'02 Reliability - Overall Thoughts?

Jettix2

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Reading online the LS has a kinda bad rap for reliability.

My current "fun" car is an '05 VW Passat 1.8T AWD Stick with 44k on it, and I've had 3 coil packs, 2 valve cover gaskets, 2 timing chain tensioner gaskets, and a turbo replaced....ALL under warranty. At this point, that car is rock solid, fast, fun, and paid for.

But we fell into a good deal on an LS this week and couldn't pass it up. Trying to decide whether to keep it for myself (sell the VW and put 4 Grand in my pocket), or pass it on to the parents to put into commuter service.

Lincoln is an 02 LS V8 Sport with 39k on it. As I posted up in the Welcome board, it needs brakes all the way around (it was obviously not driven much), including a LR caliper that seems to be sticking.........also needs filters and fluids changed. I notice the LH steering wheel controls are inop (clockspring) and seemed as though the headliner at driver's A pillar was damp when we washed it (sunroof drain disconnect in the pillar).

Otherwise (knock on wood), the car runs, drives, and looks AWESOME. It was a one-owner car, owned by an employee of mine who didn't need it any more.

So, being a low mileage '02, that will probably only see 5,000 miles a year of use, how *bad* is the reliability likely to be? Coil packs/Trans springs etc etc are not things I really want to encounter (not saying that the VW would be perfect if I kept it, either). I had read on an Edmunds forum that by '02, some of the initial bugs had been worked out of the LS chassis and that it would be a better bet than an '00 or '01.

What are your thoughts?

Ben

If the coils and/or valve cover gaskets haven't been replaced, then you know those will be coming up sometime. The time they start failing varies could be 60-100,000.. Who knows.. If you fix it yourself, you save yourself a crap ton of money.

Beside for that, the LS is a fun car to drive. I know that if sunken a crap ton in my car but it was well worth it! It's fun to be luxury when you want then when someone is going 35 in a 55, kick it down and get a wheel chirp while passing :D.. I would not regret buying this car one bit.

Also, :W

you aren't getting any wheel chirp, get back into reality!!!

this is a first...I have never agreed with you, nor thought that I would, but this time.....I agree with fordfan.

unless he is running bald 155's

Mine doesn't 'chirp' on shifts, but I have 245-45-18 PS 2s on.

You should expect to do a clock spring, coils, plugs, gaskets, a trans flush, and some other miscellaneous things by the time you get to 85K or so. I bought my '02 new and now have 140K plus on it. It's a keeper. And welcome!
KS

(I just put on my 4th set of tires, I have replaced pads and now need front rotors because of pulsating pedal, I'm on my 4th alternator and second battery, I will replace the fuel pump soon, and I need shocks. And don't forget plug wires! :) :)

Members online

No members online now.
Back