Im back, kinda.

CrackerJack

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
So, this weekend my car decided that at 99,300 miles sit would burn 3 quarts of oil and wreck a bearing on the crank or some :q:q:q:q. Horrible knocking noise, uncle says its :q:q:q:qed. Now what really are my choices? assuming its a bearing, the options that were immediately presented were machine the crank smaller, use over sized bearings, replace the motor. I can grab a motor around town for just over a grand with 105k on it. Anyone know how much for parts? labor is free (Thank GOD!) so I just need time and parts. :(

Much appreciated!

I thought he had a gen2. Upgrading to a gen2 wouldn't be a bad choice.

Welcome back

if your gonna spend a grand......spend 2,500 and get a "0 mile" remanufactured engine that will last alot longer.

lsdarkshadow, that's quite the jump. Like 150% jump. 1000 is way different than 2500.

Remember guys, He can get the labor for free. I was talking to him a couple days ago, and the only issue I see with replaceing a rod bearing is availability of the part. I don't know if we can buy replacement bottom end stuff.

Yeah, I still gotta be able to live after fixing this thing. The hard part is finding what really needs to be fixed without pulling and disassembling the motor. Nic knows a guy at the dealer so we get wholesale prices here in town.

Also, its nice to have a helpful forum to fall back on when everything turns to absolute :q:q:q:q

I don't really know what happens when you spin a bearing. For example, I don't know if bent valves would be a possiblity since the engine is an interference engine. Even if that were the case, I see complete heads go for 100-150 a piece on craigslist.

Also don't know what damage would be done to cylinder walls when a bearing is spun.

Called about 80 yards today looking for a motor, apparently there are only like, 4 gen 1 motors in the entire state of MN. And the best one has a broken valve cover. (Thank god, something I can use from my old motor!) Anyways, still waiting to hear how much to actually replace the motor, but Im set on one for $850 right now...

alright guys, here is where I could use some real help. A friend of my uncle said to replace the motor would be 23-25 hours, and around $800 to $900. Anybody in Minnesota, Twin Cities, St Cloud, Brainerd, anywhere near HWY10 or 169 north of the cities; if you know a mechanic that you know or recommend could you ask for a quote on changing the motor for an 02 LS? Ive been at it all damned day :( next cheapest I found was 1k

Thanks, Tyler

Also, I will have a motor that I can part out. As long as its not the right side valve cover or anything to do with the crank, its for sale. Also, I have a NAPA Gold stock air filter I used for 2 days before I made my intake. Happy Hunting Gentleman!

Hit up Brandon KK you met him at the meet we had last year.

The Kid can turn a wrench.

Comes highly recommended from me, he is the only one I let work on my ride when I get into a time crunch and can't do it myself.

PM pete or me for his number.

Changing an engine in an LS is no walk in the park. I would guess that the quotes are pretty close to reality. The engine and subframe/crossmember have to be dropped out under the car, so some lifting of the car is needed in order to pull this off.

What are some project completion times of members doing this in the past?

I guess that what I am saying is that to me, it is worth $900 or $1000 if you can get someone to do that job right.

What I heard was that the entire suspension needs to come out, tranny too, and then still the motor is nearly stuck in the damned car. Hes a reliable guy but damn, he doesnt sound too thrilled.

LOL I bet not.

Tell him your money is green :)

There is no doubt in my mind he would do the job right, but this is no one day project.

Gonna take like 2 weeks, paying under the table and as a side job. Got the motor today; looked at it and was like wtf its a gen2! but really I never seen how far back the motor goes and the intake was right. Also, damn, the bell housing for the trans is almost as big as the motor itself!

Members online

No members online now.
Back