Aftermarket car stereo installation. Subwoofer question

loquio

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi. I am new to the forum, and I have been searching around for some details about the aftermarket car stereo installation.

I have the Audiophile sound system with 12 speakers. I installed a GPS Car stereo, and used a special harness for the Audiophile system, it all works flawless except that the subwoofers are too loud that even with the lowest subwoofer setting in the new stereo, sounds too loud. The aftermarket harness came with an RCA input and I used the subwoofer output from the aftermarket stereo, and I think the harness comes with a resistor, but I think is not enough and needs another resistor to bring the subwoofer volume down a bit more.

:confused:Anyone has any ideas or experience on this? Like how many ohm's resistor should I use? or a regulator?

I still get a popping sound when the car stereo turns on...

Thanks! ;)

Did you play with the gain on the amplifier? It is essentially a volume knob for the amp. You may need to turn it down.

Did you play with the gain on the amplifier? It is essentially a volume knob for the amp. You may need to turn it down.

what he said.
that's gonna be your only problem. turn the gain on the amp down and the subs will be softer. but that's usually how it goes when you have an amp on one thing and not on the others...
the thing with the amp is going to be louder and overpower everything.

what he said.
that's gonna be your only problem. turn the gain on the amp down and the subs will be softer. but that's usually how it goes when you have an amp on one thing and not on the others...

There is no gain adjustment on the factory amp.

Thanks! ;)

I wish I could remember what size resistor I installed, but I do know I no longer have the popping issue anymore. I picked up the resistor at Radio Shack though.

I wish I could remember what size resistor I installed
this is where the resistor comes in, you need to place the resistor (1450 ohm) inline with the amp turn on wire (blue/white) to stop the turn on and off pops

It is essentially a volume knob for the amp. You may need to turn it down.
NO ITS NOT, it is an input sensitivity adjustment, aftermarket amps only have this adjustment because source units vary in the strength of their outputs and the gain needs to be set accordingly, its not an "i want more bass so ill crank it up knob" in every application it has a specific level at which it should be set at.

Did you play with the gain on the amplifier?
You may need to turn it down.
what he said.
that's gonna be your only problem. turn the gain on the amp down and the subs will be softer.
as joe said, there is no gain adjustment

but that's usually how it goes when you have an amp on one thing and not on the others...
there is an amp for every thing, the amp for the smaller speakers is inside the radio and the amp for the subs and the center console speakers are not, the sub amp is next to the subs and the center console amp is next to the steering column,

the whole system was designed to be used together, the problem comes form the new headunit has a much stronger pre amp signal (which is why the subs are too loud) this should be easily adjustable from the radio's sub out level settings, if you have it turned all the way down, and its still too loud, there is a problem with quality of your head unit, all head unit's sub level adjustments should be from 0%(completely off) to 100%, if you cant go down to 0% (off) then you either may have it hooked up to the wrong spot(maybe rear outputs instead of sub outputs), or your headunit is junk and you need to get a better one.

Members online

No members online now.
Back