Holy Smokes does the AC kill HP!!!!

guinnessman

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Today it was 92 degrees outside, i used the AC.. I had to floor it to merge onto a highway, and it felt as if there was a 400lb person sitting in the passenger seat...WTF!??

Why does the AC kill acceleration so much?

I turned it off, and she felt so much faster.....

because of the a/c pulley.... it is run on the serpentine belt, and when you engage the ac it causes a lot of friction on the whole pulley system,

it is not just our cars, every car equipped with ac has the same thing

Yes, the compressor clutch should disengage at WOT if the Mark VIII is like most other cars.

yes, every car i have had starting with a 1984 model would cut the a/c off at WOT.most every brand of car does this.

Also i can barely tell the a/c is running on a mark 8, on my old tempo it was a big deal,but on a v8? barely notice it in daily driving.

Im in AZ so I run my A/C all year long... Cant even tell its running when Im just driving around town. But it does shut down when you go to W.O.T. Just stay there long enough and you will feel warmer air blowing out.

On my SHO, the A/C compressor would KILL my power, however, I found out shortly after that it had some damaged reed valves inside and wasn't working efficiently. I replaced my compressor with a reman'd Motorcraft and the power loss was barely noticeable anymore. That car was a 6 banger. There could be something wrong with your compressor, but I wouldnt but money on it, that was just my experience.

Same here. The A/C kills the power on both my '96 and '97 LSC. I don't think there's anything wrong with either of them. They both blow ice cold air. But running the compressor dramatically reduces the power and kills the gas mileage also. But at least it's not as bad as the old 1980 Mustang 2.3L automatic I had many moons ago. That car didn't have enough power to get out of its own way to begin with. When I turned on the A/C, it felt like I was going to have to get out and push it.

I cant really tell. More so cause it kicks off when I nail it.

put your hand over the vent when you floor it, it will stop blowing cold air at you but not immediately

I shut the A/C off today when I stepped on it and wow did notice a power difference. To bad it was 100 degrees outside so I turned it back on before I even hit second. hahaha

I shut the A/C off today when I stepped on it and wow did notice a power difference. To bad it was 100 degrees outside so I turned it back on before I even hit second. hahaha
do you know of anyother people in az? i want to have a meet..

With the Pro Racer software one can control when the AC clutch disengages based on RPM and even load I think.

Members online

No members online now.
Back