

Al Bundy had a Duster, a brown one, I don't think it was a Demon though.

AMC offered 4bbl 360s and 401s, although the 304 was the popular choice. I haven't thought about the Vista Cruiser for years. Almost as rare would be the Monza Mirage and Monroe Handler Mustang.

731985_2_full.jpg

mh6.jpg

When I saw that Monza I thought of the Mustang II Monroe Handler, but scrolling further I see you have that covered. Mustang IIs with 302s are good sleepers and if you're willing to go to Mexico and get one they came with 351s there. Of course you could drop your own 351 in a Mustang II. I've seen them with EFI 5.0s, 351s, and even one with a 4.6 SC Cobra engine.

Members online

Back