INT LED install with pictures

duckytoos

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I finallly got my LED's earlier last week. Put them in but didn't take any pictures during the install. It started getting dark and I thought the photos would come out too dark. So I thought I'd take apart the lights so I could get some pictures of how I did my install today after my 4th of July BBQ. Hope this helps others planning on doing the install. I bought my LED's from eBay for $12 shipped. Sorry the photos aren't the best, mobile pictures.

Heres some shots from between the headliner and roof with the sunroof open. Had to be careful pulling the headliner to make enough room to allow me to push the clips in far enough to come out. I use a long flathead. Towards the area where the lights are there are some other clips, the little metals ones that are easier to get apart.

Photo0322.jpg

Photo0323.jpg

Photo0325.jpg

Next to reach the little tab on the connections for the buttons I used this tool to push them in and take them off since my hands would fit. I don't know what its called. I just know the sound it makes when it takes a clip apart.
Photo0341.jpg

Dollar bill is just for reference
Photo0327.jpg

Look at the heat damage on the plastic! :eek:
Photo0330.jpg

Here are some of the back lights. After removing th O-$hit handles you can see the plastic bracket and reflector that hold the incandescent lightbulb. You can either use a small star to take off the cover or just take out the socket like I did. Once again that little tool helped a ton for that.
Photo0334.jpg

Pushing in the front tab
Photo0335.jpg

Pulling in the back tab. This one would probably be a pain with that tool because there is no window in the back of the plastic bracket like there is on the front and sides.
Photo0336.jpg

Photo0337.jpg

Photo0340.jpg

good info and pics. before and after pics when lit would of been great. tell us more about the LEDs u used.

I just used some from ebay, won a few pairs each for 99 cents and shipping was a couple dollars. Heres the picture of the leds I used. I just searched "White SMD LED 194" I won a few pairs of them so I saved with combined shipping and they fit the license plate lights too so I got them changed also. I think the license plate bulb is listed as a 168, but the LED's used fit a 168, 194, and I think a couple other sizes. I didn't do any shots of the foot wells being that those are pretty straight forward to change out.

be05_121.jpg

Heres some of the license plate
Photo0297.jpg

Photo0300.jpg

Photo0302.jpg

Cleaned them up too. Surprised how much hard water buildup the had. Used a detail brush and then hit it with some Mequiar's PlastX Polish.
PIC_0016.jpg

Also, some will notice I didn't use any resistors, I thought I'd see how much they'd glow on the off position before soldering any resistors on them. I don't even really notice the very faint glow at night out of my perepherials. They actually give off a nice faint courteous glow. Reminds me of the mod someone was talking about earlier. Installing recessed LED's in the domes that glow on the console like the Beamers.

I went the eBay route because they were so inexspensive that the v-leds route. The only problem I came across is the colors of my puddle lights and my interior lights are not EXACTLY perfect. Maybe its because I went with the 12 LED festoon instead of the usual 6. Not very noticable but looks tons better than the incandescents. Puddles are INSAINLY bright though. So I think if you're willing to spend 4 or 5 times more and have them all at 5 or 6k than v-leds is the way to go. I didn't even break $35 for my 7 interiors, 2 puddles, 2 reverse, and 2 license plate. Still need my 212 for the trunk though. Thinking about an LED strip and a mod'd second light on the left.

I used a load of ebay leds myself for my first gen, first gen lights are 212 in the dome.

How I did my domes.

For my domes I took out the screws in the sunvisors, pulled down the velcro holds near the moonroof and then just pulled the whole headliner down. Its held in place by two clips in the center and it came down about 2 inches. I could easily access the bulbs from the windshield side. Needed a pretty good tug tho, lol.

I did a complete blue LED Interior and white license plate LEDs so far. Up next is the puddle lights. Just need to order my bulbs and find the time for that lil project.

blueint.jpg

Not the best quality pic but you can get the idea.

Yeah LS4ME, I want to do something like that soon under the rear deck. I think a while back I saw someone that put in a second light on the driver side, it looked like he used another factory housing like the one on the right but fit it in the left side. Came out looking factory. I liked that one.

Yeah LS4ME, I want to do something like that soon under the rear deck. I think a while back I saw someone that put in a second light on the driver side, it looked like he used another factory housing like the one on the right but fit it in the left side. Came out looking factory. I liked that one.

I went LEDs because the stock light is too dim. The 6 strips I have light the inside of the trunk like daylight! The ones in the lower portion of the trim piece (below the trunk latch) light up the spare tire well nicely.

I went LEDs because the stock light is too dim. The 6 strips I have light the inside of the trunk like daylight! The ones in the lower portion of the trim piece (below the trunk latch) light up the spare tire well nicely.

i bet, that looks like it no joke, that sh!t looks like it burns with the fury of a thousand suns

Members online

No members online now.
Back