Removing the Starter

GMAN

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I am trying to remove the starter on the 93 and am running into some challenges. Has anyone removed their starter and if so, how many bolts are there to remove? I have pulled one so far and another that I am not 100% sure is holding the starter in place, as you cannot visibly see the bolt. My knuckles are pretty tore up and am having a heck of a time with this!

all i use for the 2 outer bolts is 3/8 ratchet, 3 inch extention, shallow 10 mm, for the bolt inside, closest to the block, 6 inch extention instead of 3 inch.

There is 3 total, but you only need 2...I also run with the outer 2 only...well actually I run with 2 cuz one of the eyes is broke off.

I actually got the tow bottom ones off, the one on top closest to the block is the one that's giving me the most problem. I have to wait until tomorrow now. :mad:

It's a pain but doable. It's harder to put the 3rd bolt back in and many don't.

I won't remember for sure until tomorrow when I start my engine swap, but I'm pretty sure I use a 10mm ratchet wrench for the bolt closest to the block...

I even texted you this :rolleyes:

Disappoint I am, young Jedi :mad:

I read your text Jeff. I got two of the three bolts off. I wasn't able to break the grip of the third bolt. I'm trying to figure out the correct amount of socket/extension.

there a bitch on all in the towncars, grand marquis, vics, and marks...

from my grand marquis days many just left out the third bolt..

I'm about to admit defeat with this last bolt. I cant believe something so simple like this is giving me this much problem. There is no room to maneuver in there. :mad:

I'm about to admit defeat with this last bolt. I cant believe something so simple like this is giving me this much problem. There is no room to maneuver in there. :mad:

When I replaced my starter, someone forget to anti-seize the bolts so I ended up striping out the thread, luckily it was one of the lower bolts and I drilled thru and put a nut on the back side!

Been there.

Use multiple extensions, and swivels and attack it from the front of the engine compartment.

Have a friend hold the socket to keep it from sliding off the bolt while you rotate the wrench.

Feel free to not put that top bolt back on when you're done.

I cried uncle on that starter, and took it to the Mechanic. :mad::mad: The damn third bolt was cross threaded from the last starter job and had to be cut off.

Members online

No members online now.
Back