HELP!! LS V8 engine noise

jettech

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I have an 05 Ls With 3.9l and 46'000 miles on it. The problem I have is the engine making a very loud ticking noise at start up. It sounds like lifter or valve noise. It does it after the car has set for a couple hours warm or not. The thing is it does not do it every start. I have taken it to the dealer and of course it will never do it there. I have 5w-20 Mobil 1, a motorcraft filter and is full of oil. I thought it may be a problem with the timing system or oiling system but with the problem not always occuring I have no idea where to start. The car runs and performs great just sounds like a junker at start up sometimes. Any help is greatly appreciated.

sorry I don't have a solution but mine does the same thing every once in a while, sometimes even sounds like a diesel, 04 3.9l V8

same thing for me and i got 100km on mine, very embarrassing when you start your car infront of your parents and they go wtf is that...any ideas anyone? sounds like VERY load injector noise only last about 20 seconds.

My V6 rattles like a diesel when in gear at idle... Very embarrassing going through the drive through

my V8 does the same thing, but I haven't noticed any negative effect on my car, it does it all the time when the car is stopped, haven't noticed any ticking while driving tho...actually as soon as i put it in gear it stops. :confused:

I'm guessing it's cuz it's a higher octane than 87 and there is more compression and that's what diesel needs in order to com-bust is compression, i don't know maybe. if anybody has ever watched Pimp my ride they put a high performance diesel in a Chevelle in one episode, I've thought about doing that to my 63 Impala, ever better MY LS!

OH one more thing I've read somewhere that this 3.9 is some type of Duratec motor, root word Dura, maybe some type of petrol version of a "Duramax" diesel.

check this out - YouTube- Diesel Impala Smoke a Lamborghini

OH one more thing I've read somewhere that this 3.9 is some type of Duratec motor, root word Dura, maybe some type of petrol version of a "Duramax" diesel.

Nope. The 3.0L V6 is a derivative of the Duratec in the Taurus and Sable from 1996 until their demise in ~2006. The 3.9 is pretty much the same as the Jaguar 4.0L; different bore.

There is no way the Ford gasoline engine would be a version of a GM diesel engine. Ford injectors aren't a stranger to noise.

V8 Engine Noise on start-up

I have not noticed the engine noise on our 2006 LS since using WIX oil filter -- don't know if it will correct your noise.

FYI. I've experienced this very same thing during start up conditions on other engines and my solution was to use a Wix or NAPA gold oil filter (same thing). Apparently the Anti-drainback valve is the culprit that will basically cause the oil to leak back into the pan and not be present during initial start up. Once I made the switch to Wix or Napa gold oil filters this problem went completely away! I have'nt had this problem with the LS but, again I only use wix or napa gold filiters. You can google "Bob is the oil guy" and or "oil filter reviews". There's a lot of good information out there. IAlso, I've been using only Mobile 1 for quite some time now and have had no problems with my cars. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Last edited:
never had this issue in my 2002 V8 with 127k miles on it. About once per month I do get a noticealbe cloud of blue smoke when I start it up. No consistent scenario when it occurs. It can be cold, hot, recently driven, say for awhile. Only ever does it maybe once per month at most, and on initial startup. Never ever does it while driving. The engine burns at most, 1 quart of oil every 10k miles. At most. I run full synth 5w-30 and use Fram and Motorcraft filters. Whatever is available at WalMart at the time.

i use wix gold and mobile 1 5w20 did the oil change 2 days ago so we will see if the problem goes away...but it does sound like loud injector rattle...doesnt sound timing related.

does it do this when the air is on or does it just always do it ?

all the time.

I have to drop to neutral when sitting in the drive-thru lane.

I think it's the missfire though.

My lean bank 2 code leads me to believe its the side not under the manifold, so I will replace those 3 first.

Nope. The 3.0L V6 is a derivative of the Duratec in the Taurus and Sable from 1996 until their demise in ~2006. The 3.9 is pretty much the same as the Jaguar 4.0L; different bore.

There is no way the Ford gasoline engine would be a version of a GM diesel engine. Ford injectors aren't a stranger to noise.

Thanks for clearing that up LS4me, now I won't look like a JACKson when I post something

On the modular's it is VERY common for a bad timing tensioner. I've not had to tear my 3.9l apart but I think I know what sound that you are talking about. Try to use a good filter as suggested (Motorcraft(same as >>>), Purolator, Wix, K&N, etc...).... Also try some BG MOA. It is made by BG Products and is some of the best stuff out there.

You could have bad lifters and causing a valve noise....

I have an 05 Ls With 3.9l and 46'000 miles on it. The problem I have is the engine making a very loud ticking noise at start up. It sounds like lifter or valve noise.

I've had this noise. About two months ago I had my idle pulley replaced, it was bad and causing a rattle/tick like you describe.

I posted the original thread. I have since noticed a ticking when the engine is at about 3000rpm with a load on it. I'm at my whits end with the car. I've already tried the filter change and already run synthetic oil. I'm really starting to think that the car is a lemon.

I've been having the same problem with my V8 for some time now. I tried Quakerstate Q hourse power and have had the problem since. This is the first time I herd about the oil filters. I've been leaning to the timming chain tenssioner. I hear the ticking at idle and at 3000 rpm under load. The oil filter would be a cheaper and easier solution, so I'll try that first. But if that dosen't fix the problem, I'm going to take off the timming cover and go to work.

Members online

No members online now.
Back