HID questions.

DJ put it in better words than I did. But basically all I was saying is there are times when HIDs in newer higher end SUVs and even some Acuras are really intense and blinding even though they are stock. And especially on bumpy roads.

On the other hand I certainly agree with M4rk that headlights not designed for HID can cause all the issues he said for the resaons he said. Look at this,

http://assets.pakwheels.com/forums/2009/8/15/beam_1GD_PakWheels(com).jpg

http://media.photobucket.com/image/hid reflector beam/dcmaylo/DSC_0084.jpg

Now, again on my 02 I had the Xetronic Digital 4300K kit and my beams did not look like this. They also did not look like my 06 beam pattern either. But for the Gen II there may be more glare and things. I know the reflector is different from HID to halogen so that also might have something to do with it. Also like Mrk said, the DR2 bulb has a coating on the end of it.

i think what most are trying to say is that some of the trucks that have projectors made for hids( like a ranger rover hse sport for example) that sit high would blind most people in a car with similar ride height like the ls or even worse some lowered cars. you also have to factor in quality of roads since some uneven roads tend to help in blinding drivers by bouncing the cars all over the place and therefore the headlamps. so even tho the projectors have perfect cut off and are aimed properly, they still might blind oncoming drivers as opposed to a car fitted with hids in a halogen housing.

A car fitted with HIDs in a halogen housing will blind people more, period. Of course, there are some exceptions.

The issue with all SUVs is simply that their headlights are high off the ground, as relative to other cars. I find it that its mostly halogen reflector SUVs that blind me, rather than the ones equipped with HID projectors. Either way, in a HID application, projectors yield zero glare in most cases, and a significantly better light output.

If someone wants to put a rest to this, go up to a flat wall at night, and take a good picture of the cutoff and glare. Preferably, both an under-exposed and over-exposed picture. No cellphone pics.

i think what most are trying to say is that some of the trucks that have projectors made for hids( like a ranger rover hse sport for example) that sit high would blind most people in a car with similar ride height like the ls or even worse some lowered cars. you also have to factor in quality of roads since some uneven roads tend to help in blinding drivers by bouncing the cars all over the place and therefore the headlamps. so even tho the projectors have perfect cut off and are aimed properly, they still might blind oncoming drivers as opposed to a car fitted with hids in a halogen housing.

This is exactly what I was thinking. Newer SUVs and trucks are getting bigger and higher off the ground which puts the beam from their headlights right at the eye level of most cars. Whether or not they have projectors, they still blind you more than my headlights will. If it is such a problem, then why don't police pull people over for improper equipment?

I love the OEM HID housings I installed. Just want everyones opinion (since there are a lot on this post) what should I do about the High beams? Leave them? Also what about the fog lights? Coated halogens? Lastly on eBay there are Chrome turn indicators, anyone have them and if so do you like them? Thanks in advance!

I love the OEM HID housings I installed. Just want everyones opinion (since there are a lot on this post) what should I do about the High beams? Leave them? Also what about the fog lights? Coated halogens? Lastly on eBay there are Chrome turn indicators, anyone have them and if so do you like them? Thanks in advance!

keep your high beams halogen. you can try getitng ahold of some nokya piaa hella or some other higher end bulbs for use with the high beams since you usually need high beams in situations where timing is critical. hids take longer to power up because the gas needs to heat up inside the bulb.you can go with hids for the fogs but you are going to piss off the old farts and or super educated people (no pun intended) on here if you do because of the glare. so just do it who cares the fog light sdont really blind you unless you are like standing directly in front of them with your eyes peeled all the way open like if you are on a 24 hour cocaine binge

My opinion on the hi-beams: Leave as is.
Fog lights: Leave them turned off, they don't seem to be much use with low beam HIDs anyway.

the fog lights in general aren't much use to most of the people on here that won't ever really encounter some fog, especially since they have the wrong color temperature to actually improve visibility when you use them in situation where there is fog. but, since most people have them on for show, the fog lights do improve visiblity of the ground and have a rather wide dispersion pattern when turned on which in turn some people will complain about road glare when turned on after let's say some rain...

For the Gen2's it was my understanding that the HID vs non-HID reflectors were exactly the same. If that was true then I wouldn't expect a HID retro into a non-HID housing to be any different than OEM...

For the Gen2's it was my understanding that the HID vs non-HID reflectors were exactly the same. If that was true then I wouldn't expect a HID retro into a non-HID housing to be any different than OEM...

They are not the same. Different reflector bowl patterns and the OEM HID comes with a cutoff shield.

I have an 06 with factory HIDs and an 04 with factory Halogen. They are very different reflectors. We had someone on here (who had neither) swear up and down that they were the same. He based this on the fact that the plastic housing has both the HID and the halogen part numbers stamped on it. That's because the plastic is the same. However, the reflectors inside the plastic are very different. I posted pictures once.

The reflectors are different. I saw a picture comparing the light paths of halogen vs hid reflectors. Each little square cut, reflector section in an hid headlight is placed at an exact position to work together to get a cut off line, but halogens just have an even bowl reflecting lights with no cut off

well i went ahead and ordered some 55w 6,000k good ones from the House of HID... ill be taking pictures once instaled and they will be "good" pictures as i have a DSLR.

well i went ahead and ordered some 55w 6,000k good ones from the House of HID... ill be taking pictures once instaled and they will be "good" pictures as i have a DSLR.

:lol:

it was bettween that and 35 i figured why not go with 55 :shifty: lol so we will see how it goes if they suck they suck im not one to just throw them in there and roll with it ill make them so they are the best they can be with out blinding people

I went with a cheap ebay kit and it's been in for over 4 months now with no problems and lots of brightness, lots of people flashing me, there was a cop in front of me and turned his lights on and got out of his car and came to my door and told me to turn my brights off, my point being 55w 5000k is not what you want...sooo.. :p I ordered a ddm tuning slim kit 35w should be coming in....right about.....now :p

All non-OEM brand HID kits are created equally as poor. It's all low quality China crap.

Moreover, those 55W kits aren't true 55W. They are simply overpowered.

All non-OEM brand HID kits are created equally as poor. It's all low quality China crap.

Moreover, those 55W kits aren't true 55W. They are simply overpowered.

+1.

You dont think about it but do some research it comes up a lot and it makes perfect sense. Aftermarket hids companies dont have multi-million dollar contracts with car companies that enable them to actually put interest or be able to drop millions in the research and quality of their product. Phillips and Sylvania are the 2 top companies the car industry go to for lighting. They have to have good quality stuff or they will loose millions to the other.

well after doing some more research i decided to go with the 35w luckly i got to them before they shipped it out. we shall see if they suck like every one on here says ;)

Members online

No members online now.
Back