Painting a car with a roller

ford nut

Local nut case
Reaction score
OK now I have seen it all.

Found this looking around at a forum I snoop around at.
http://www.mercurycougar.net/forums...tobucket.com/albums/d13/69martin/DSC02769.jpg

28110_1316148509897_1416265771_30931989_3726217_n.jpg

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=2331682&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1

DSC02769.gif

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Something tells me I will have to try this.

Very interesting. I'll be buying a beater 95 accord shortly, and this may be a fun project.

Very cool actually. Lots of work, yet not when you consider the mess of spray.

i saw that a long time ago too, people posting paint roller and brushed jobs that actually look good!!

my buddy did it to his mustang he was selling....didn't look great but for 30-50 bucks you cant go wrong.

Hot Rod magazine did a whole series on it a couple years back. They called it their $99 paintjob or something. It turned out pretty good, but it was so labor intensive it was ridiculous.

Hot Rod magazine did a whole series on it a couple years back. They called it their $99 paintjob or something. It turned out pretty good, but it was so labor intensive it was ridiculous.

It was actually an 09 issue. Cool stuff though.

I painted my '79 Merc with spray-bombs kind of like the Hot Rod article, though I did mine many years before they did, and it turned out good. Lasted decently too, but had to be more careful of scratches. Took about ~15 cans and a ton of labor but I had it done in a weekend or so (well the painting part, then I had to put it back together. I spent a week total on it.)

I must be living under a rock, I never heard of anyone doing this before.
Painting is a ton of work.

I can see this taking more time, but worth it.

It was actually an 09 issue. Cool stuff though.

i read this in hot rod too. As far as I'm concerned it's ridiculous, but i work in a body shop. Hot Rod said to thin the paint to "melted ice cream consistency" then you have to wet sand between every coat. It's way easier to just spray it and be done. It'll look better too.

i read this in hot rod too. As far as I'm concerned it's ridiculous, but i work in a body shop. Hot Rod said to thin the paint to "melted ice cream consistency" then you have to wet sand between every coat. It's way easier to just spray it and be done. It'll look better too.

And it's cheaper!

Oh, wait, no it's not, its thousands of dollars more expensive.....

Next month they will probably have an article on how to paint your car with your weed sprayer.

Painting car with paint roller

I have used a paint roller many time for many projects, but I would perfer to use a paint mit, one that has a little handle and is made of lamb wool, this works great. They can be purchased at Home Depot for around $6.00.

This reminds me of a Datsun 510 we painted in autobody in high school. The car came in and they had painted it with a roller. Look like a big orange peel. Thank god for aircraft paint remover. I could only imagine the work that will go into a task like this.

And it's cheaper!

Oh, wait, no it's not, its thousands of dollars more expensive.....

I'll guarantee you that it is cheaper to spray it...if your time is worth anything that is. Besides it's not going to save you that much in material either and the prep would be the same too.

I'll guarantee you that it is cheaper to spray it...if your time is worth anything that is. Besides it's not going to save you that much in material either and the prep would be the same too.

The author of the Mopar post may in fact be a liar.

He claims 50 bucks for his paint, 30 for his rollers.

If it cost 3 times that amount, it would be 20 times cheaper then a 'professional' paint job.

What is my time worth? Depends, does the grass need to be cut, dog brushed, house cleaned.....funny, I don't get paid for that either....:D

yea but it's still not a prof paint job. Gotta compare apples to apples. I can buy a gallon of enamel for $35 and shoot it out of my $25 paint gun and be done in an hour and have it look just as good.

If it cost 3 times that amount, it would be 20 times cheaper then a 'professional' paint job.

What is my time worth? Depends, does the grass need to be cut, dog brushed, house cleaned.....funny, I don't get paid for that either....:D

how much did he spend in sandpaper sanding between coats. How much did he spend on compound and sandpaper buffing out the orange peel?

But if you notice the Charger guy is Canadian and we are crazy remember!!

The paint is $50.00 a gallon for the Tremclad as well.

if you find someone to pay you for the chores let me know quick. I've been trying to find someone to pay me to sit and home and watch t.v. or work on my own :q:q:q:q. lol

Members online

Back