To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before

GMAN

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I like trying thinks that hasn't been done before. Or at least I think it hasn't been done. It's been talked about, but most discouraged. It's been described as a PITA project, it's been said that it can't be done. :shifty::shifty: Really?? Well, I have nothing but time and a boatload of patience. What am I talking about? I am talking about Gen2 everything interior into a Gen1. Why do it? Why not. I have a complete Gen2 sitting there. So I am going to do it. I've been studying this for the past week, and the way I am going to tackle this is to:
  • Completely remove the Gen 1 interior.
  • Completely remove the gen2 interior.
  • Take the complete wiring harness from the Gen 2 and transplant it to the Gen1.
  • Swap over AC Box and anything else that is different on the Gen2.
This project is very doable. I think I'm in a unique situation than most, because I already have everything.

Ok for all you nay skeptics, I know you have something to say.

I say...DO IT.

Dont stop at the interior, go the "full pull" and put the OBD2 system in there too!

That opens up them options by a large margin

^ my member supporting post for the week of 06-24-2010

GO GMAN GO!
^supporting post #2!

Greg, this will be a huge task. Take your time, go slow and take lots of pictures and notes.

I would seriously like to see you pull this off.

#1 skeptic reporting sir.

generally and normally speaking you would be correct on your assumption and expectation.

but when someone comes up with the "right idea, for the right reason" I will gladly support such an endeavor.

I'm still wanting to do the gen2 door panels and rear seat back rest in my Gen1, already found the paint and adhesive for the interior blue, now I need the $ for parts

good luck with the project

Like you said, not often someone has two complete cars sitting next to each other. Makes it so much easier to see the differences side by side.

I'm still wanting to do the gen2 door panels and rear seat back rest in my Gen1, already found the paint and adhesive for the interior blue, now I need the $ for parts

good luck with the project

back seat is easy...96's had em.

door panels are doable too

have fun. after just having my dash out, i can tell you that it will not be any fun.

Yea, I would probably never try this if I didn't already have a donor vehicle. I've already done a Gen1 single din to double din swap, and that went off without a hitch, and that car is still on the road.

i can tell you that it will not be any fun.

some peoples idea of fun, varies..greatly.

some people think that running til they shyt themselves and pee blood is fun.

that is roughly the punishment level this project could lead to IMHO, but.. it's not impossible with enough sweat(it IS texas) blood(skinless knuckles) and tears.

At first plan, I don't plan on doing anything with the motor. The motor is excellent and purrs like a kitten. I don't want to change anything. My mechanic actually suggested this to me. I was thinking of getting another gen 2 and swapping the interior. He said why? You got one here. Today was the first time I actually really drove the 93 after all the issues were taken care of. It is defiantly faster than the gen 2. So now I will have the comfort and styling of a gen 2, and quickness of a gen 1.

I think I speak for all of us when I say; "We look forward to your progress my man!" I'm sure plenty of us would love the Gen II dash on our Gen I's... You are about to do what the designers at the FORD plant did back in 1996 when they designed the 97!

back seat is easy...96's had em.

door panels are doable too

The entire car can be "doable" on flips of interior and exterior parts, I've seen pics of gen2 rear ands on gen1 and gen1 front clips on gen2s...
I know the rear seat is doable..I can even use the gen2 rear seat in the gen1, just have to cut notches in the back dash...the panels are floppable, but the handles must be drilled and re-rivetted.
Off the top of my head the only interior part that can't be flip flopped without the other is a seat/console conversion

I'll be the first to bring this up. I'd love to see this done but you are going to run into some issues with the obdII vs obdI protocols. While you may pull this swap off and get the car to "run", there is going to be several issues. First is the instrument cluster. I'm pretty sure it won't talk to an EECIV. Second is the Information Center, same issue as the instrument cluster. Third is the EATC, same issue as instrument cluster. Fourth is and this is a maybe if you decide to use it, the Driver's Door Module, Driver's Seat Module and Passenger's Seat Module. Fifth is the tilt/tele column and if you decide to use it, the power memory mirrors.

The easiest and best (IMHO) is to pull the wiring harness from the front bumper all the way back to the rear quarters in both cars and swap harnesses, then swap interiors.

You could maybe kinda do a piggy back EECV and use that to be the foundation of the obdII network needed for the i/c m/c and all the other stuff needed. That would be a lot more work involved and a wiring nightmare to say the least.

With that being said, I wish you the best on this project and I really hope that it works out well.

Ya, I'm pretty sure this is what you have in mind, but I would swap the engine harnesses, and like Laser said that would most likely be just the coil covers and some sensors. Some engine sensors may be different, but they will be in the same location on both motors. Also the trans harness will be different. You just may have to repin the connector at the transmission. You will also have to add a gen2 exhaust for the 02 sensors, or you could use a programmer to delete them I guess. But on the interior, I would swap the body harness, but possibly splice the harness that goes to the tail lights, they arent that complicated. If you have a bare shell though, I dont see how anything isn't possible. I dont know if structurally the firewall is different, but I would bet money that with the exception of some holes, which you could add more if needed, everything will hang on the firewall. Wish I was in Texas, I'd love to help see this come to completion, sounds interesting.

Changing the interior of the car should no way have any affect on whether or not the engine management system is ODB1 or ODB2. The driver information center gives off the same messages, with the exception of the Gen 2 giving you the day of the week. If we picture both cars bare, I mean nothing in them but sheet metal, what would be different? This is how I am going to approach this project. Starting with an empty house (The Gen1) and move all of the upgraded comforts and ammenities of the Gen2 into it. This can't be done until the whole electrical wire harness is layed out onto the shell of the car. If the interior wire harness plugs into the main plug of the 93, and I see no real reason why it wouldn't then I will be good to go. If not, then I will tackle whatever problems as they come up. ;)

int008.jpg

int010.jpg

int011.jpg

I like trying thinks that hasn't been done before. Or at least I think it hasn't been done. It's been talked about, but most discouraged. It's been described as a PITA project, it's been said that it can't be done. :shifty::shifty: Really?? Well, I have nothing but time and a boatload of patience. What am I talking about? I am talking about Gen2 everything interior into a Gen1. Why do it? Why not. I have a complete Gen2 sitting there. So I am going to do it. I've been studying this for the past week, and the way I am going to tackle this is to:
  • Completely remove the Gen 1 interior.
  • Completely remove the gen2 interior.
  • Take the complete wiring harness from the Gen 2 and transplant it to the Gen1.
  • Swap over AC Box and anything else that is different on the Gen2.
This project is very doable. I think I'm in a unique situation than most, because I already have everything.

Welcome to the final frontier! I wish you all the luck in the world with this. I would love to do it myself. Having both a '96 and '97 in the driveway, I can understand the desire to have the much nicer GEN2 interior in the GEN1 body. Good luck and live long and prosper!

You will have to keep the gen1 dash gauges and prolly the steering colum and forego the harness swap and just keep it cosemetic. Gonna have to make a spot to mount the TC button. You could swap the the steering colum but thats gonna cause ignition and switch issues all just to have power tilt/telescope and you wont be able to interface it with the gen1 memory recall I dont think.

I was mentioning all the engine stuff, to make the gen 2 cluster work...

Members online

No members online now.
Back