X3 datalogging...

ripped camel

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I'd like to datalog with my X3. Can someone explain what PIDS are? or how to do this datalogging?

When do I start the car? (sounds like a dumb question but I was told starting the car can fry the handheld)

I'd like to get a datalog of exactly what this car is doing.

Here is a walkthrough for datalogging on the device using the X3 or the SF3. Put your keys in but don't start the car.

•Plug in the X3/SF3 to the vehicles OBD2 port.
•Scroll down to Data Logging, Press Select.
•Then Scroll down to Setup Data Log, Press Select. Pick Diesel or Gas, then press select.
•You are now ready to pick the pids.
oSelect them by highlighting them and then pressing select. You’ll notice that an Arrow will show next to the PID once selected.
oYou can select up to 20 Pids. NOTE: Default parameters are generated from a generic list of readable PCM parameters. It is possible that some pids shown will not be log able on your particular vehicle.
•Press Cancel to Exit from the list of Pids.
•This will bring you to a Save Data Configuration Menu.
oSelect – Save OK, Left – Back, Cancel – Exit
•Start Data Logging
oSelect – OK, Cancel – Exit
•A Message will display stating to make sure the vehicle is running, press Select to Start Recording.
•Once The Log has started, you can press LEFT/RIGHT arrows to view additional PIDS.
•Select will Stop Recording.
•Cancel will Exit the Log.

•You can Review this Log using a Computer with Livelink 4.24 or greater installed.
•Once 4.24 is installed and open…
•Then press: File/ Import Data log file from X3/livewire.
•A pop up box appears, Select Datalog0.dat from the list, then Press Ok.
•This will open and display the saved datalog

Here is a walkthrough for datalogging on the device using the X3 or the SF3. Put your keys in but don't start the car.

•Plug in the X3/SF3 to the vehicles OBD2 port.
•Scroll down to Data Logging, Press Select.
•Then Scroll down to Setup Data Log, Press Select. Pick Diesel or Gas, then press select.
•You are now ready to pick the pids.
oSelect them by highlighting them and then pressing select. You’ll notice that an Arrow will show next to the PID once selected.
oYou can select up to 20 Pids. NOTE: Default parameters are generated from a generic list of readable PCM parameters. It is possible that some pids shown will not be log able on your particular vehicle.
•Press Cancel to Exit from the list of Pids.
•This will bring you to a Save Data Configuration Menu.
oSelect – Save OK, Left – Back, Cancel – Exit
•Start Data Logging
oSelect – OK, Cancel – Exit
•A Message will display stating to make sure the vehicle is running, press Select to Start Recording.
•Once The Log has started, you can press LEFT/RIGHT arrows to view additional PIDS.
•Select will Stop Recording.
•Cancel will Exit the Log.

•You can Review this Log using a Computer with Livelink 4.24 or greater installed.
•Once 4.24 is installed and open…
•Then press: File/ Import Data log file from X3/livewire.
•A pop up box appears, Select Datalog0.dat from the list, then Press Ok.
•This will open and display the saved datalog

Thanks. I figured out how to use it but I can't figure out which file will tell me the a/f ratio. I clicked on 02 sensor and it was giving me o2 voltage readings. :confused:

An X3 will not tell you the A/F ratio, you need a Wide-Band O2 sensor and controller to do that.

An X3 will not tell you the A/F ratio, you need a Wide-Band O2 sensor and controller to do that.

oh....that sucks.

So how does the computer know when to compensate for when the engine gets lean? I thought datalogging would show you all the same stuff the computer sees?

is there any parameters I can check to lead me to my misfire?

Members online

No members online now.
Back