Another ebay coil bites the dust

Outkast

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
third one since I bought the ebay lifetime warrenty coils..

does the white marks in the boot mean anything in particular?

Picture053.gif

I left work, and got about 1 mile down the road...all of a sudden, it started shuddering bad, and the CEL was flashing. All I could think of was how mad Joegr would be if he saw me driving with the light flashing..lol

anyway, I had to drive about 1.5 miles with it flashing, the all of a sudden, it stopped...drove the rest of the way to Advanced auto with a slight miss, hooked it up and got a cylinder 1 misfire. Got it home, and replaced #1 and its almost perfect. As soon as I hit the gas, it misses 1 time, then clears up and runs fine...could I have a junk plug? As soon as money allows, I guess I'll bail the ebays, and go motocraft....

You could try new plugs.. Make sure the gap is right.. Also, could be a clogged fuel injector? I read somewhere that someone was having that problem and couldn't figure out what it was.. Replaced that injector and all was good.. Are the plugs golden brown, black, or white (the burn)?

this AM I can say its definatly another coil failing too. Guess I will be going to the parts store again. :(

Holy hell.. Mine didn't fail like that.. I've had mine in for about 8 months (global-automotive) and they seem to work fine.. Did you stretch the spring out a little? Some of mine were two far in and would barely sit on the top of the plug.. Maybe that was causing the white dust?

nope, mine all seemed to click right in. My first one failed 3 days after the swap...these two are about 4 months old now...Probably have 3200mi on them...maybe less.

Well mine have a few less miles than that (car has been sitting for the winter).. I used a fair amount of di-electric grease on the tip of the plug. I also stretched the spring on all of them.. A little on the ones that fit good, a lot on the ones that were wayy off. It's a spring and will compress. Sometimes, the "clicking in" could be confused with the coil's weatherstripping (the rings around the boot). It feels like a positive click on that too.. A good way to tell is pull up on the coil. If it comes out, it's not on all the way. The spring should hold and when you pull softly, will notice that it wants to go back in..

Edit:
My springs were flush with the boot when I put them in..

number 4 this am WTF?

ok, so it has a slight miss, then if I romp on it, it will clear up till the next time I idle.....plugs?

also, it never misses in the morning...well, for the first 10-15 minutes of drive time. I know the coil is at fault here, but im looking for a why..

Well I would try the plugs because they cost less than replacing all the coils.. My guess to the 10-15 minutes would be the metal is expanding (idk on what.. maybe coil?) and then starts missing.. In my danger ranger, the oil pressure gauge reads no pressure but when it warms up (like 5 minutes) it reads excellent pressure the rest of the day..

I would replace the plugs and stretch the springs on the coils out.. Somewhere to start..

Ohh.. My dads F-150 doesn't really do that but right now it does idle ruff because it needs new plugs so maybe I just can't notice it. I think his truck looks harder to change than the LS! :D

Had the same issue. Changed plugs 3,200 miles ago along with all new cops from global- automotive out of Miami. Used dielectric grease when putting them on. All of a sudden No 4 decided to start missing. Well I've sent two (2) emails twice each to the two email addresses provided over three (3) weeks ago and still have gotten no response. Also tried calling and left messages but, no return call. Yet there still selling cops on E-bay! Suggest you stay away from them even though they claim a lifetime warranty they apparently have no desire to make good on any defects. Changed bad cop with new on from NAPA and all is good!

I still have no problems. Been almost a year. Like I said above, it looks like the springs on them need to be pulled out to ensure a proper fit on the plug.

i havent had a problem with the ones i have from them and i've had them about 8 months

Same here been maybe a year now no problems ( *Knocks on wood*) yet that is haha

Members online

Back