exhaust opinions

MMAFIGHTER121

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Ok, despite some financial setbacks I now am making my exhaust, I'm probably going to go 2.5 in with x-pipe, no resonators, and magnaflows at the rear, i saw a video or two of it, but i don't want the LOUDEST just a little more growl and more powahhhh.. so... I know a few of you HAVE it, what are your opinions on mild driving with the resonatro delete and magnaflows? i know theres a million and a half threads on it, but rather than skimming them I just want a few quick owner opinions.. oh and the length of pipe if they remember ;-)

To ensure I won't make others jealous I won't be talking about the length of my pipe ;)

I have gutted cats, magnaflow dual in dual out X muffler in place of the third cat, and dual magnaflows out the rear. It is not loud at all. It has a light growl while not getting the attention of any of big brothers henchman while dumping on it.

It's quiet for my taste, but I've grown to like it. Makes it sound more like luxury muscle, than muscle car.

What do you think of gutting the cats compared to replacing with straight pipe?

If you have a visual inspection and don't want to have to put cats on everytime you go through emissions, make the fake cats. The straight replacement pipes are the only way to go though. I'm running my SVT Focus that way, with the dummy unit for the rear O2 sensor it goes through emissions without an issue since it doesn't get a visual inspection and runs clean for codes. The CAT's been off the car for years now (and carrying around 20lbs less of ugly fat never hurt either).

No inspections in MN :D

Finding a shop to do it is rather difficult though.

No resonators sounds like sh*t, IMO. Also IMO, Bassani mufflers are the way to go. The Magnaflows never did it for me as far as sound went.

Not to thread jack but i figured i'd ask since its the subject, i was curious what you guys thought about 2.5" piping with high flow cats X pipe and borla mufflers no resonators? past that any suggestions i saw the vid with the bassani setup thats nice i like how it sounds. If you wouldnt mind would you give me the specs for your bassani setup cause i do like that sound.

Whoops sorry, I didn't realize this was LS. I just clicked on the thread through the homepage....Fail on my part :shifty:

On my Mark VIII gutting the cats absolutely gave a power increase. I was supposed to get them (my cats) replaced with a straight pipe, but the guy came back and said "your driver side cat is attached to the header so we just gutted the cats instead of straight piping it". I was pissed! I told him before they were attached and would need to be cut off and a straight pipe welded in place.

If possible straight piping is the way to go because it is smoother airflow. Gutting the cat equates to a more turbulent airflow but less restriction. People have argued with me over and over about eliminating the cats but I've had before and after results with my GT and I made decent gains deleting the cats.

OP, i have the res delete and magnaflow mufflers. i must admit that the scavenging, from what i believe to be from the res delete is annoying. however, i really do like the fact that it only "growls" enough that it isn't annoying. if i'm going at say 40mpg and i take my foot off the throttle the car is pretty much silent which is something i really like. i do not like blatant sound and this fits my needs perfectly. the only thing i plan to add is the x-pipe. i've been looking for the bassani one to no avail thus far though

i saw the vid with the bassani setup thats nice i like how it sounds. If you wouldnt mind would you give me the specs for your bassani setup cause i do like that sound.

Wish I could give you the specs on the mufflers, but I bought them used off of a member here. They were 2.5" center/center type mufflers and I had a pair of AeroTurbine resonators ahead of them. The video of the gray car on YouTube was my car. The Bassani video with the silver car was the guy I bought from who had no cats on his car, so you can kinda hear the sound difference.

If the magnaflows dont work for me I will try bassani next.Nothing like trial and error. Atleast I'll know first hand how each exhuast set up sounds and performs instead of reading about it.

Well i looked on the bassani site and i think i found the ones you have NYC and i found ones with the offset in center out as well. i actually like the sound on the other car a lot so i think i'll go with that except im keeping cats cause i live in texas and dont feel like dealing eith inspection issues, thanks for your help.
Would anyone recomend going high flow cats with a custom setup or just 2.5" from the stock cats?
If it helps i have a 2002 LS V8

to clarify i'll go x pipe instaed of resonators. I heard one clip of it and it sounded nice. I may a little better money wise but still not out of the woods so whats the average price diff between bassani and magnaflow? i'd imagine a decent penny.. i mean it seems to be unversally preferred bassani from what i've seen around here, but is it worth the extra loot?

i dunno .. i looked at a few vids and I'm not sure I'm in love with the raspiness of the bassani.. but i am looking for a more.. "european" sound whereas the magnaflows seem to go more muscle-y rumble.. hmm...
edit: also what type of x pipe have you been using?

Last edited:
Thats your next exhuast set up? I know you have or had the slp resonator and cats, no mufflers.

Current setup is stock cats, x-pipe, SLP resonators, no stock resonators, no mufflers..

Next setup is going to be the mostly the same but Im going to use a different x-pipe, high flow cats and different tips.

Not to thread jack but i figured i'd ask since its the subject, i was curious what you guys thought about 2.5" piping with high flow cats X pipe and borla mufflers no resonators? past that any suggestions i saw the vid with the bassani setup thats nice i like how it sounds. If you wouldnt mind would you give me the specs for your bassani setup cause i do like that sound.
Not really a thread jack - its exactly the same as what I was thinking - only id keep the stock cat for financial reasons and I was up in the air over what muffler to go with

Members online

No members online now.
Back